GRADO GR10: Reviews, First Impressions Thread
Oct 17, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #616 of 1,160
Just got the GR10 yesterday and have put a few hours through them. My impressions so far are as follows:

Extremely comfortable.Definitely the most comfortable IEM I have tried. I have been using comply tips and have ordered the new spherical shaped ones to try.
They are very bright. It's kinda weird, some songs I can listen to and they will sound amazing then others will pierce my skull and make my eyes water. Finding the right volume is key here.
Detail is amazing, drums and symbols particularly.
Bass is good but not particularly punchy. Not as much as say a TF10 anyway. Having said that, my trance collection still sounds excellent.

Loving them so far. Now I have to search for a nice warm amp to pair them with.

Oct 17, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #617 of 1,160
I hope you tried the stock tips as well. The effect changing the tips has on the sound is massive. And after lots of experimenting I found the stock ones to provide the best sound. Especially the low end - it disappeared when I tried after market tips.

Agreed though, they are sooo comfy. I often use my old trusty Shure iems with olives when I'm pushing the stroller to school in the winter - both to protect the the GR10's and because the olives are much warmer :etysmile: But after using the Grados, the olives feel huge and uncomfortable. Vice versa, when I switch back I can barely feel the GR10's at all.

Still love the sound.

Oct 17, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #618 of 1,160
They are Grado after all and they were after the RS1 sound signature. To me, they are the best IEM for rock, especially acoustic and electric guitar.
I had the JH13 and have the JH16 and do rock very well but if you love the Grado sound and how they do rock, they are closest thing in IEM.

Quote:
Just got the GR10 yesterday and have put a few hours through them. My impressions so far are as follows:

Extremely comfortable.Definitely the most comfortable IEM I have tried. I have been using comply tips and have ordered the new spherical shaped ones to try.
They are very bright. It's kinda weird, some songs I can listen to and they will sound amazing then others will pierce my skull and make my eyes water. Finding the right volume is key here.
Bass is good but not particularly punchy. Not as much as say a TF10 anyway. Having said that, my trance collection still sounds excellent.

Oct 18, 2011 at 7:46 AM Post #619 of 1,160

Quote:

They're actually pretty congested and hot out of the box. They need 200 hrs like the GR07 to be what they are which is less hot than the Vsonic, universally loved here. Try hybrids on them while you're waiting for them and then go back to the stock tips. They're neutral and revealing with the stock tips when done changing so make sure that your source and files are good. Nothing's perfect but they are as close to playing what's there as any I've heard.

Oct 18, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #621 of 1,160

Quote:
Great advice :)

Good if you just like warmer anyways I guess. Thanks for the audition offer.

I noticed something on breakin with these that I've never mentioned.

After the normal 200 hours, a couple of nights of uncomfortably loud will finish them offf nicely. I sold mine to a freind and got a another pair to breakin. I went hard on the first pair and wanted to try a gentler breakin with breaks and moderate volume. Went fine but they didn't get done until I played them harder for a bit. Before that, they displayed what some impatient folks had  described with brighter higher volumes and slightly etched highs. Non issues now. I wouldn't beat on anything early as it's very stressful for new devices but once the regular breakin is done (rotations with rest for about 200 hrs - maybe 100 and then go loud, I'm not sure) play em loud in intervals for a bit until they stop changing to finish.
 People are talking about long breakin on GR07s. These take even a bit more or perhaps just more volume at the end.

Oct 19, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #622 of 1,160
Anyone know when you should change the filter and ring that they provide?  There is no instruction on when it's needed and how to change it.

Oct 19, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #623 of 1,160
You don't change unless they get clogged with wax. Rubber retaning ring bends out to release the filter and pushes back easily over it. It's identical to the Ortos.

That said, Grado does like you to keep the dealer in the loop. He'd do it for you and answer questions. It's why they market in the fashion that they do. If your dealer doesn't support you, call Grado. The dealer will next time.
wink_face.gif

Oct 19, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #624 of 1,160

Quote:
Anyone know when you should change the filter and ring that they provide?  There is no instruction on when it's needed and how to change it.

It all depends on how clean you keep your ear, how susceptible your ears are to earwax and how often you use the IEM's.  I wouldn't even bother unless I felt the sound was deteriorating.  You may never have to change them.  You should be able to see whether the mesh filter is getting obstructed as well.

Oct 19, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #625 of 1,160
To me the Grado GR10 does sound like the Grado RS1i.  They are little thinner sounding and a little less bright but they maintain the Grado house sound. 

Having said that, it would have been perfect if the Grado GR10 were brown like the box they come in.  The GR8 black and GR10 brown.  Just don't like the green.
When I think of Grado I think of black (SR series), silver (PS & SR325) and brown (RS & GS). 

Oct 25, 2011 at 5:11 AM Post #626 of 1,160

Quote:
To me the Grado GR10 does sound like the Grado RS1i.  They are little thinner sounding and a little less bright but they maintain the Grado house sound. 

Having said that, it would have been perfect if the Grado GR10 were brown like the box they come in.  The GR8 black and GR10 brown.  Just don't like the green.
When I think of Grado I think of black (SR series), silver (PS & SR325) and brown (RS & GS). 

Thinner sounding than the RS1i?  Pass.....

Oct 25, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #628 of 1,160
Let me qualify.  The GR10 is not as peaky in the treble.  It's more balanced than the RS1.  The GR10 is less thin in the upper midrange and lower treble. So it's more smoother than the RS1i.  
But having said that, in the lower midrange to midrange, the RS1 is warmer or fuller. 

Quote:
Thinner sounding than the RS1i?  Pass.....

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #629 of 1,160
I've really been enjoying my se425's but feel there is something missing with them. I've been thinking seriously about upgrading to the 535. After reading this thread and being a fan of Grado's full size cans I'm really tempted to gets the 10s. Has anyone do this switch or how would you compare? I love mostly everything about the 425's I just wish there was a bit more of that controlled bass. 

Dec 2, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #630 of 1,160
FAO Rawster

Hey buddy

I read this thread a long, long time ago - every single page, so can't do it again but... Am I correct in thinking you sold your GR10 and got the Westone 4 instead?

I'm thinking of making the change but am scared to let go of them as I don't know if there is a better universal IEM available?

I love the GR10 but wish it had a bit more depth to the bass. I had the W3 before and those were pretty mind blowing to start with, but over time I realised the mids were getting lost in the mix of complex songs.

Any help would be great

beerchug.gif

PS. I can't afford customs... yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back