Grado Modders Go Ypsilon (Elleven Acoustica drivers and builds thread)
Jun 22, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #271 of 722

I've done a few woody jobs on Superlux HD330...weirdly enough, they feel a little smaller than the DT770. The headband doesn't extend as much and the cups seemed a little more cramped. Still, they worked well.

Your new cans are inspiring. Chris at Elleven Acoustica is a champ...

To be honest I never had the chance to do a side by side comparison between the Superlux and DT770 but they looked surprisingly alike, anyways, they look like a good and cheap candidate for a donor headband/pads, BTW, you can purchase the Audeze leather  Headband/Gymbals assembly directly from Audeze for 130$, leather pads are 80$, not bad, quality is awesome.
+1 for Chris, top notch stuff.

Jun 22, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #272 of 722
yeah, i'll have to desolder the connections on the plug end and re-check...will post my findings. thanks!

so it looks like I have a bad driver. I checked connections and tried my cable with another grado driver that worked fine. the ypsilon driver has a very faint sound that comes out of it but that's it. crap...gotta exchange/return it.

Jun 22, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #273 of 722
so it looks like I have a bad driver. I checked connections and tried my cable with another grado driver that worked fine. the ypsilon driver has a very faint sound that comes out of it but that's it. crap...gotta exchange/return it.

Did you measured the resistance? What's the reading?
How many watts soldering iron did you used?

Edit: You should also take care the connections on the driver, cable ends or excessive solder shouldn't make contact with the aluminum shell, it's contuctive.

Jun 22, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #274 of 722
Did you measured the resistance? What's the reading?
How many watts soldering iron did you used?

Edit: You should also take care the connections on the driver, cable ends or excessive solder don't make contact with the aluminum shell, it's contuctive.

yep. I've checked double checked triple checked everything. everything works fine using other grado drivers I have. only this one ypsilon does not work.

there's resistance between the pads. I measured at 32.8 just now. I use a weller wes51 iron.

Jun 22, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #275 of 722
yep. I've checked double checked triple checked everything. everything works fine using other grado drivers I have. only this one ypsilon does not work.

there's resistance between the pads. I measured at 32.8 just now. I use a weller wes51 iron.

The resistance is right, it should work, maybe you used a high temp setting on that soldering iron and burned the PCB?
But then you shouldn't be able to measure the correct resistance, that's odd.
FWIW, I have one particular pair that I have soldered and de-soldered a zillion times using a cheap 20 watts soldering iron, it doesn't take me more than a sec to make solid connection, they still work like a charm.

Jun 24, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #276 of 722
Jun 26, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #277 of 722
Since I got the ps500e I find them so much better than the sr325 in every category. So I ordered some ypsilon drivers to put in my sr325 and see what happens. Any ideas on the sound? Any tips for making this work?

Jun 26, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #278 of 722
Since I got the ps500e I find them so much better than the sr325 in every category. So I ordered some ypsilon drivers to put in my sr325 and see what happens. Any ideas on the sound? Any tips for making this work?

How are you planning to mount the Ypsilons in the sr325 plastic chambers? I don't think they fit in there.

Jun 26, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #280 of 722
I thought they were the same size as the oem grado drivers.

Every liberated Grado driver that I measured is between 45mm and 45.5mm, the Ypsilons are 46mm, you might be able to sand down the chambers inside to make them 46mm but this is the least of my worries as there is the issue of taking that Grado driver out of the plastic chamber without braking the chamber, the drivers are glued into the chambers.
IMHO, you won't do justice of the Ypsilons in that plastic chamber, you can do much better with a wood chamber in the SR325 outer alu cup or a fully wood cup.

Jun 26, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #281 of 722

Every liberated Grado driver that I measured is between 45mm and 45.5mm, the Ypsilons are 46mm, you might be able to sand down the chambers inside to make them 46mm but this is the least of my worries as there is the issue of taking that Grado driver out of the plastic chamber without braking the chamber, the drivers are glued into the chambers.
IMHO, you won't do justice of the Ypsilons in that plastic chamber, you can do much better with a wood chamber in the SR325 outer alu cup or a fully wood cup.

I want to keep the aluminum cup but where to get a wood chamber to fit the driver and the aluminum cup?

Also, don't the drivers come out with heating with a blowdryer?

Jun 26, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #282 of 722

I want to keep the aluminum cup but where to get a wood chamber to fit the driver and the aluminum cup?

Also, don't the drivers come out with heating with a blowdryer?

By heat blowing the alu cups you can take out the chamber-driver assembly, unfortunately the drivers aren't heat glued to the chambers.
Shoot @fleasbaby a PM, he can help with wood chambers.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/793136/grado-modders-go-ypsilon-elleven-acoustica-drivers-and-builds-thread/210#post_12583033

Jun 26, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #283 of 722

By heat blowing the alu cups you can take out the chamber-driver assembly, unfortunately the drivers aren't heat glued to the chambers.
Shoot @fleasbaby a PM, he can help with wood chambers.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/793136/grado-modders-go-ypsilon-elleven-acoustica-drivers-and-builds-thread/210#post_12583033

Oh? how are they installed? I haven't taken apart a pair of grados since the 90s when i had a pair of sr60. I contacted fleasbaby. We will see what happens. Thanks. 

Jun 26, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #284 of 722

Oh? how are they installed? I haven't taken apart a pair of grados since the 90s when i had a pair of sr60. I contacted fleasbaby. We will see what happens. Thanks. 

Anytime mate.
Not much have changed (if any) in Grado assembly since the 90s, meaning, lots of glue.
fleasbaby is an artist, can't go wrong.

Jun 26, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #285 of 722

I though someone showed a way to get the driver out without destroying the inner chamber by using a press or vice clamp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back