Grado PS1000 Owner's List
Jun 30, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #61 of 107
As noted in the other PS1000 threads - I received mine this week (#1593)... and... they are phenomenal (with a well matched set up)!  Very real, "You are there" sound quality that few other phones can match (that I've had / heard anyway)!

But... I would add... the PS500's are almost as incredible!  And... with the G Cushions (stadium pads) sound very similar!

Those that haven't heard these with the right set up are missing out on one of the best sounding phones available... "bar none."

Jun 30, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #62 of 107
Quote:
As noted in the other PS1000 threads - I received mine this week... and... they are phenomenal (with a well matched set up)!  Very real, "You are there" sound quality that few other phones can match (that I've had / heard anyway)!

rolleyes.gif

Jun 30, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #63 of 107
Quote:
Posting a picture of the relative size of the 325i to the PS1000. I was pleasantly surprised at the size difference, but haven't stumbled upon too many pictures that show it clearly. The PS1000 are monsters. Delightful, high fidelity monsters. (Apologies for the quality of the pic: taken on a first gen iPhone.)

Edited for me being an idiot and not re-reading the first time.

I love the look of the PS1ks...I know not everyone likes the chrome, but I find it really classy looking. 

Jun 30, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #64 of 107
Posting a picture of the relative size of the 325i to the PS1000. I was pleasantly surprised at the size difference, but haven't stumbled upon too many pictures that show it clearly. The PS1000 are monsters. Delightful, high fidelity monsters. (Apologies for the quality of the pic: taken on a first gen iPhone.)

Edited for me being an idiot and not re-reading the first time.

I'm guessing the band around the perimeter of the chrome is to stop fingerprints, no? I may have to try that with some translucent bands.

Jun 30, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #65 of 107

Quote:
I love the look of the PS1ks...I know not everyone likes the chrome, but I find it really classy looking. 

It took me about a year to get used to the chrome. I was expecting the old brushed look on the 325i (from a year and a half ago) and was miffed that Grado switched it up without any warning. But by the time I ordered the PS1000s at the end of 2011, I was hoping that they'd come in chrome. On my phones, the finish feels like it will last forever (although recent posts here indicate otherwise). 
frown.gif

Im guessing the band around the perimeter of the chrome is to stop fingerprints, no? I may have to try that with some translucent bands.

Austin, spot on, that is the main reason for the bands: keeping fingerprints off the chrome. There are other benefits: the bands are easy to grip for quick on and off and they are color coded L-R so I can pop them on without having to turn the phones every which way, which also keeps me from twisting the cable as much as before. The bands also offer more protection in case I bump the cans against something; I'm ham-handed, so its nice to have the insurance. Aaannnddd finally, I like the way the bands look. Ruggedized!

Jul 1, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #66 of 107
Grado should sell PS1000 with pair of matched silicon cup covers, or, sell you 2 pairs for the price of one, so you can beat up one and show to public/forum the other one.
Sorry for my sarcasm guys, but I dont believe other metal cup Grado's have that issue at all, maybe PS500?

Apr 27, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #67 of 107
I think I would prefer cotton covers (but for the pads), that's my only gripe with these (and a gripe with Grados in general) is I don't like the way the foam feels against my ears. That and a shorter extension cable lol.

But as far as the sound I wouldn't change a thing, outstanding!
beerchug.gif

Apr 27, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #68 of 107
Quote:
I think I would prefer cotton covers (but for the pads), that's my only gripe with these (and a gripe with Grados in general) is I don't like the way the foam feels against my ears. That and a shorter extension cable lol.

But as far as the sound I wouldn't change a thing, outstanding!
beerchug.gif

I agree, soundwise, i wouldn't change a thing either, but for me, the main issue that i have with the PS1000, is their weight, i have a smallish head, and everytime i lean my head back in my recliner, they want to slip off my head. the only other thing, is that i find the cable a bit on the short side.

Apr 28, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #69 of 107
Right, same here so I use their 5 meter extension cable, 1 meter would be much better
rolleyes.gif

Nov 19, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #70 of 107
Just got mine in July.  I'll post the serial number when i find it.  

