Grado Modders Go Ypsilon (Elleven Acoustica drivers and builds thread)
Jan 25, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #691 of 722
Well, this is my first post on head-fi. I've been lurking for quite some time. I have been on a bit of a Grado DIY binge this last year-and-a-bit, and I feel that I have arrived at a build that I genuinely love. I thought this would be an excellent way to join the conversation with you all.

In this last year, I have built a set of Magnum V8s, Nhoord Reds, Elleven Acoustica G1s. All of these builds have had their strengths and their weaknesses. The Elleven Acoustica R1s, to my tastes, are the best fit for my chain and listening tastes. Being a media pro, I gravitate to a more reference-quality sound, though I LOVE tubes and what they do for the sound (this is whole other topic, though). I like detail, midrange, clarity, extension in the bass and treble and I am a sucker for precise imaging and a compelling sound stage. I don't mind if poorly recorded music sounds poorly recorded, I would prefer to hear as much of what's in the signal than not. With the right amp, I adore the HD600s and really enjoy my modified HD650s.

So back the R1s. I built these using Chris's L1/EA cups and hooked them up with Neutrik mini 4pin XLR connectors. I used Shipibo rod-blocks and gimbals and a Turbulent Labs headband. A small note to builders out there, the diameter of the Elleven drivers are a bit bigger than other drivers - I learned this the hard way installing the G1s into a beautiful pair of cocobolo cups from Fleasbaby. I managed to put a small crack in them when installing the G1s. It was easy to stabilize the crack as it was minimal, but not an ideal outcome. If you're putting these into cups other than the Elleven Acoustica cups, a little sanding gives you the right fit.

One major issue that I have had through all of my builds that use the L-Cush is that my giant ears touch the drivers which I find uncomfortable. Also, I find the staging quite narrow with the L-Cush. To this end, I tried the G1s with the G-Cush. I liked them so much that I had to try R1s (with a pad tweak in mind).

When I first listened to the R1s I, of course, found them quite harsh, bass light, and overall unpleasant. Even after the recommended 30 hours, I was not 100% happy with the sound. Based on my experience with other drivers, all of which took 80-150 hours to settle in, I let them run in for another 100 hours without listening to them. To my delight, when I came back to them, they were quite a nice headphone.

I did some research on pad mods and discovered a mod called "The Sunflower Mod" in which you stretch out an L-Cush over a 414 pad. It is initially a fiddly mod, but once you get the hang of it, it is quite easy to set up.

I have modified the mod further by cutting out the foam that would cover the driver. Initially, the foam tamed some of the treble as the drivers matured. Once they had about 100-150 hours on them, the treble became quite sweet and I wanted all of the beautiful detail that the R1s offer up - so I cut out the foam that would cover the driver.

I find that the sunflower mod is not only more comfortable but sounds much better to my ear than the stock L-Cush. It improves the staging, imaging and maintains the great sound of the R1. With the sunflower mod, the R1s are detailed, smooth, image well, and render a compelling sound-stage. Also, the bass is very satisfying - it is tight, tuneful, and has some slam to it.

I have heard reports of the R1 being bass-light, sterile and even shrill. I disagree wholeheartedly with this assessment. Perhaps the manufacturing of The R1s drivers has improved over the years, perhaps people have made assessments before allowing the drivers to mature. I am a couple of months into them and I find them lively, smooth, and absorbing. The midrange is spectacular. Even when I'm not listening to them, I'm thinking about listening to them.

My chain is: Tidal/Roon>sometimes HQ Player DSD upres>USB>RME ADI-2 DAC FS>Maptree Audio Design Ear+ (with upgraded caps)/Monoprice THX 887

I regularly move between the R1s, HD650Ms(Kiss Mod), and HD 600s. You can check out my present and past gear list on my profile.

Here are some pictures!

R11.jpg
R12.jpg
R10.jpg
R13.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #697 of 722
Well, this is my first post on head-fi. I've been lurking for quite some time. I have been on a bit of a Grado DIY binge this last year-and-a-bit, and I feel that I have arrived at a build that I genuinely love. I thought this would be an excellent way to join the conversation with you all.

In this last year, I have built a set of Magnum V8s, Nhoord Reds, Elleven Acoustica G1s. All of these builds have had their strengths and their weaknesses. The Elleven Acoustica R1s, to my tastes, are the best fit for my chain and listening tastes. Being a media pro, I gravitate to a more reference-quality sound, though I LOVE tubes and what they do for the sound (this is whole other topic, though). I like detail, midrange, clarity, extension in the bass and treble and I am a sucker for precise imaging and a compelling sound stage. I don't mind if poorly recorded music sounds poorly recorded, I would prefer to hear as much of what's in the signal than not. With the right amp, I adore the HD600s and really enjoy my modified HD650s.

