Grado PS1000 Owner's List
Jan 25, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #16 of 107
1046 here.

Upgraded from 325is, apparently there are less PS1000 owner than I have thought, which makes me proud of my ownership.

It's expensive indeed, but I think it has a lot of potential and is a strong competitor. Definitely one of a kind experience for high end headphone listening.

Jan 11, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #18 of 107
Hello all. Hope this is the right place. Been quiet. Too quiet.

Proud owner of new PS1000 chromies, #1352. After fifteen hours, already opening up and mellowing. Based on my experience with my 325is over the past year, this is going to be a glorious journey.

Jan 13, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #20 of 107

Quote:
Congratulations! Hope you enjoy them as much as the rest of us!

Thank you, Mr. Priest.

And fitting that I am welcomed by someone with a Moby Dick quote in their signature; Moby Dick just displaced East of Eden and One Hundred Years of Solitude to take my 'favorite book' number one slot.

Jan 13, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #21 of 107
Not there yet...Working on it.  :)

Jan 14, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #22 of 107
Quote:
And fitting that I am welcomed by someone with a Moby Dick quote in their signature; Moby Dick just displaced East of Eden and One Hundred Years of Solitude to take my 'favorite book' number one slot.

Definitely my favorite novel, if not work of literature, or even art.

Btw, this thread never really took off -- there is a PS1000 appreciation thread that is a little more active if you are looking for other thoughts on the headphone.

Jan 14, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #23 of 107

Quote:
Quote:

Btw, this thread never really took off -- there is a PS1000 appreciation thread that is a little more active if you are looking for other thoughts on the headphone.

Thanks, Priest. I have the other thread subscribed too as well. I'm a newbie, so I am trying to follow the letter-of-the-law in my posts, hence the serial number going to this thread. Seemed more 'accurate'.
rolleyes.gif

With 20 more hours on them, the PS1000's are getting seriously good. Last night I was falling asleep listening to Emerson Quartet playing Bach's "The Art of Fugue" and I forgot I had phones on. I thought I was in a room, listening to a live quartet. Shweeet.

Mar 3, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #25 of 107

Quote:
1046 here.

Upgraded from 325is, apparently there are less PS1000 owner than I have thought, which makes me proud of my ownership.

It's expensive indeed, but I think it has a lot of potential and is a strong competitor. Definitely one of a kind experience for high end headphone listening.

#242 myself. I was thinking the same thing about how few PS1000 owners there are out there, but it makes me proud to be part of an exclusive club. I love these headphones and I feel like they never got the recognition they deserved like the Senn HD 800.

Mar 12, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #26 of 107
Mar 14, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #27 of 107
Thanks for the review, Gwarmi. Extremely fair. And you managed to focus in on the core issues really well; you put into words what I've been trying to 'finalize' in my own mind and experience with the PS1000s.

Mar 15, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #28 of 107

Hopefully it may entice someone reading it to break open the piggy bank and opt for a flagship that does not follow the usual common recommendations on here
smile.gif

Mar 18, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #29 of 107
Great review! Thanks for posting your positive impressions of these maligned headphones. I agree that fit is their biggest negative, and your point about already distant-sounding recordings sounding intolerably remote and flat on the PS1000 is a great observation. This probably explains why first-generation CD transfers tend to sound subpar on these to me.

Mar 18, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #30 of 107

Thanks Priest - it's the fundamental consideration with these headphones - quality versus quantity of excellent playback.

I've spent enough time with mine now to say that on average compared to an LCD2/3 or HD800 - playing it by the sheer number
of records, those headphones tend to offer an adaptable and presentable rendition most of the time, what ever the recording, even with the
odd harsh number - they work.

The PS1000 can be 'all or nothing' at times - my argument is, given how utterly stunning they can be when 'they do work' - it's a shame
that so many people on Head-Fi are missing out.

I'm quite happy to surf through 10 recordings, only to find the odd 1 or 2 golden nuggets that has me thinking 'forget headphones, these
are competing with $8,000 floor-standers'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back