Grado RS1i Impressions thread
Jul 28, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #1,306 of 2,110
  Agreed - I wanted to like the R1e much more than I did but couldn't get past the comfort issue. It's almost as though they were built for a G cush or modified L cush with more distance but never quite got there. I was bouncing between R2, PS500, and R1 (all e versions) and landed on the PS500e in part bc of this specific issue. Just couldn't get comfortable and when I contacted Grado their recommendation was just to stretch the headband a bit. 

Haven't seen many strong reviews of the newer R1e and guessing the R1i will go down as a long time winner.

Any comparisons out there of newer PS500e with RS1i?

+1

I wrote about this in the e thread, and even took pictures to show how much shallower
the 1e cups are than the 1i.  (I had both at the time).

Eventually, though some aspects of the 1e were sonically quite exquisite,
I returned them.  Just too uncomfortable.

Jul 28, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #1,307 of 2,110
+1

I wrote about this in the e thread, and even took pictures to show how much shallower
the 1e cups are than the 1i.  (I had both at the time).

Eventually, though some aspects of the 1e were sonically quite exquisite,
I returned them.  Just too uncomfortable.
I wonder if the folks at Grado are aware of the fit issue with the 1e's?

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #1,308 of 2,110
here’s the thing. the driver - the actual moving diaphragm - is not sticking out. The diaphragm is in the larger outer plastic ring that is flush with the front face of the wood.

maybe there’s a mm or two difference in the distance from the wood to the driver face compared to the old model but it’s not moved up as much as the elevated plastic housing is.

there’s pics in the e series thread showing the diaphragm and housing if you’re curious.

wondering if you still think that the drivers in the rs1e are no bigger than grado used in previous series or did the pics that ttvj posted in the e series thread cause you to change your mind? feel free to pm me if you want coz i'd genuinely like to know. :wink:

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #1,309 of 2,110
wondering if you still think that the drivers in the rs1e are no bigger than grado used in previous series or did the pics that ttvj posted in the e series thread cause you to change your mind? feel free to pm me if you want coz i'd genuinely like to know.
wink.gif

No, you genuinely don't want to know but I'll say it anyway. They're not 50mm. they changed the baseline of their measurements which made their claim very odd and created all this confusion in the first place. if they wanted to be consistent, they would have said that all their old drivers were 46mm and the new ones are 50mm. but old drivers were always listed as being the diaphragm diameter - 40mm.

Changing a measurement baseline like that is bad measuring and using it in promo material is bad ad copy.

I saw the pics of the bare driver for the new RS1, PS1k and GS1k. The driver size looks to be somewhere around 45mm plus/minus a bit. the exterior plastic casing is 50mm. the part that sticks out is the same 46 mm as before.

And, as per the conversation that one member had with John Grado plus additional measurements here, the PS500 driver is exactly the same size as the old one, so the ad copy on the PS500 grado site saying it's a larger 44mm driver is wrong.

In one of my earlier posts, I allowed that it was possible the RS1, GS1k, PS1k driver (diaphragm) was larger than 40mm but still not 50mm. I was skeptical on that point because we knew of the mistake made on grado's site regarding the PS500e driver size. But it looks like that was indeed the case. those three headphones have drivers around 5mm larger than the ones used in the old models.

Jul 28, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #1,310 of 2,110
Agreed - I wanted to like the R1e much more than I did but couldn't get past the comfort issue. It's almost as though they were built for a G cush or modified L cush with more distance but never quite got there. I was bouncing between R2, PS500, and R1 (all e versions) and landed on the PS500e in part bc of this specific issue. Just couldn't get comfortable and when I contacted Grado their recommendation was just to stretch the headband a bit. 

Haven't seen many strong reviews of the newer R1e and guessing the R1i will go down as a long time winner.

Any comparisons out there of newer PS500e with RS1i?

I recently up-Gradoed [he ducks!] from my 60i’s to a pair of RS1i’s on clearance sale, and like them a lot (they are real winners on the comfort issue) but of course wondered about the e’s, which weren’t yet available. I run my headphones through an inexpensive tube amp (Bravo Audio Ocean) which gives an obvious improvement in sound. I wondered about the e’s of course. This makes me think that I definitely managed to hit the sweet spot within my price range; thank you. I alternated back and forth between the RS1i and PS500i when auditioning them, but finally settled on the RS1. Over at the Grado e thread there seems to be some emerging opinion that the new 500e’s are a significant improvement over their predecessors; maybe some day if I am feeling particularely flush I will comprare the 500e’s to my RS1i’s, but I have to work it into a fairly long business trip (no Grado dealers around here). Thanks again, DmixAmont.

Jul 28, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #1,311 of 2,110
No, you genuinely don't want to know but I'll say it anyway. They're not 50mm. they changed the baseline of their measurements which made their claim very odd and created all this confusion in the first place. if they wanted to be consistent, they would have said that all their old drivers were 46mm and the new ones are 50mm. but old drivers were always listed as being the diaphragm diameter - 40mm.

Changing a measurement baseline like that is bad measuring and using it in promo material is bad ad copy.

I saw the pics of the bare driver for the new RS1, PS1k and GS1k. The driver size looks to be somewhere around 45mm plus/minus a bit. the exterior plastic casing is 50mm. the part that sticks out is the same 46 mm as before.

And, as per the conversation that one member had with John Grado plus additional measurements here, the PS500 driver is exactly the same size as the old one, so the ad copy on the PS500 grado site saying it's a larger 44mm driver is wrong.

In one of my earlier posts, I allowed that it was possible the RS1, GS1k, PS1k driver (diaphragm) was larger than 40mm but still not 50mm. I was skeptical on that point because we knew of the mistake made on grado's site regarding the PS500e driver size. But it looks like that was indeed the case. those three headphones have drivers around 5mm larger than the ones used in the old models.

was genuinely interested but just lost it after that reply. believe what you like man.