So back the R1s. I built these using Chris's L1/EA cups and hooked them up with Neutrik mini 4pin XLR connectors. I used Shipibo rod-blocks and gimbals and a Turbulent Labs headband. A small note to builders out there, the diameter of the Elleven drivers are a bit bigger than other drivers - I learned this the hard way installing the G1s into a beautiful pair of cocobolo cups from Fleasbaby. I managed to put a small crack in them when installing the G1s. It was easy to stabilize the crack as it was minimal, but not an ideal outcome. If you're putting these into cups other than the Elleven Acoustica cups, a little sanding gives you the right fit.

One major issue that I have had through all of my builds that use the L-Cush is that my giant ears touch the drivers which I find uncomfortable. Also, I find the staging quite narrow with the L-Cush. To this end, I tried the G1s with the G-Cush. I liked them so much that I had to try R1s (with a pad tweak in mind).

When I first listened to the R1s I, of course, found them quite harsh, bass light, and overall unpleasant. Even after the recommended 30 hours, I was not 100% happy with the sound. Based on my experience with other drivers, all of which took 80-150 hours to settle in, I let them run in for another 100 hours without listening to them. To my delight, when I came back to them, they were quite a nice headphone.

I did some research on pad mods and discovered a mod called "The Sunflower Mod" in which you stretch out an L-Cush over a 414 pad. It is initially a fiddly mod, but once you get the hang of it, it is quite easy to set up.

I have modified the mod further by cutting out the foam that would cover the driver. Initially, the foam tamed some of the treble as the drivers matured. Once they had about 100-150 hours on them, the treble became quite sweet and I wanted all of the beautiful detail that the R1s offer up - so I cut out the foam that would cover the driver.

I find that the sunflower mod is not only more comfortable but sounds much better to my ear than the stock L-Cush. It improves the staging, imaging and maintains the great sound of the R1. With the sunflower mod, the R1s are detailed, smooth, image well, and render a compelling sound-stage. Also, the bass is very satisfying - it is tight, tuneful, and has some slam to it.

I have heard reports of the R1 being bass-light, sterile and even shrill. I disagree wholeheartedly with this assessment. Perhaps the manufacturing of The R1s drivers has improved over the years, perhaps people have made assessments before allowing the drivers to mature. I am a couple of months into them and I find them lively, smooth, and absorbing. The midrange is spectacular. Even when I'm not listening to them, I'm thinking about listening to them.

My chain is: Tidal/Roon>sometimes HQ Player DSD upres>USB>RME ADI-2 DAC FS>Maptree Audio Design Ear+ (with upgraded caps)/Monoprice THX 887

I regularly move between the R1s, HD650Ms(Kiss Mod), and HD 600s. You can check out my present and past gear list on my profile.

Here are some pictures!

R11.jpg R12.jpg R10.jpg R13.jpg

Agreed. The R1 need a little time and burn-in...

Dec 8, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #698 of 722
This thread has been a little quiet. I've been chatting to Chris at Elleven Acoustica. Watch his site for the next month or so, he has a variant on the R1 coming out called the R1C. It has the same little carbon dome in it that the P1 has. I have a prototype pair in some spare cups, and they are certainly interesting. Those who prefer that vintage Grado sound will enjoy them a lot...

Dec 11, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #702 of 722
Okay...as soon as I can prise them off my head and bring myself to mail them off I'll drop you guys a PM...

I really, really like the vintage Grado sound. Reminds me of full-range speakers, and high sensitivity speakers driven by low-watt amps. These feel like they lean in that direction.

Mar 6, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #703 of 722
Hey not sure if this thread is dead but I just got a set of ypsilon R1s and put them in turbulent labs RS cups. These sound amazing. I'm assuming these are supposed be be similar to the RS1.

Mar 10, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #704 of 722
Hey not sure if this thread is dead but I just got a set of ypsilon R1s and put them in turbulent labs RS cups. These sound amazing. I'm assuming these are supposed be be similar to the RS1.
I got them too. Absolutly the best drivers i've heard in comparison to the ones i got by now.

But only with good Amp's.

Mar 10, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #705 of 722
I got them too. Absolutly the best drivers i've heard in comparison to the ones i got by now.

But only with good Amp's.
I've been comparing them to my Grado PS500e and they are very good. I still think the 500e is a touch clearer but these are definitely great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back