Grado Modders Go Ypsilon (Elleven Acoustica drivers and builds thread)
Feb 23, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #496 of 722

Thank you fleasbaby 
wink_face.gif

You're right, they are not on the Audeze's site. But if you send them an e-mail here => http://www.audeze.com/support#suppot_how_to_help you can have the gimbals. They call it a yoke replacement kit. It cost around 40$.

Francky 
wink_face.gif

Sweet. Thanks Francky!

Mar 1, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #498 of 722
I have an RS2e, the highs are better (more extended and cleaner) on it but the over all sound of the Ypsiloon S2 driver is better due to it being better balanced from lows to highs.  The Ypsilon R1 is better in the mids and highs than the S2 but the bass is a touch recessed compared to the S2.

Thanks David

Apr 7, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #499 of 722
Did anyone try this wooden Audeze-like setup with different pads instead of original Audeze ones?

What are the exact measurements of the Audeze pads earpad opening, how deep is it in the front, how deep on the rear?

Apr 16, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #501 of 722
I received the new Ypsilon S2 and Epsilon R1 a few days ago, finally found the time last night to assemble them and have a good listen.
The Ypsilon S2 is a clear improvement over its predecessor, bass goes deeper and with more impact, highs have more sparkle but are never fatiguing, midrange kept much of their character, meaning very open and involving but at the same time they sound easier on the ears.
The Epsilon R1 compared to the Ypsilon S2 have some added qualities, better focus, midrange naturalness and leading edge definition, while adding resolution they don't sound brighter or edgy, bass is tighter, faster and with better definition.
I have to add though, that these differences are not a night and day situation and you need a good quality amplifier to set them apart, connected to a FiiO E07K the Epsilon S2 sounds 90% like the Epsilon R1 but when connected to the Violectric or Benchmark the differences are more distinguish and the Epsilon S2 sounds 70-80% like the Epsilon R1, hope that makes sense.
FWIW, the Epsilon R1 gave me the best sound I have heard in a Grado-ish design to date, remarkable.
On another note, while these are clearly tuned with L-Cushions in mind I have found the larger G-Cushions to work well, don't even bother with flats.

Fantastic. Are you planning to measure these? It would be wonderful if they could be added to your V7, Nhoord, Ypsilon S1 comparison. So many options!

Apr 16, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #502 of 722
Fantastic. Are you planning to measure these? It would be wonderful if they could be added to your V7, Nhoord, Ypsilon S1 comparison. So many options!

I've measured them some time ago, will post the graphs (time permiting) soon, FWIW the Epsilon R1 has the lowest Distortion (THD%) and cleaner Impulse Response - CSD of any driver I have ever measured in a Grado-ish design, sounds wonderful too.

May 2, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #503 of 722
I just got back my Ypsilon R1 build from an old GF and it seems to have more bass than what I remember it having since it now has a bit more bass than the original Ypsilon. She had the R1 for 2 months and she said she used it 2-4 hours a day so its possible the drivers take a long time to break in since I only had about 100+ hours on them when she borrowed them. Damn these sound good now.

May 2, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #504 of 722
I just got back my Ypsilon R1 build from an old GF and it seems to have more bass than what I remember it having since it now has a bit more bass than the original Ypsilon. She had the R1 for 2 months and she said she used it 2-4 hours a day so its possible the drivers take a long time to break in since I only had about 100+ hours on them when she borrowed them. Damn these sound good now.

You're not delusional :grin:.

My first R1 build took something like 150+ hours to get to it's full potential, but I do not listen loud or heavy bass music, which might be a reason.
My second R1 build went into a burning rig, that's two pillows in a suitcase playing some heavy D&B at medium-high levels for ~3 days, good thing is both builds sounds identical, no driver batch variation whatsoever.

May 2, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #505 of 722
You're not delusional :grin:.

My first R1 build took something like 150+ hours to get to it's full potential, but I do not listen loud or heavy bass music, which might be a reason.
My second R1 build went into a burning rig, that's two pillows in a suitcase playing some heavy D&B at medium-high levels for ~3 days, good thing is both builds sounds identical, no driver batch variation whatsoever.

I also listen at low to med levels of 65-75dB with peaks in the 84dB range so your thinking is probably the reason it takes so long for the R1 to settle into their best.

May 15, 2017 at 3:57 AM Post #507 of 722
Hi, I have a sr-60 and one side died a long time ago. Is it possible to change the drivers to either Magnum or Elleven drivers or do I need to get the wooden cups. Thanks in advance...
I believe either one of these drivers should fit fine on your sr60

EDIT: I stand corrected. Read this post, as far as the Ypsilon goes, you might have to do some sanding to accommodate their slightly bigger size

Last edited:
May 15, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #508 of 722
Hi, I have a sr-60 and one side died a long time ago. Is it possible to change the drivers to either Magnum or Elleven drivers or do I need to get the wooden cups. Thanks in advance...

You can reuse the cups from the SR60 but be careful removing the old drivers, might want to press them out or do what another did and cut away the glue with a craft knife.

May 15, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #510 of 722
Thanks to all for the reply. Will try to take out the old drivers and check.

Found this picture on how I pressed out the drivers:
Grado driver removal-1.jpg

How I placed a large coin over the driver to give a large area to press on
Grado driver removal-2.jpg

Note: you need to remove the outer cups first, these are just showing how I used a vice to do the removal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back