Grado RS1i Impressions thread
Jul 31, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #1,336 of 2,110
Nice carrying case, Wormsdriver—where did you get it?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ILFB8MK/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d1_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1TNE1QZ7ZAK3V779J0D7&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200482&pf_rd_i=507846

Perhaps wormsdriver knows a better place with more selection, etc.

Jul 31, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #1,337 of 2,110
Cool, well you know there are plenty of authorized dealers
who will let you check out the e's for the purchase price;
just be sure of the return policy. 

They really do sound great IMHO

Good advice! I always felt iffy about buying and returning, but now I realize that lots of dealers do have these policies in place to accommodate this market.

Nice carrying case, Wormsdriver—where did you get it?

Thanks! They used to sell them on ebay, but they are no longer available. :frowning2:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ILFB8MK/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d1_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1TNE1QZ7ZAK3V779J0D7&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200482&pf_rd_i=507846

Perhaps wormsdriver knows a better place with more selection, etc.

Yeah, same maker, but now they only make this brown leather version and no longer the nylon.

Aug 1, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #1,338 of 2,110
I emailed Grado about the protruding drivers and this was their response:

Hi Nathan

it was done to accommodate the larger driver

So that settles that.  Given how many people seem to find that protrusion uncomfortable, I was hoping it would have been related to the resonance damping tweaks done between the driver and its housing to make the tradeoff worthwhile, but apparently not. 

I'd still really like to try these out for myself. 

Aug 1, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #1,339 of 2,110

Hi Nathan

So that settles that.  Given how many people seem to find that protrusion uncomfortable, I was hoping it would have been related to the resonance damping tweaks done between the driver and its housing to make the tradeoff worthwhile, but apparently not. 

ha! there goes my theories!!!
biggrin.gif

good info, thanks!

Aug 1, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #1,340 of 2,110

Hi Nathan

Perhaps this new protruding driver will lead to
a new ear cushion for these headphones, the "E Cush" 

Aug 1, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #1,341 of 2,110

Hi Nathan

+1

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #1,342 of 2,110

Or just put flats on them...

Aug 2, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #1,344 of 2,110
Personally, I would prefer an L cushion as comfy and the previous two RS1 models

Aug 4, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #1,345 of 2,110
My worry is that the comfies would reduce the soundstage on the RS1, I personally prefer the L-Cush on any Grado headphones.

Aug 4, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #1,346 of 2,110
My worry is that the comfies would reduce the soundstage on the RS1, I personally prefer the L-Cush on any Grado headphones.
I also prefer the L-cushions on my RS1's, though I do like using the g-cushions for a change on occasion.

Aug 4, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #1,347 of 2,110
I have not yet tried the G-Cush on the RS1, I feel there is not enough "bass" presence in the RS1, in that it will dissipate with the larger cushions, what are your impressions on the bass when you have the G-cus on your RS1

Aug 4, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #1,348 of 2,110
L[M]S, I really like the g-cushions with the RS1's. With my WA6 I do have to turn the volume up to about 2 o'clock to get the same impact as when I use the "L's". With good recordings I get the same bass but better instrument separation. All I know is that my ears like it. With certain cuts it's kinda trippy man!

Aug 4, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #1,349 of 2,110
L[M]S, I really like the g-cushions with the RS1's. With my WA6 I do have to turn the volume up to about 2 o'clock to get the same impact as when I use the "L's". With good recordings I get the same bass but better instrument separation. All I know is that my ears like it. With certain cuts it's kinda trippy man!

Ha! nice :). I had an epic scare yesterday while I was listening to "Bonobo - Kong" yesterday, I noticed a low frequency grattle in my RS1i's, anyway, I am listening to the same track right now with the SR125i's, and getting the same grattle, I think it is a poor file. Good to know it is not an issue with the RS1!!

Aug 4, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #1,350 of 2,110
LC, Seriously!, L-cush with any Grado, even the 1000s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back