Grado Modders Go Nhoord?!?!
Jan 4, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #152 of 597

This is what i've got at this point. Angled driver, diy pads, and a 'central foam column ' mod which directly deals with an obvious upperbass bulge present in my particular driver set. I'd recommend trying this should your particular set be dominant in that area. It not only deals with the bloat but helps male vocals sound a bit less recessed since the upper bass is not competing/concealing the lower mids/mids.

I've only had mine a short while and tried several mods including other materials/shapes when trying the central column mod, hollow, solid, metal, etc. and like the permeable foam. All my sound reports are only regarding this particular set, I have no experience with other nhoord driver examples, but I hear this one  as being in the same  family as mags and yipsies. They've got a similar upper mid color (particular sets I had).  

I hear all 3 driver sets as excelling in detail retrieval, resolution and separation (compared to an average grado driver). but all 3 have moar bass and colored upper mids/lower treble (imo). That color varying a bit driver to driver (both brand and individual example). So my task is to try and tame the color while not ruining anything else. A task I had no success with mags or ypsies. I miss one particular v4 cream colored mag set which had little color and modest bass hump. I like a subtle bass hump centered in low bass (not upper bass) and I like a very modest midrange color but both are spices best served lightly sprinkled. Regarding the treble here, I have not alot to say as yet, perhaps a touch rolled way up high and maybe a touch unresolved and/or colored but not enough to cause any issue as yet. Certainly as good or better than average grado.

also I should note this set has no burn in time, all impressions are straight outa the box less than 2 hrs time. so will crank some steve harris' bass over a couple days and see.....

I'd also note - imo-  grado drivers generally do not have this 'mid color' that I hear in the mags/yips/nhoords, or many other modern headphones for that matter,  and I've long since believed the achievement regarding increased detail retrieval/resolution after a certain point, almost always comes with this color cost. I'd rather have a bit less details in trade for a more natural eq

Great work as always :). The pads look familiar to me for some reason. They remind me of one I used modding T50rps a while ago, turned inside out, but I don't think that's the case. Are these custom made from the ground up?

For the foam column, is that a solid chunk of foam, or is it foam sheeting wrapped around something solid like a plastic tube? Hard to tell from the picture. 

Also, what cup did you use?

Jan 4, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #153 of 597
hello good sir !,yes they are turned inside out ! good eye. then some spandex stitched to the back to serve as an attachment mechanism to the cups leading rim.....I think they are akg 240's? or some other replacement pad. They where under $10 and are just about the right size imo.

the Foam mod is basic Foam cut into a semi round shape to match back magnet cover size. I've been trying it with other volumes and it is most eFFective at low volumes. Like all drivers the sound varies depending on volume.

Has anyone tried a silver cable?

Jan 25, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #154 of 597
Just slapped together a build with the newer Nhoord driver but in mahogany vs the old one was in rosewood.  The new version seem a little more dynamic, bass a little deeper and the mids a bit more forward and the highs seem a little more crisp, going from memory since my original Nhoord build is being borrowed by a friend.  One thing I noticed is that is seems to be less efficient, have to turn up the volume a little higher than I remember but it does sound pretty good on first listen without any burn-in time, not like the Ypsilon S2 which gets better after about 20-25 hours.

Still need to go back and mount the SMC connector in the cups and use wood filler to cover up the open slot

Jan 28, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #155 of 597
Did some finishing on the Nhoord v2 builds:

used the plastic screen that comes with the new driver to cover the driver-right side

Filled in the slot so less venting which tightens up the bass a little

Jan 29, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #157 of 597
  is the nHoord more detailed than the driver in a sr-125?

Hard to say since the FR is so different but to me the newer Nhoord is about the same in the details as my SR-225e with a warmer sound signature, bass is much better and overall sound is cleaner.  FYI: my SR-225e are modded with dynamat in the cups and on the back of the driver.

Jan 30, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #158 of 597
  Hard to say since the FR is so different but to me the newer Nhoord is about the same in the details as my SR-225e with a warmer sound signature, bass is much better and overall sound is cleaner.  FYI: my SR-225e are modded with dynamat in the cups and on the back of the driver.

Thanks, that is good to hear that it can be as detailed as the higher level SR's.

Just ordered a pair to try out, thanks for the enabling!

Jan 30, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #160 of 597
I am mainly a planar guy, don't have that many dynamic phones....currently have

Beyer Gen1 DT990 (600 ohms)
MB Quart QB45x (100 ohms)
Koss KSC55

all others are either ortho or electrostatic.

I was searching for good drivers to transplant into some Bluetooth phones,
redface.gif
the options were either pulling drivers out of $50 i/eGrado's, or trying a pair of $77 nhoord.... Might as well go the more expensive route to avoid regrets, right?
blink.gif

biggrin.gif

Jan 31, 2017 at 12:07 AM Post #161 of 597

Koss KSC55

redface.gif
the options were either pulling drivers out of $50 i/eGrado's, or trying a pair of $77 nhoord.... Might as well go the more expensive route to avoid regrets, right?
blink.gif

biggrin.gif

It will be interesting to know how the Nhoord will sound in a cup that it wasn't exactly designed for.

Feb 1, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #162 of 597

Koss KSC55

redface.gif
blink.gif

biggrin.gif

Beware putting them in a closed cup. They will likely sound terrible...

Feb 1, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #163 of 597
but who said anything about a "closed cup"?   I only ever mentioned "bluetooth" 
blink.gif
wink_face.gif

one of the good things about grado-type phones, is that they require a small (open) rear chamber. The rear chamber is just like a tube, no?  I can, say, cut a hole in the cup of the "bluetooth" and slide in a woody grado-type cup, it might even have a fange (with fancy wood grains) facing outside.....

Instant SkullCandy-Woody-Grado-Hesh bluetooth!
eek.gif

(lets hope...)

Feb 1, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #164 of 597
but who said anything about a "closed cup"?   I only ever mentioned "bluetooth"  :blink: :wink_face:

one of the good things about grado-type phones, is that they require a small (open) rear chamber. The rear chamber is just like a tube, no?  I can, say, cut a hole in the cup of the "bluetooth" and slide in a woody grado-type cup, it might even have a fange (with fancy wood grains) facing outside.....

eek.gif

(lets hope...)

LOL...pics or it didn't happen! Can't wait to see your creation. Could be a new way forward for modders!

Feb 2, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #165 of 597

Quote:
  but who said anything about a "closed cup"?   I only ever mentioned "bluetooth" 
blink.gif
wink_face.gif

eek.gif

(lets hope...)

really looking forward to this creation of yours
basshead.gif

my table run-it-over:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back