Jul 28, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #1,314 of 2,110
I recently up-Gradoed [he ducks!] from my 60i’s to a pair of RS1i’s on clearance sale, and like them a lot (they are real winners on the comfort issue) but of course wondered about the e’s, which weren’t yet available. I run my headphones through an inexpensive tube amp (Bravo Audio Ocean) which gives an obvious improvement in sound. I wondered about the e’s of course. This makes me think that I definitely managed to hit the sweet spot within my price range; thank you. I alternated back and forth between the RS1i and PS500i when auditioning them, but finally settled on the RS1. Over at the Grado e thread there seems to be some emerging opinion that the new 500e’s are a significant improvement over their predecessors; maybe some day if I am feeling particularely flush I will comprare the 500e’s to my RS1i’s, but I have to work it into a fairly long business trip (no Grado dealers around here). Thanks again, DmixAmont.

Happy to help, and for what it's worth I'd strongly recommend auditioning (ie buying from somewhere you can return) a ps500e. I can't compare to the older version, but for my tastes it's just a bit more natural and musical and detailed (in the same fun grado way) than the rs1i. All my impressions from it have been un-amped, so take that as is, but they're wonderful and worth trying if you haven't committed

Jul 28, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #1,315 of 2,110
Happy to help, and for what it's worth I'd strongly recommend auditioning (ie buying from somewhere you can return) a ps500e. I can't compare to the older version, but for my tastes it's just a bit more natural and musical and detailed (in the same fun grado way) than the rs1i. All my impressions from it have been un-amped, so take that as is, but they're wonderful and worth trying if you haven't committed
DmxA, I think your on the right track with your comparison of the RS1i's and the 500e's. They both have that Grado house sound. For me the 500's, because of their metal over wooden cups, have a fuller bass presence. I do think the bass in the RS1's is tighter and more defined though. Personal preference and the kind of music you listen to being a big piece of which one you go for.

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #1,316 of 2,110
DmxA, I think your on the right track with your comparison of the RS1i's and the 500e's. They both have that Grado house sound. For me the 500's, because of their metal over wooden cups, have a fuller bass presence. I do think the bass in the RS1's is tighter and more defined though. Personal preference and the kind of music you listen to being a big piece of which one you go for.

I haven't heard the PS500e's, (though I hope to buy a pair very shortly.)

From reading the various Grado threads, particularly the more recent posts,
it seems that the RS1i and the PS500e are for two differrent customers.

In other words, one is not 'better' than the other.

As for the RS1e - I bought them and returned them after about 3 weeks.
Great sound; but that very shallow earcup was too uncomfortable.
(And I've been a Grado fan for a long time with no issues as to
thier comfort.)

Jul 28, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #1,317 of 2,110
Oh, I’m committed (at 30% off list the RS1i was a very good buy), but it was a hard choice between the PS500 and the RS1i. If there is indeed a significant improvement in the 500e, that could be decisive. All the aluminum-body Grados seemed to have a more precise, detailed sound than the plastic- or wood-bodied ones when I was auditioning them. Adding a tube amp might really make a killer combination. BTW, googling “Bravo Audio Ocean” this morning I found it on sale one place for $99 with free shipping (probably no sales tax either).

Jul 28, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #1,318 of 2,110

FWIW, I just compared my RS1i to the new PS500 e and I have to say I was impressed by the 500e. I could imagine wanting both. I have not heard the older 500's. But, at CAF recabled by Moon Audio-I thought they sounded smooth and fuller sounding than my RS1i w/ more base. But, the My RS1 sounded perhaps a bit more detailed..would need more time to really say. But they definitely had an appealing enjoyable sound.

Jul 28, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #1,319 of 2,110
  FWIW, I just compared my RS1i to the new PS500 e and I have to say I was impressed by the 500e. I could imagine wanting both. I have not heard the older 500's. But, at CAF recabled by Moon Audio-I thought they sounded smooth and fuller sounding than my RS1i w/ more base. But, the My RS1 sounded perhaps a bit more detailed..would need more time to really say. But they definitely had an appealing enjoyable sound.

+1 - waiting to hook them up to my Fiio E7 (used as DAC) > Schiit Vali to do a more proper test but I still am loving the PS500e straight out of MBP/ipad and that gets a lot of head time for me at home

Jul 30, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #1,320 of 2,110
I listen to a lot of female vocals music, and at the moment, my favorite headphones for this, are my HP1000, but I'm debating if I should buy a pair of vintage RS1 with the button, and hopefully the wooden box that used to come with them.

I still remember my first encounter with the RS1 non ''i'' model, I owned a pair of Senns HD600 at the time, and I was looking for a good quality extension cable for them. Long story short, when I got to the store I asked the salesperson if I could compare the RS1 with my HD600, so he se me up in a listening room. and the second that the music started I was floored by the clarity of the sound, it was like many veiled were lifted, letting me every détails in the soundtrack.

That was in 2006, and by the time that I sold my HD600, the GS1000 came out, and since I was used to a big soundstage, I now was able to have amazing clarity on top of that, with the GS1000, si I figured that it was a win win situation.

When the RS1i came out, I was looking for headphones with more midrange presence than my GS1000, my dealer lend me a pair, and did not care for them, so I took them back the next day. 

I then came across the deal of the century with my HP1000, so I figure that I was covered as far as having headphones with more midrange presence. But because I was so impressed with the vintage RS1, I thought I'd find a pair, and compare them with my HP1000, with some well recorded female vocals music.

By the way, if someone as had the chance to compared the old RS1 with the non ''i'' version of the GS 1000, I love to hear from you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back