Grado PS1000 Owner's List
Mar 18, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #31 of 107

Quote:

I'm quite happy to surf through 10 recordings, only to find the odd 1 or 2 golden nuggets that has me thinking 'forget headphones, these
are competing with $8,000 floor-standers'.

I'm with you. That's my same approach to speakers. I love that poorly recorded material sounds like crap on my Magnepans, because I know it's allowing me to hear the recording for what it is...lousy. And like you said, the flip side is that when I put in my Eva Cassidy: Live at Blues Alley disc, I'm in for not just a sonic treat, I'm being transported back to the venue itself and sitting there listening to the performance live. There simply is no "recording" anymore...I'm there with the music. I can always rely on music like my Foo Fighters CD to bring me back to the reality that I'm listening to speakers, of course, but it's a small price to pay for the pure bliss that comes along with the higher quality recordings.

Apr 10, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #32 of 107
Mine are the ''Bling'' version # 1724

Apr 12, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #34 of 107
makes me want them even more....

Apr 22, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #35 of 107
Just saw that my ancient thread is still alive (sort of :)).  Wow, so the PS1000 is up to 1700 or so?  Slowly but surely catching on, I guess.   Did John G ever explain why he switched from the matte finish to the chrome?  (I haven't seen any chromies in real life, but I think I would prefer my matte)...

Apr 22, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #36 of 107
I'll be ordering a pair of PS1000s in the next week or so. Based on my experience with other Grados I'm really looking forward to 'em and will post my s/n once I get them.

Apr 22, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #37 of 107

Quote:

I'll be ordering a pair of PS1000s in the next week or so. Based on my experience with other Grados I'm really looking forward to 'em and will post my s/n once I get them.

Lucky dawg!

Apr 22, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #38 of 107

Quote:
Just saw that my ancient thread is still alive (sort of :)).  Wow, so the PS1000 is up to 1700 or so?  Slowly but surely catching on, I guess.   Did John G ever explain why he switched from the matte finish to the chrome? (I haven't seen any chromies in real life, but I think I would prefer my matte)...

[bold text, bolded by lovleylady]

I read somewhere that the chrome was supposed to be more "durable" [read: cheaper]. Hehe, source unknown so really nvm that...

Cheers!

// #1378

Apr 22, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #39 of 107

Quote:
Just saw that my ancient thread is still alive (sort of :)).  Wow, so the PS1000 is up to 1700 or so?  Slowly but surely catching on, I guess.   Did John G ever explain why he switched from the matte finish to the chrome?  (I haven't seen any chromies in real life, but I think I would prefer my matte)...

I have the new, upgraded PS1000's and a review coming out next week here on Head-Fi. Anyway, it's a love or hate relationship with the chrome finish on the PS1000's. While I haven't yet tried the matte version (though I think I would enjoy it better), the chrome version does look very shiny but attracts a ton of fingerprints and minute hairline scratches that are visible in the light. The scratches and the fingerprints are the only reason I suspect the matter version might be superior.

Apr 22, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #41 of 107

Quote:
There's not supposed to be any difference between the matte and chorme version except visual.

LL

edit: spell

And more than likely feel, durability, shininess, and a lot of other things. Not just visual.

Apr 22, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #43 of 107

Quote:
Of course you're right, but there's not supposed to be any sonic differences.

Who knows? That's up to ones ears. 
smile.gif

Apr 22, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #44 of 107

Quote:

I have the new, upgraded PS1000's and a review coming out next week here on Head-Fi. Anyway, it's a love or hate relationship with the chrome finish on the PS1000's. While I haven't yet tried the matte version (though I think I would enjoy it better), the chrome version does look very shiny but attracts a ton of fingerprints and minute hairline scratches that are visible in the light. The scratches and the fingerprints are the only reason I suspect the matter version might be superior.

Obviously I haven't tried it, but couldn't the fine scratches on the newer PS1000s be removed with some automotive chrome polish? I asked Grado and they said the finish is "anodized chrome" (which sounds like chrome plating to me) so I don't see any reason why chrome polish wouldn't work.

Apr 22, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #45 of 107

Quote:
Obviously I haven't tried it, but couldn't the fine scratches on the newer PS1000s be removed with some automotive chrome polish? I asked Grado and they said the finish is "anodized chrome" (which sounds like chrome plating to me) so I don't see any reason why chrome polish wouldn't work.

Should work just fine, since it's anodized chrome. Feel free to try it if you have a pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back