Grado Modders Go Ypsilon (Elleven Acoustica drivers and builds thread)
Jun 27, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #511 of 722
hey gents, I got to audition @matchbox Ypsilon R1 build recently and I gotta say I liked the R1's very much. Excellent drivers that would seem to work in many different designs imo. here's a pic of the cans:
IMG_9404.JPG
IMG_9407.JPG
IMG_9405.JPG

So it got me really interested in @Konstantin690 Gradeze design and what it could do... I decided to pull the trigger and I finally got most of the parts together tonight. Here's some pics:
20170626_224110.jpg
20170626_224045.jpg

IMG_9408.JPG
IMG_9409.JPG
IMG_9410.JPG
IMG_9411.JPG
IMG_9412.JPG
IMG_9413.JPG
IMG_9418.JPG

Jun 27, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #513 of 722
From memory and in it's current configuration the Gradeze sounds like the notes carry more weight, the "staR1's" sounded more transparent and mids had a bit less body to them. One thing to note is that the staR1 had many hours and these are barely burning in. Also, I have some holes covered up for more bottom end presence.

Soundstage still has intimacy but at the same time you seem to get a better sense of spaciousness of the room...

I still need to attach the grills and foam or not sure what kind of material yet to experiment with. Also I will be ordering parts for a new cable for these.

Jun 27, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #514 of 722
Hey great realisation!

I thought too about this kind of grille et finaly I see that's another good solution.
To attach it you can drill the wood. The maogami is a very hard wood. You will have not issues with metal screws like this

8700Z792_0.jpg

But to my personnal taste, I will paint the wood under the grille in black to be more discreet.

For the mid you can glue some kind of velvet under your grille. 1mm for the design and after you can add more inside until you are satisfied. You can try all you find around you, cotton, plastic disk like Konstantin690...

How many hole you blocked?

I listen it now with a Gustard H10 and the soudstage is amazing. Sound is not glue in the headphone but far away.
I have almost bawled out my dog last week. I believed it was him but no. The dog appeared in the movie from the left :laughing:

Francky:wink:

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #515 of 722
hey gents, I got to audition @matchbox Ypsilon R1 build recently and I gotta say I liked the R1's very much. Excellent drivers that would seem to work in many different designs imo. here's a pic of the cans:

So it got me really interested in @Konstantin690 Gradeze design and what it could do... I decided to pull the trigger and I finally got most of the parts together tonight. Here's some pics:

Great stuff. I am working on a Audeze-style Frankenstein for someone right now, using TH900 drivers. The more I think about these, the more I want to try something like them, if anything just to get away from those on-ear foam pads.

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #516 of 722
@ wormsdriver

Or you can glue a disk of velvet to the dimensions of your grille. So you don't need to paint the wood under the grille and it will be at the same plan than the wood. Because we can see that your grille seems to be not.

Francky :wink:

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #517 of 722
Great stuff. I am working on a Audeze-style Frankenstein for someone right now, using TH900 drivers. The more I think about these, the more I want to try something like them, if anything just to get away from those on-ear foam pads.
Agreed on the getting away from the foam pads. You should definitely try them out in different set up. I'd love to see them in a closed version like the zmf cans or Beyer type enclosure.

@bouky thanks for your suggestions. I also considered your grills, but I was unsure where I can get them done or how to go about getting them done either locally or online.

Jul 3, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #520 of 722
They need a file in .PDF or .AI or .DWG.

I can give you my file in .AI ou .DWG if you're interested :wink:
Francky I would love to have either file to get the grills done, thank you!

I've been alternating between the amount of holes I have covered. Right now I have one of the bigger holes and one of the smaller holes covered on each side. I still haven't done the grills so I can just cover up more or less holes as needed. Great thing to be able to tailor the sound to your liking.

Jul 3, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #521 of 722
@wormsdriver , where did you get the wood portion of your Audeze/Ypsilon build? I'm interested in doing something like this since I want to try more comfortable pads other than the cheap G cushions I've been using. I was thinking of using a HE350 for the cups and headband but haven't figured out a way to mount the drivers but the wood section that you used might be a good place to start.

Jul 3, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #523 of 722
@ wormsdriver

Or you can glue a disk of velvet to the dimensions of your grille. So you don't need to paint the wood under the grille and it will be at the same plan than the wood. Because we can see that your grille seems to be not.

LMAO, the grills were cut to size the first time I did them but since I knew I was gonna go back in forth with the tuning till I got it right I didn't want to scratch my wooden cups to hell by constantly removing them, they have sharp edges! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #524 of 722
I can understand.

For the file give me your email in MP because I can't upload them.
But do you have a chamfer cutter like this?

6pcs-3-Flute-90-Degree-Hss-font-b-Chamfer-b-font-Cutter-Bit-Chamfering-Drilling-font.jpg

Because if you want the same screw like me you have to chamfer the grille. If not you can screw other model. But with this screw nothing exceed the grille.

71712820170703183439.jpg
23682420170703183449.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back