GRADO GR10: Reviews, First Impressions Thread
Nov 21, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #136 of 1,160
bigsmile_face.gif
 ygpm.  As they break in more, I'm preferring a cable up, deeper insertion.

Nov 21, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #137 of 1,160
Wow, i've recently bought the Green today :), stepping from the Great.
The Green is - obviously - another league above the Great. The extra treble and bass makes the sound more vivid and "real", while it's really easy to play without an amp. The filters seem somehow thinner and more transparent than in the GR8, i wonder if dust can get inside the phone?

Nov 21, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #139 of 1,160
I've been listening to them for a while now and all I have to say is that these are quickly becoming my favorite iems. Compared to the GR8, the treble is more pronounced and brought more forward but without any sibilance. Treble was the only issue I had with the GR8. The mids also sound more forward with the levels bumped up as compared with the GR8. It's much easier to pick out the details and instruments sound more separated. The treble and mids of the GR10 do not sound harsh in any way and my ears don't suffer from fatigue after listening to them for a long period of time. It does loose the smooth presentation that the GR8 provides. The GR8 definitely has a more laid back sound. There is not a significant difference in bass between the two. The mid-bass is bumped up with the GR10 but the the GR8 handles the low bass frequencies better. This could be to the bass roll-off issue many daps suffer from with low impedance iems. The GR8 is at 120 Ohms and the GR10 is at 32 Ohms. I haven't tried an impedance adapter with the GR10 yet. The timbre with the GR8 and GR10 is exceptional. These moving armature drivers can produce timbre similar to dynamic drivers but without the crazy amount of bass. They also have alot of air between different sounds which reminds me of the TF10 and IE8. The GR10 is simply stunning. Grado seriously needs to add more accessories.

Nov 21, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #140 of 1,160
I bet you feel different about the mid/low bass after more time.

I've PMed Spyro and it seems we've both changed the way we wear them as they break in and came to this same method independently. We're now using med tips with cable up and deeper insertion. When new, we had both switched to the large. Before yesterday I felt I could put them too deep and dull the top and would just get them injust far enough for a seal which is where Spyro is now. Now, I don't think about it and just jam them in. They're fine however (tips ot direction) you go about it as long as there's a seal but this seems is becoming the preferred method and relates mostly to the changing bass and extreme top character. Mid bass is lessening and top is more extended/open.

A case would have been nice though I'd personally continue to use the Phonak case that has a seperate compartment for my fuze.
bigsmile_face.gif
I bet between the 3 tips, all will find a fit due to the quality of them. They really are like Hybrids with big openings but backups would be nice for this level of product. A few sets of replacement filters are included. The only real omission is a case. I'm happy they didn't just include a useless pouch but a nice case would really help the presentation.

Nov 22, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #141 of 1,160
How aggressive and energetic are these?  Or not at all?

Nov 22, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #142 of 1,160

Quote:
How aggressive and energetic are these?  Or not at all?

I would say a little more than average, average being not very or neutral (dare I say boring?)  The GR10 can be fast, it is definitely lively but I am not sure I would say aggressive.  I would consider my W3's more aggressive.  Perhaps Goodvibes could add comment....

Nov 22, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #143 of 1,160
It's a tough call as they do take on the nature of the source. If I use the dither on my Rockboxed Fuze, they're a bit warm, smooth and you can hear a bit of fur in the sound and if I don't use the dither, they're a bit etched, very transparent and snappy. Like I've said. They're a bit of a chameleon though they'll never be bass monsters without EQ. Bass sounds right to me but there seems to be a wide diversion of opinion on bass in general.

I suspect those that try these will say they have all sorts of sigs until they've settled down and they've tried them with a few sources. I don't think they sound as robust as a JH5 but I can't say a JH5 is more correct. It's been too long since I heard the JH but bewtwen the 2, I may prefer to mix on the GR10 for instance but it's rather moot as I just think speakers are better for that or listening in general if a better system is in the budget. Something like a JH13 would be closer tonally but clearer and in a different league from any universal I've come across. I'll have to get a JH5 audition again at some point because I really preferred it to all the universals I could get my hands on at the time. In the next couple weeks, I'll have the opportunity to listen to some earsonics and others.

Nov 22, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #144 of 1,160
The good news is that my green gumdrops have arrived and are in my ears
bigsmile_face.gif
The bad news is that there appears to be some kind of manufacturing defect or damage straight out of the box... the cable about six inches below the right earpiece is warped/damaged looking and has a kink in it. I think I will have to send them back... they work fine but for a $400 IEM I don't want a damaged cable. Hopefully I won't have trouble getting a replacement.

Nov 22, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #146 of 1,160
Dunno if I can use them, I got them from a head-fi sponsor (soundearphones.com) so hopefully they are good people! I just sent them a message on their website.

They were sealed and looked perfect in the box, I am sure it was a manufacturing problem and not shipping damage or anything like that.

Have only listened for 2 minutes, can't really say much about sound sig except I liked them a lot.

Nov 22, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #148 of 1,160
Oh well, and here I was hoping for that GR10 would be more "violent" like SR325. 
tongue_smile.gif

So it seems it may be something like one of my full-sized 'phones miniaturized, lol.
But not the one I was hoping for. 
frown.gif

Nov 22, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #150 of 1,160
I'm sending these back for a replacement pair, but I gave them a little ear time today since I can't get to the post office right away (seriously... why do they close at 5? We're all at work till 5!)

Early review: I like them a lot, they have a lot in common with the GR8 but maybe a tad more V shaped (a hair more bass and a decent amount more treble). I feel like the GR8 is "warm" to my ear because of a rolled-off treble, and the GR10 is "warm" to my ear because of a slightly heavier upper bass / lower mids. I EQed down the 220Hz band on my S9 and it started sounding just perfect to me, not warm at all but just right. There is a lovely delicacy about them and the texture of instruments and voices is beautiful. Like the GR8, I especially enjoy how they sound with strings. Excellent detail. Compared to the GR8s side by side they just have a more realistic sound. Outwardly the two IEMs are identical - cable, housing, tips. Just the color and the innards are different. The GR10s are substantially louder than the GR8s (~25% on the S9) but have about the same amount of hiss when plugged into a noisy source (my laptop).

I'm using them with modded Comply tips (trimmed to the same length as the Grado tips to keep the same wide-open sound tube and distance from the eardrum) - the Grado tips are great, but my ears won't tolerate silicone tips. It's really a shame because the ease of use with the included tips is incredible. You couldn't get a smoother insertion if you lubricated them, and they seal perfectly every time - no muss, no fuss. 

I suspect I'll have a pair of lightly-used GR8s on the market in a few weeks
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back