GRADO GR10: Reviews, First Impressions Thread
Dec 2, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #632 of 1,160

Quote:
FAO Rawster

Hey buddy

I read this thread a long, long time ago - every single page, so can't do it again but... Am I correct in thinking you sold your GR10 and got the Westone 4 instead?

I'm thinking of making the change but am scared to let go of them as I don't know if there is a better universal IEM available?

I love the GR10 but wish it had a bit more depth to the bass. I had the W3 before and those were pretty mind blowing to start with, but over time I realised the mids were getting lost in the mix of complex songs.

Any help would be great

beerchug.gif

PS. I can't afford customs... yet.

What's your source? I find a lot of DAPs are lean to begin with. If it's a fuze, try the stock firmware ending in 28. With a clip+, 09.

Dec 2, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #633 of 1,160

Quote:
FAO Rawster

Hey buddy

I read this thread a long, long time ago - every single page, so can't do it again but... Am I correct in thinking you sold your GR10 and got the Westone 4 instead?

I'm thinking of making the change but am scared to let go of them as I don't know if there is a better universal IEM available?

I love the GR10 but wish it had a bit more depth to the bass. I had the W3 before and those were pretty mind blowing to start with, but over time I realised the mids were getting lost in the mix of complex songs.

Any help would be great

beerchug.gif

PS. I can't afford customs... yet.

Regarding GR10. I agree with you.  It's outstanding but my tastes require a bit "fuller" sound as well. It's literally the only thing it lacks.  I also agree what you say about W3 and midrange.  While I know it seems like flavor of the month lately with the recent BF sale but TF10 will give you an IEM that is smack dab in between a GR10 and a W3.  I have owned it 3 times going back to 2007 and I keep coming back to it.  The only caveat is the fit but I find comply tips the only way to go and are as comfy as any IEM I have worn.  Personally, while W4 is incredibly smooth and refined sounding it is very conservative in bass area (about same as GR10) and lacks the crispness I like with treble.

Dec 2, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #634 of 1,160
Yeah, the bass is not my favorite aspect on the GR10 though I'm still burning it in, mostly through listening. Today, during some jazz the upright bass was fantastic. Drums can sound really real good, too. It may be placebo, but the more I listen, the more I like the bass. But on bass heavy tracks (not even rap or stuff like that, think animal collective or radiohead), the W4 adds a ton more texture and depth to the bass; the GR10 in comparison is thin. Nothing like the Etymotic bass but thin in comparison. I would call the W4 bass conservative compared to bass monsters, but compared to most more neutral headphones, it has a good amount more bass, including the GR10. Its actually a lot like the SE535 bass. Very controlled and powerful, never muddy or bloated. Particularly impressive is the sub-bass. I would agree that the treble is so much more crisp with the GR10. Listening to the GR10 makes the W4 downright treble timid. GR10 does cymbals amazingly. I read in a review that you can hear where the cymbal is hit; i'd agree. Violins have good timber on the W4 but kind of peters where the GR10 really soars till the note stops. Never flinches. I've found it hot after long listening sessions but I like the treble more than dislike it. But where the GR10 shines is clarity. It does instrument separation in a new kind of way, really musical and yet distinct. Where I find the W4 hazy or atmospheric, the GR10 is like Los Angeles after the rain. Your shocked at how far you're can see when the smog settles. Unfortunately for me, the W4 is a little too like Los Angeles on a hot summer day. Yeah, you're thrilled to be at the Hollywood Bowl seeing Norah Jones, but the smog. Ack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif

.Personally, while W4 is incredibly smooth and refined sounding it is very conservative in bass area (about same as GR10) and lacks the crispness I like with treble.

Dec 3, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #636 of 1,160
I'm actually listening direct from an 80gb iPod Video 5.5 model. It's drect from the headphone jack also.

I've been considering the Beyer T5p Closed 'phones but that's another story.

Amp wise, I was looking into Ray Samuels products but am unsure if I'd notice a difference for the money. Alternatively, there's the RWA iMod route... Hmm.

Thanks for the replies by the way. Think if I stick to Universal IEM, the GR10 is what I am going to be happiest with.

Dec 5, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #637 of 1,160
Quote:
For around 100 bucks you can keep your Grado's and just get a Zo, this will give you that extra bass when you feel the need

Just received mine today. Love their crisp, clear highs, and overall transparency. Vocals sound magnificent! However bass, as was expected, was a tad too soft for my liking. Nevertheless, I can confirm the above statement. The Zo (the original V1, in my case) transforms the GR10 into bass canons. 
basshead.gif

Jan 10, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #638 of 1,160
is gr10 an upgrade to the ortofon eq-5 ?

is it worth going the extra step with them ?

thanx.

Jan 10, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #640 of 1,160
Quote:
is gr10 an upgrade to the ortofon eq-5 ?

is it worth going the extra step with them ?

ONLY where aesthetics are concerned. The GR10 is significantly smaller, and protrudes far less than the e-Q5, making it MUCH more easier on the ears. There's also the added benefit of a chin slider, which I use quite often, and which the e-Q5 left me desiring. Other than that, my obvious answer would be no.

Jan 10, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #641 of 1,160
cool , so guess no need to shell those extra $

thanx guys

Jan 18, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #643 of 1,160
In spite of all the excitement I had for my PFE232 (which remain the best BA's I've heard, to date), I've been listening to the GR10's all morning, and I forgot how unbelievably euphoric they sound! Where preferences are concerned, they're still a step ahead of the W4 for my ears. Second to the PFE232, the GR10 really does the high end complete justice. Considering that my own GR10's cost me less than the e-Q5 retails for, I really do consider them among the best in-ears I own. 
smile.gif

Jan 18, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #645 of 1,160
Quote:
How does GR10 compare to SE535 in terms of the whole package.

The whole package? I take it you mean not just off of sound alone, but all things considered? I undoubtedly prefer the GR10, as I find it A LOT easier to wear and remove, and it can be worn in both straight cable or over the ear fashion, unlike the SE535, which is intended to be worn over the ear. Not to mention, I was never a fan of the SE535's memory wire. Pertaining to sound quality, the following FRC is worth consideration:

As is depicted, the lows are quite similar between the two, while I prefer the GR10's mids and highs. The SE535 is a tad too rolled off for my liking, while the GR10 retains good balance with respect to the mids and highs. The GR10's highs trump the SE535's high end every time, as far as I'm concerned.

P.S. Yes, I'm aware that FRC's don't necessarily tell the full story, so take it with a grain of salt. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back