Grado Modders Go Ypsilon (Elleven Acoustica drivers and builds thread)
Jan 26, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #469 of 722
It's been a while since I had the Epsilon 1R. My first impressions while to some extent true tend to be colored too much by "it being new and the whole infatuation period of this is the greatest". So now I can fairly say that this is not the case.
To my ears, this is really my favorite headphones/driver. You can look at my profile or past and current but, I really love everything about it. Just the perfect bass, mids and highs for my taste, likes and preference.
Subjectively to me, these are the far the best headphones I have ever owned. I would love more detail of course, or even sound stage, but as far as everything else goes, I would not change a thing. Again, to my own likes, these are the best grado like and non grado like headphones to me!

biggrin.gif

This is of course with L-cushion pads. 

Jan 26, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #470 of 722
  It's been a while since I had the Epsilon 1R. My first impressions while to some extent true tend to be colored too much by "it being new and the whole infatuation period of this is the greatest". So now I can fairly say that this is not the case.
To my ears, this is really my favorite headphones/driver. You can look at my profile or past and current but, I really love everything about it. Just the perfect bass, mids and highs for my taste, likes and preference.
Subjectively to me, these are the far the best headphones I have ever owned. I would love more detail of course, or even sound stage, but as far as everything else goes, I would not change a thing. Again, to my own likes, these are the best grado like and non grado like headphones to me!

biggrin.gif

This is of course with L-cushion pads. 

got a picture of your build? what are the cups made off?  curious since my impression of the R1 is quite a bit different so it might be how they were setup.

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #471 of 722
  got a picture of your build? what are the cups made off?  curious since my impression of the R1 is quite a bit different so it might be how they were setup.

Here's the picture and I forgot to mention few details that due influence the sound.
First, I always use tape mod (actually it's leather strip around the bowls). So that slightly increases the mid bass, makes the mids fuller).
Second, I bought the mahogany cups from Etzy. But while they worked for the older Ypsilon and Nohoord drivers, the Epsilon R1 (and also the Ypsilon S2) are about millimeter (taller) more in height. So they protrude about a millimeter. So I imagine that is going slightly increase the mid bass and slightly bring up the mids and slightly decrease the treble (like flats but less so). But you are talking about ever so slight, very subtle at the most. But I liked the sound so much that I didn't bother ordering new cups that would perfectly fit the Epsilon Driver.  
The other cups that I use for the Ypsilon S2 actually are Rosewood and are deep enough but I liked the sound signature so much I didn't bother using for the Epsilon R1. In fact, I also let the Ypsilon S2 protrude by a millimeter in these Rosewood cups.

I never use the G-Cush because while they are more comfortable and give a wider soundstage. It just decreases the bass, thins and recesses the mids and increases the treble and makes it sound bright. I always prefer Flats or L-Cush.
I prefer a mid bass bump and fuller and forward mids and a treble that shimmers and gives the vocals and instruments air and breathe without sounding bright.  

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #472 of 722
@sling5s, thanks for the relpy, I think my leaving the driver the 1mm or so above the cups is the problem for me, I'll redo them and see how they sound.  Also, I really like the sound from G pads but the L pads do sound a bit more detailed I the mids and highs but the bass is actually better with the G to me.

Jan 28, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #473 of 722
Hello to you all,

All my apologies for your eyes, I'm french and I try to write in the best english I can.
When I posted on this forum where I can buy a better driver than mine for my SR325e, Konstantinos sent me a private message.
He said me: "There are better drivers available than the V7, try the Ypsilon S2 or Epsilon R1 from Elleven Acoustica".
He convinced me to test it and I ordered a pair of R1.

My Grado was modified with rosewood cups, G pads, a new wire and some modification on the Grado's driver but it was still not in my taste. A big lack in bass, Still bright in high frequency, but a very good midrange with a lot of details to my mind. But it was too hard to listen more than one hour.

So I read all the thread and I fell down on the Konstantinos's prototype "Gradeze" (A mix between the Grado and Audeze).
After some orders I have 90% of parts for my new headphone.
It's not finished but it works!

What the Hell!!! I listen it since 30 hours and I fell in love for this headphones!
Wonderful adjustable bass, it's deeper, robust and tight. Drums and bass on the last Metallica are just perfect! I'm a fanatic of the sound of the line of the bass of "Take the Power Back" from Rage against the machine and it's incredible. A mix between bass and low midrage just amazing! 
A perfect lovely midrange, I never heard the voice of Seasick Steve like that.
High frequency are never agressive, crystalline but never shiny.

A lot a details, and beautiful tone. Listening is more imersive than my Grado, and I don't want leave it.
I can't have a global listenning at this time because I have to do the grilles and so I have not Felt behind the speaker. And I'm waiting too a new amplifier, which is more in accordance with it.
I will thank you so much Konstantinos for coming to me in private message. What an experience!!!

I can't put pictures on the thread I'm too young but here is some link to show you 

http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=663472P1150873.jpg
http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=571585P1150875.jpg
http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=906810P1150876.jpg
http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=892596P1150879.jpg

Francky 
wink_face.gif

Jan 28, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #474 of 722
  Hello to you all,

All my apologies for your eyes, I'm french and I try to write in the best english I can.
When I posted on this forum where I can buy a better driver than mine for my SR325e, Konstantinos sent me a private message.
He said me: "There are better drivers available than the V7, try the Ypsilon S2 or Epsilon R1 from Elleven Acoustica".
He convinced me to test it and I ordered a pair of R1.

