Grado RS1i Impressions thread
Jul 21, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #1,291 of 2,110
Guys, I'd like a word of advice.

Bought an used RS1i from a Head-Fi'er last week and it looks like it suffers from what may be the Grado grattle. A type of distortion in the right driver, only heard at low frequencies at normal volume. I've read to gently blow in or suck out air on either side of the cup and when doing so I hear a faint popping sound (click in - click out) which makes me think there's a tiny tear in something down there. When I do the same to the left cup there's nearly none of that or much harder to reproduce the popping. Did anyone here get ''the grattle'' with especially the RS1i and is there anything else I can do except turning them in for repair? Any idea of what it would cost to have them checked out and fixed?

Jul 21, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #1,292 of 2,110

Bought an used RS1i from a Head-Fi'er last week and it looks like it suffers from what may be the Grado grattle. A type of distortion in the right driver, only heard at low frequencies at normal volume. I've read to gently blow in or suck out air on either side of the cup and when doing so I hear a faint popping sound (click in - click out) which makes me think there's a tiny tear in something down there. When I do the same to the left cup there's nearly none of that or much harder to reproduce the popping. Did anyone here get ''the grattle'' with especially the RS1i and is there anything else I can do except turning them in for repair? Any idea of what it would cost to have them checked out and fixed?

Yep, that's the Grattle. I'd contact the seller and let them know. See if you can return them for a refund if you got them that way out of the box. Worst case, you can send them into Grado for repair. I've seen costs of about $100 or so to replace the drivers. Good luck!

Jul 21, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #1,293 of 2,110
So, any ideas on why Grado decided to have the drivers protrude on the RS1e? 
(seen in this photo from Oracle:  http://cdn.head-fi.org/f/fb/900x900px-LL-fb42733e_RS1e3.jpeg )

I imagine moving the driver closer to the ear might allow for more room in the air chamber, which may be why most have said that the RS1e has a wider soundstage than the i.  This is the type of thing I'd love to hear someone at Grado detail, since this change was never mentioned in any of their e series hyping. 

Jul 21, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #1,294 of 2,110
here’s the thing. the driver - the actual moving diaphragm - is not sticking out. The diaphragm is in the larger outer plastic ring that is flush with the front face of the wood.

maybe there’s a mm or two difference in the distance from the wood to the driver face compared to the old model but it’s not moved up as much as the elevated plastic housing is.

there’s pics in the e series thread showing the diaphragm and housing if you’re curious.

Jul 21, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #1,295 of 2,110
I see.  But that still leaves the question of why go through the trouble of moving the outer screen and grill out toward the ear more...  especially when the RS1 is the only model that has this change.

Jul 22, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #1,296 of 2,110

Yep, that's the Grattle. I'd contact the seller and let them know. See if you can return them for a refund if you got them that way out of the box. Worst case, you can send them into Grado for repair. I've seen costs of about $100 or so to replace the drivers. Good luck!

Thanks for your response.

I contacted the seller but he doesn't really want to know about what I'm experiencing or working toward a solution. Very dissapointed about that so I'm hoping for him to come through one way or another. In the meantime, also based on what you're saying I already send them in for repair. Luckily there's a certified repair center in my country which makes it a lot easier and takes away some of the pain. Should have them back this week.

Jul 22, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #1,297 of 2,110
Hope you get it all sorted....they are just incredible headphones

Jul 22, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #1,299 of 2,110

I contacted the seller but he doesn't really want to know about what I'm experiencing or working toward a solution. Very dissapointed about that so I'm hoping for him to come through one way or another. In the meantime, also based on what you're saying I already send them in for repair. Luckily there's a certified repair center in my country which makes it a lot easier and takes away some of the pain. Should have them back this week.

That is really unfortunate, I really do hope you get this issue sorted out! Whirlwind is right, they are magnificent headphones!

Jul 22, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #1,300 of 2,110

So the seller isn't very reputable. I'd suggest you note that in his feedback as a warning to others if he doesn't come through.

Jul 22, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #1,301 of 2,110
Good evening guys!
I would like to have your opinion.
I'm not a true audiophile, and for reasons of space, i listen with satisfaction my music from a Zune HD and from my Pc (mp3 320 kbs and a few Flac).
I've owned Thinskound Rain (my little love), Vsonic GR06 and Westone 4 (My love). Having smashed the Westone lately and having a bit of discomfort in wearing the IEM, I would like to try a headset.
I immediately thought to Grado rs1i because they have always intrigued me.
The questions are
- Can i drive them decently with a Zune?
- If i'll pair the Zune with an Headstage Arrow?
- With a Colorfly c3 / 4 (but absolutely with no amp)?

And if in a distant future I would give a try to  a DAC in the range of 150/200 €, what would you recommend? Possibly good sounding and with wood finishes?
Thank you and sorry if I made stupid questions!

Jul 22, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #1,303 of 2,110
  I see.  But that still leaves the question of why go through the trouble of moving the outer screen and grill out toward the ear more...  especially when the RS1 is the only model that has this change.

Agreed - I wanted to like the R1e much more than I did but couldn't get past the comfort issue. It's almost as though they were built for a G cush or modified L cush with more distance but never quite got there. I was bouncing between R2, PS500, and R1 (all e versions) and landed on the PS500e in part bc of this specific issue. Just couldn't get comfortable and when I contacted Grado their recommendation was just to stretch the headband a bit. 

Haven't seen many strong reviews of the newer R1e and guessing the R1i will go down as a long time winner.

Any comparisons out there of newer PS500e with RS1i?

Jul 23, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #1,304 of 2,110

Haven't seen many strong reviews of the newer R1e and guessing the R1i will go down as a long time winner.

To be fair, there are barely any impressions of the RS1e available yet.  The few impressions I've read have actually suggested the e is better than the i, at least on the sound side of things (wider soundstage, clearer sound, fuller mids). 

Jul 23, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #1,305 of 2,110

Thanks for the support. It's nice to read
beerchug.gif

So the seller isn't very reputable. I'd suggest you note that in his feedback as a warning to others if he doesn't come through.

Oh, don't you worry about that! I have my revised feedback more than ready but will give him some time to respond. The repair cost me €125 and replaces both drivers. They're on the way back to me which is amazing lightning fast service on behalf of the guys at Tonar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back