The sound has been great from the beginning and been growing in "depth" as I use them.  I have them hooked up to a nuforce HDP plugged in via USB to a macbook pro.  Playback software is both Fidelia and Audirvana with high res tracks largely from HD tracks.  I find certain recordings play better through one or the other, thus I don't have a fixed preference.  Of the two I use Audirvana more but both are great and I love the format flexibility.  Now I just have to figure out how to arrange and catalog all those high res files while keeping iTunes match happy.  All my high res have to go on an external drive.   The Grado's have also had movies played back late at night via my yamaha RX1.  I was surprised how much sound stage was produced and appreciated the long extension.  I've even plugged them directly into my iPhone 5s for use with iTunes match and enjoyed the sound.These are my first high fidelity headphones, so I can't really compare against others.  

I was originally shopping for the Sennheiser HD800.  But after taking my computer and the dragonfly DAC to downtown Toronto for an afternoon, I gradually narrowed down to the PS1000.  I actually was not fond of the other Grado headphones, only the PS1000 stood out to me.  The HD800 seemed too bright.  Jazz and classical are two of my favourite Genres and i had two tracks that I listened to repeatedly with a lot of dynamic range.  I waited a week and went back to listen again, after getting a large case complete and being paid, and still came back to the Grado's.  Thus I was sold and definitely have no regrets.  I have a big head, so no real issue on fit, although I find I have to move the band further forward then I thought I would to be most comfortable. I don't find the foam scratchy at all, maybe I'm just insensitive.  :)

I did find a great solution for travelling.  We had bought some furniture sliders to move things around the house and they came with some cotton pads that you could fit over the vinyl sliders to use on hardwood floors.  It turned out they are the perfect dimensions with an elastic to loosely  but securely cover the Chrome finish.  The Grado's, my Nuforce and the power / USB all neatly tuck into a leather iPad sack that I picked up at a Fossil outlet (yes, the watch company).  For more portability I use a dragonfly USB DAC.  It may not produce the same power for the PS1000 but still does a great job in my uneducated opinion, and really cuts down on the weight when I'm travelling.  I live up in Canada and CBC music currently has "Drum Month" (Nov 2013).  Thus I am discovering the wonderful performance of Evelyn Glennie's greatest hits which they are streaming for free.  The entire album is percussion, all the way from deep drums to high pitched tambourines and xylophones.  It really plays to the Grado's strength of an open and neutral approach to the entire range of sound.  These cans will definitely be in my collection for a long time to come.  

Thanks for the great community

Nov 19, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #71 of 107
Glad to see you're enjoying your PS1000, I have had mine for about two years now, and I'm still amazed at how good they sound, especially when they're powered by a tube amp.

Nov 27, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #72 of 107
owner of pair #157 here.

i bought them as the demo model from a store(here in the Netherlands, it's an official seller), and even though they could use a polish, that's their only flaw. they still sound fantastic. (that cardboard box though XD)

Nov 27, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #73 of 107
That's what I call patina!

Nov 28, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #74 of 107
  As noted in the other PS1000 threads - I received mine this week (#1593)... and... they are phenomenal (with a well matched set up)!  Very real, "You are there" sound quality that few other phones can match (that I've had / heard anyway)!

But... I would add... the PS500's are almost as incredible!  And... with the G Cushions (stadium pads) sound very similar!

Those that haven't heard these with the right set up are missing out on one of the best sounding phones available... "bar none."

I'm really interested in the PS500 with G cushions as I have a pair and I've tried this mod and I'm interested in knowing its worth upgrading from the PS500 with the G cush to the PS1000's.Is the difference worth the extra money?

Nov 28, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #75 of 107
Well... I'm not sure I would say their sound is that much better than the RS-1's, or the PS500's.  

If you find them at a big discount... maybe... but, otherwise... probably not.  

They have a bigger soundstage, and a bit more prominent and refined highs... but... at a pretty high premium.

I've tried the G Cushions (Stadium Pads - I think) on the PS500's and they do seem to balance the sound a bit better and add soundstage - probably worth the cost.  Though, the bass may be reduced a bit - not enough to make much difference.  

They all sound so good... it's difficult for me to identify a favorite.

And... the amp... makes a big difference.  Interestingly enough... I think I found the MF X-Can v8 may have sounded the best with them.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back