My Grado was modified with rosewood cups, G pads, a new wire and some modification on the Grado's driver but it was still not in my taste. A big lack in bass, Still bright in high frequency, but a very good midrange with a lot of details to my mind. But it was too hard to listen more than one hour.

So I read all the thread and I fell down on the Konstantinos's prototype "Gradeze" (A mix between the Grado and Audeze).
After some orders I have 90% of parts for my new headphone.
It's not finished but it works!

What the Hell!!! I listen it since 30 hours and I fell in love for this headphones!
Wonderful adjustable bass, it's deeper, robust and tight. Drums and bass on the last Metallica are just perfect! I'm a fanatic of the sound of the line of the bass of "Take the Power Back" from Rage against the machine and it's incredible. A mix between bass and low midrage just amazing! 
A perfect lovely midrange, I never heard the voice of Seasick Steve like that.
High frequency are never agressive, crystalline but never shiny.

A lot a details, and beautiful tone. Listening is more imersive than my Grado, and I don't want leave it.
I can't have a global listenning at this time because I have to do the grilles and so I have not Felt behind the speaker. And I'm waiting too a new amplifier, which is more in accordance with it.
I will thank you so much Konstantinos for coming to me in private message. What an experience!!!

I can't put pictures on the thread I'm too young but here is some link to show you 

http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=663472P1150873.jpg
http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=571585P1150875.jpg
http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=906810P1150876.jpg
http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=892596P1150879.jpg

Francky 
wink_face.gif

Really nice! 
Did you try the L-Cush before you tried the G-Cush? Because the G-Cush/pads will make things sound thin and bright. I really don't think these drivers were designed for G-Cush.

Jan 28, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #475 of 722
Jan 29, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #476 of 722
Nicely done Francky.

Quote:
  Really nice! 
Did you try the L-Cush before you tried the G-Cush? Because the G-Cush/pads will make things sound thin and bright. I really don't think these drivers were designed for G-Cush.

The "design" uses Audeze leather earpads, not G-Cush.
tongue.gif

Very nice, this "Gradeze" design seems like a good "next project" to work on. @Konstantin690 : can you share dimensions/measurements for these? Suggestions for which wood to use?

I don't really find the choice of wood of particular importance, any tone hardwood will do fine.
The beauty of the design is in it's tune-ability, you can very easily turn it from an extreme basshead headphone to a reference studio monitor (with the Epsilon R1 in it).
The critical design parameter is the protrusion of the drivers by 8mm and the total area of the venting (bass leaking) holes, diameter of the cups is 106mm, height is 20mm + 8mm driver protrusion, back chamber is 82mm x 16mm (including any depth cutout for mounting the grilles).
See HERE.

Jan 29, 2017 at 3:38 AM Post #477 of 722
  Really nice! 

If you refer to my Grado yes I tried the L-Cush. Thoses pads are originaly with the SR325.
There were more soundstage yes, more space between each instruments but no more bright that L-Cush. I'm 2 meters, and L-cush are too small for my ears. they were so unconfortable!
I didn't feel more or less bass with G-cush, a little bit more tight. For Jazz that was the pads I prefered.

But now I have the Audeze leather earpads. So sweet, and size is perfect. They isolate more than Grado's Cushs, it's more monitoring feeling.

I found a graph which show differents tendences of Grado's pads. It's not for the 325 but but we can see tendences of pads. A less high midrange around the fatal 2khz but more treble.
That was this 2khz, that are hard to my ears. I had a tubes amplifier too, with sweet tubes but it was still agressive for me.

That's my Grado:

Francky 
wink_face.gif

Jan 30, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #479 of 722

I don't really find the choice of wood of particular importance, any tone hardwood will do fine.
The beauty of the design is in it's tune-ability, you can very easily turn it from an extreme basshead headphone to a reference studio monitor (with the Epsilon R1 in it).
The critical design parameter is the protrusion of the drivers by 8mm and the total area of the venting (bass leaking) holes, diameter of the cups is 106mm, height is 20mm + 8mm driver protrusion, back chamber is 82mm x 16mm (including any depth cutout for mounting the grilles).
See HERE.

thanks, I may try something like this in the future. 

I recently assembled a pair of R1's using these: http://www.head-fi.org/t/119314/post-your-grado-mods/7530#post_13112694 & immediately gave them a listen. My first impression was similar to others' in this thread. More detailed, a little less bass than the original ypsilon. By chance, I looked at the driver opening & noticed that I had "seared" the  left diaphragm.
basshead.gif
It was too late at night to shout, but put another five minutes into some more critical listening, using an extension cable that switches L & R channels. There seemed to be no difference in what I was hearing except that the image was already starting to change due to "break-in". Some audiocheck.net tests didn't reveal any difference (yet). I think I'll give the drivers around thirty hours before I decide anything. Anybody have a take on this situation? The advantage to this is now I will have no apprehension about opening a vent hole or two.

Jan 31, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #480 of 722
I don't do it on my R1. With The Audeze cups I can adjust them as I want, but I did it on my originals driver on my Grado. Step by step one by one, to finally open the 10 holes.
There were more bass without unbalance midrange.
It's not egregious but there is a difference.

Francky 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back