Grado Modders Go Ypsilon (Elleven Acoustica drivers and builds thread)
Oct 12, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #662 of 722
Placed an order for the Epsilon P1.
Chris says they work best with Deluxe Flats and can be used with R1 cups. Not a night and day difference between R1 and P1 but says if you like R1, will love P1.

Won't able to compare with Epsilon R1 nor Ypsilon 1or 2 since I no longer have them but will be interesting since it sounds like it's the current flagship driver.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #663 of 722
Placed an order for the Epsilon P1.
Chris says they work best with Deluxe Flats and can be used with R1 cups. Not a night and day difference between R1 and P1 but says if you like R1, will love P1.

Won't able to compare with Epsilon R1 nor Ypsilon 1or 2 since I no longer have them but will be interesting since it sounds like it's the current flagship driver.
Good deal, thanks for the info. I was just about to email Chris about them and which type of cups and pads were recommended for them.

Oct 12, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #665 of 722
If anyone does pick up the P1s I would love to hear some impressions on the driver. I had just posted in the Grados thread that I've been unsucessful with repairs for my HP1s with Grados so exploring third party options right now...
You can always shoot an email to Chris at elleven acoustica. He is very helpful and knows his stuff. Any questions you have he usually answers promptly, just keep in mind he is (I believe) in Greece so consider the time difference.

Oct 12, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #666 of 722
You can always shoot an email to Chris at elleven acoustica. He is very helpful and knows his stuff. Any questions you have he usually answers promptly, just keep in mind he is (I believe) in Greece so consider the time difference.

Thank you!

Nothing I love more than a business owner in this hobby that *actually love talking Hi-Fi/Head-Fi/Music-Fi*, looking forward to my correspondence with Chris. *fingers crossed*

Oct 15, 2018 at 1:58 AM Post #669 of 722
I wish the P1 was both fuller and more detailed. Guess can't have both. :frowning2:

Same here. Hopefully it's not far from the R1's micro details while adding nice fuller body to the sound. Maybe the micro details will still be there but not as apparent because of a fuller midrange and upper bass? I guess you'll be one of the first one's to let us know!:sunglasses::thumbsup:

BTW, will you also be using elleven acoustica's wooden cups or cups from somewhere else?

Oct 15, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #670 of 722
Why is there no love for the G1 driver in this thread?? I just did my first self build with a G1 and it is amazing. It goes lower than the R1 and the mid s and highs are not quite as razor sharp as the R1, but they are very well balanced. A very musical and relaxing listen.

Chris makes excellent drivers for Grado cups, imo.

Oct 15, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #671 of 722
Why is there no love for the G1 driver in this thread?? I just did my first self build with a G1 and it is amazing. It goes lower than the R1 and the mid s and highs are not quite as razor sharp as the R1, but they are very well balanced. A very musical and relaxing listen.

Chris makes excellent drivers for Grado cups, imo.

Looking to do my first build with these drivers. Using the G-bowls does the G1 have a larger soundstage than the R1?

My previous build used magnum v5 drivers. I found then to lack the 3d soundstage depth I was hoping for.

My reference cans are Mrspeaker Alpha Prime Planars..... maybe I am looking in the wrong place for the sound signature I want... hoping for something lightweight with an open 3d soundstage and good imaging.... going to use mrspeakers connectors on the GS style cups to allow use of my Norne audio cable...

Oct 15, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #672 of 722
Simon,
I have an R1 but I can't answer your question because I cheat. That black device in my avatar is a Jolida FOZ SS-X pre amp/tone control and soundstage expander. It is an amazing device in all three areas. It expands the soundstage without using a reverb effect and is adjustable to match the recording.

If soundstage is important to you, I would recommend that you consider adding it to your system. It will make your G1 build sound as big as an HD800S.

Oct 15, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #673 of 722
Had a G1 for a few months but ended up selling them since they were too close to the original S1 IMO and the R1 is more to my liking. The other thing is most of my friends actually like the Nhoord Red V2 sound since its a bit more forgiving and is tuned more for the mainstream and I have to agree since I only use my R1 (and RS2e) when I want to do critical listening with well recorded / mastered tracks. Technically the Nhoord is a bit behind the R1, G1 and S2 but for those that just want to "chill out" its a better choice since even average quality tracks are listenable, its like the HD650, very forgiving and easy to listen to but no where close to the HD700, HD800, T1gen, or HE560 in terms of technical ability.

Oct 15, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #674 of 722
Looking to do my first build with these drivers. Using the G-bowls does the G1 have a larger soundstage than the R1?

My previous build used magnum v5 drivers. I found then to lack the 3d soundstage depth I was hoping for.

My reference cans are Mrspeaker Alpha Prime Planars..... maybe I am looking in the wrong place for the sound signature I want... hoping for something lightweight with an open 3d soundstage and good imaging.... going to use mrspeakers connectors on the GS style cups to allow use of my Norne audio cable...
Owned / built both, I'd say the R1 would appear to most as having the better sound stage due to its tuning but going on memory (sold G1) to me they are quite similar but with different tuning which is great since one can chose the tuning they prefer. Also, the choice of ear pads will also have some effect on the perceived sound stage and also the tone.

Oct 22, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #675 of 722
Received P1 today, installed in my HP1000 and sounding very good.
A

Attachments

• PA220054.jpg
    PA220054.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back