Grado RS1i Impressions thread
Jun 20, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #1,171 of 2,110
  So I'm on my way back to the RS1, this time with the new RS1e from 4OurEars.com.  My first go around with these headphones was with the RS1i that I purchased form Crutchfield and kept them for the full 60 days and ultimately decided I liked the PS500 better and returned them.  

But now I don't need to decide between the two and will be keeping the RS1 no matter what, but I'm just wondering if I was amping them wrong by using a solid state amp instead of a tube amp that most people seem to be using with them.

I have the Schiit Vali now that I purchased to get a taste of tube amps, but I think I will be buying the Lyr2 or the WA6 to go with the RS1 this time.  Is this what most of you would suggest while using these headphones, or is there something else I'm missing; by the way the WA6 is the most I would be willing to spend on an amp.

(FYI) My impressions with the RS1i with my Asgard 2 was that it was very detailed with a nice sound stage and imaging but seemed sort of thin and light with the bass.  Anyways I liked it but at the time I could only afford to buy one.

all of the amps you're thinking about will be very good. i'd only add a little dot, mk 1+, or a mad ear+ hd , if you can find one used, usually
+/- $500

oh, and BTW, the mad is good with the hd800, ask whirlwind !

Jun 20, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #1,172 of 2,110

all of the amps you're thinking about will be very good. i'd only add a little dot, mk 1+, or a mad ear+ hd , if you can find one used, usually
+/- $500

oh, and BTW, the mad is good with the hd800, ask whirlwind !

Thanks jaywillin,

I'll look into these other amps some more, and I did read what whirlwind had to say about the mad and HD800 combo and that sounds very interesting to me so I'll be on the lookout for one for sure.

Jun 21, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #1,173 of 2,110
So I'm on my way back to the RS1, this time with the new RS1e from 4OurEars.com.  My first go around with these headphones was with the RS1i that I purchased form Crutchfield and kept them for the full 60 days and ultimately decided I liked the PS500 better and returned them.  

But now I don't need to decide between the two and will be keeping the RS1 no matter what, but I'm just wondering if I was amping them wrong by using a solid state amp instead of a tube amp that most people seem to be using with them.

I have the Schiit Vali now that I purchased to get a taste of tube amps, but I think I will be buying the Lyr2 or the WA6 to go with the RS1 this time.  Is this what most of you would suggest while using these headphones, or is there something else I'm missing; by the way the WA6 is the most I would be willing to spend on an amp.

(FYI) My impressions with the RS1i with my Asgard 2 was that it was very detailed with a nice sound stage and imaging but seemed sort of thin and light with the bass.  Anyways I liked it but at the time I could only afford to buy one.

I can't wait to hear your impressions on the new, larger driver! Technically, it should offer an instant increase in bass

I will say I find the rs1i to have much better bass than the rest of the line (that I've heard, which is none of the ps) and much better than many people believe, although still quite bass light compared to some other headphones. If they kept the liquid midrange, ultra-smooth treble but just upped the bass even slightly, the rs1e will be a giant killer!

Jun 21, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #1,174 of 2,110
" liquid mid-range, ultra-smooth treble but just upped the bass even slightly, the rs1e will be a giant killer!"

This is what I'm hoping for as well with these, so I'll be sure to report back after I've had some time with them.  I should get them by Tuesday.

Jun 21, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #1,175 of 2,110
congrats

Jun 21, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #1,176 of 2,110
  " liquid mid-range, ultra-smooth treble but just upped the bass even slightly, the rs1e will be a giant killer!"

This is what I'm hoping for as well with these, so I'll be sure to report back after I've had some time with them.  I should get them by Tuesday.

biggrin.gif

Jun 21, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #1,178 of 2,110
Jun 21, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #1,179 of 2,110
Rocking out to some Zeppelin right now with my PS500 and HD800's dreaming about the incoming RS1e that will complete the trifecta in my headphone collection. 
L3000.gif

Jun 21, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #1,180 of 2,110
  Rocking out to some Zeppelin right now with my PS500 and HD800's dreaming about the incoming RS1e that will complete the trifecta in my headphone collection. 
L3000.gif

are you listening to the new zeppelin hd release.....I have heard mixed reviews on those.

That will be quite the trifecta of cans you have there
smile.gif

I have actually been thinking about selling my rs1i and adding a planar and using a 225i for my grado fix.

Jun 21, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #1,181 of 2,110
  are you listening to the new zeppelin hd release.....I have heard mixed reviews on those.

That will be quite the trifecta of cans you have there
smile.gif

I have actually been thinking about selling my rs1i and adding a planar and using a 225i for my grado fix.

No I bought the box set of Zeppelin (CD) a few years ago and have been very happy with it, although I am intrigued by the recently released HD versions.  Of all the people I have been reading through on the Grado fan club and RS1 thread you would be the last one I would think to sell their RS1 (blasphemy).

Jun 21, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #1,183 of 2,110
  No I bought the box set of Zeppelin (CD) a few years ago and have been very happy with it, although I am intrigued by the recently released HD versions.  Of all the people I have been reading through on the Grado fan club and RS1 thread you would be the last one I would think to sell their RS1 (blasphemy).

Well, it wont be any time soon, but I think eventually it will happen.

I love them to death....it just becomes that they deserve most head time than they are receiving sort of thin

Jun 21, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #1,184 of 2,110
I've had 3 or 4 pairs of rs1's and I keep coming back. This time, I have an incoming Vintage Rs1 with pink drivers. Ideally, this is the pair I want to keep forever, but I'm afraid the drivers will f----- up on me since I want a pair to enjoy and not feel they belong in a museum! ha!

Guess I'll see, but one thing I've learned is that I definitely prefer the older Rs1 than the newer versions!

Jun 21, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #1,185 of 2,110
  I've had 3 or 4 pairs of rs1's and I keep coming back. This time, I have an incoming Vintage Rs1 with pink drivers. Ideally, this is the pair I want to keep forever, but I'm afraid the drivers will f----- up on me since I want a pair to enjoy and not feel they belong in a museum! ha!

Guess I'll see, but one thing I've learned is that I definitely prefer the older Rs1 than the newer versions!

Congrats on the pink driver RS1's.....very nice find.

Well, I have not gotten rid of them yet, and if I do.....yeah....maybe I will get them back someday.

Never say never!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back