Grado PS500s (new Grado's)
Sep 10, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #76 of 1,221
They also have them in chrome
biggrin.gif

Sep 10, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #77 of 1,221

Quote:

They all sound close. The SR-80 is 85% of the RS-2 to me. The SR-125i and 225 have a huge gap to my ears though. I guess it depends on what you listen to as well.

They're the same drivers. They're just sorted out using a "binning" process similar to other mass produced electronics. The "matched" drivers are matched to each other and are "within" spec, I feel the "throwaways" become the 60's and 80's. The "factory" tour photos show pictures of boxes of drivers and I guess those are the bins lol.

The same process is used for their phono cartridges. Their reference line vs their entry level stuff (both are highly revered among the audiophile circle) is just which one is tested within spec from the factory. In comparison LED technology (which I am pretty heavily involved in) is the same way, you wouldn't accuse Cree or Luminous of being a two-bit company, yet the different between a top binned Cree XP-G and a lower binned one is about 3x the cost. Heck, when you buy meat and fish, aren't the steaks binned as well, yet they're the same?

Considering that I still believe this to be true, I still listen to Grado simply because it sounds good. . I don't care for the build quality, headband, pads, cable, packaging, or how much they charged me to upgrade an SR125 to an SR125i, but if they honestly didn't sound good to me, I wouldn't have had so many models over the years. I have a bookshelf which is nearly end to end with the empty boxes haha.

All this aside, I'm still one of the bigger Grado fans on the board, weird eh?

Couldn't agree more!

Sep 10, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #79 of 1,221

Quote:
Has anyone noticed how many HF2 classifieds have popped up in the headphones For Sale threads in the past couple of days?

Any ideas if the PS500 will be shipped in the same old printed Grado pizza box?

LOL! pizza box! classic!

Sep 10, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #80 of 1,221

Quote:
They also have them in chrome
biggrin.gif

Has this been confirmed by Grado? Because I think I read somewhere that the production model would be matte.

Sep 10, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #81 of 1,221
First review I have seen:  http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue57/grado.htm

It's a rave.

Sep 10, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #82 of 1,221

Quote:

It's a rave.

Sweet, I'll go read now :)

Sep 10, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #83 of 1,221

Quote:

It's a rave.

The PS500s are the most neutral headphones under $1000? So it's better than the LCD 2 huh?

I didn't realize Grado is making such bargain-priced headphones.

Sep 10, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #84 of 1,221

Quote:

The PS500s are the most neutral headphones under $1000? So it's better than the LCD 2 huh?

I didn't realize Grado is making such bargain-priced headphones.

Haha, yup. Interesting review, looking forward to more opinions

Sep 10, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #85 of 1,221
Quoting from the review,

"They are an open air design, as are all high end Grado's". This seems to show that the reviewer doesn't know that all grados are open? I don't think the sr60s are high end anyway. 

"By being American made, they save big bucks from having to import phones from China" Are you serious? American made stuff cheaper than Chinese made?

Lol, think this review may not be that reliable.

Sep 10, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #86 of 1,221

Quote:
Quoting from the review,

"They are an open air design, as are all high end Grado's". This seems to show that the reviewer doesn't know that all grados are open? I don't think the sr60s are high end anyway. 

"By being American made, they save big bucks from having to import phones from China" Are you serious? American made stuff cheaper than Chinese made?

Lol, think this review may not be that reliable.

Yup.

Sep 10, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #87 of 1,221

Quote:

It's a rave.

Oh, nice.

*reads, reads*
Okay, neutral and clear.
Hmmm, what about treble characteristic? Bass extension, impact? So mids are not forward, not typical Grado house sound? So treble is soft yet detailed and pleasant unlike lower Graos?
There is a lot of comparing though none to the T1, HD800 or LCD-2 but rather to 2 other Grados and the Ultrasone Edition 8. Oh yeah, and saying it's on nearly par with the O2. In which is it, in which way isn't it? Everything is so vague.
Plus you get gems like

Quote:
[size=x-small]Audiophiles will love the truthfulness and tunefulness of these cans and feel, finally, that they have a truly 21st Century design that communicates the real thing, ...[/size]

Really really? You drop names like PS-1000 and Stax Omega and then write this?
Or lines like "[size=x-small]They are an open air design, as are all high end Grado's ...". Well, even the lowest and most earthly Grados are open back, dear sir.[/size]

I can't read much into this review to be honest. A lot of hype without any solid analysis of what his ears tell him, all it tells me is "they sound great, get them". I'll write for a review with more flesh, so to speak.

edit: yeah, seems I'm not alone in my opinion here
biggrin.gif

Sep 10, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #88 of 1,221
What a bunch of hype that review was.  I think this line tells us everything we need to know about that reviewer

Quote:
[size=x-small]the PS 1000s are the most detailed cans I know of, and are every bit as nuanced as the Stax Omega Electrostats. [/size]

rolleyes.gif

Sep 10, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #89 of 1,221
the writing in that review leads me to not trust the reviewer very much. very hyperbolic.

the only bit that “rings true” (though it may still be an exaggeration) is the comparison to the RS1, insofar as the PS500 is less coloured and more neutral than the well known RS1.

It would be interesting if these are more neutral than typical Grados, giving people who prefer less coloration something to consider.

Sep 10, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #90 of 1,221

Quote:
the writing in that review leads me to not trust the reviewer very much. very hyperbolic.

the only bit that “rings true” (though it may still be an exaggeration) is the comparison to the RS1, insofar as the PS500 is less coloured and more neutral than the well known RS1.

It would be interesting if these are more neutral than typical Grados, giving people who prefer less coloration something to consider.

Yup, I think the reviewer's comments with regard to the rs1 seem pretty spot on. Less coloured and fun?, more detail and neutrality

Users who are viewing this thread

Back