GRADO GR10: Reviews, First Impressions Thread
Jun 5, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #558 of 1,160
Not the only place but whatever, seems like it's always going to be something. I had a 1st generation master dub of a Kurt Elling recording that I know like the back of my hand as I heard it in various stages of mastering, know his speaking voice and have seen him live multiple times. They're just not for me. I'm genuinely glad that you like them. You seem upset that others may like something you don't. By the way, what I liked from that show for their price points were the HF5, JH5 and JH13. Got there too late to hear Westone so my likes of that day does not reflect on them.

Jun 21, 2011 at 7:21 AM Post #559 of 1,160
Probably very redundant queries here  but I'll ask and hope that you can at least point to archive links for answers...
How much in keeping are Grado IEMs compared to tradit. Grado cans (SR 80, 325is, etc.) -- i.e., WRT their distinctive sonic characteristics ? E.g., my SR-80s are very fast/dynamic with punchy bass and smooth (if fwd) mids. They are not refined, nor is their freq. response extended (at either end). But the SR-80s are pace-and-rhythm kings of all the cans I have heard (except perhaps Stax electrostats). Anyway ... excellent pace-and-rhythm. That's what I want above all in an IEM. Do Grado IEMs deliver here? 

Jun 21, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #560 of 1,160
It's really hard to compare IEMs to full size. The mids are detailed and not really forward. The bass isn't as punchy as 80s but extends better. They're more refined, extended and even once run in. They have plenty of prat but not the forward presentation or extra boogie of the 80s. More like the stax in presentation but smaller than the cans. That said, They're neutral enough that tips can swing them to a different sig. Hybrids bring up the mids and punches up the bass while still having enough top but I prefer the timbre with the stock tips over anything else I've tried.

Jun 21, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #561 of 1,160

Quote:
It's really hard to compare IEMs to full size. The mids are detailed and not really forward. The bass isn't as punchy as 80s but extends better. They're more refined, extended and even once run in. They have plenty of prat but not the forward presentation or extra boogie of the 80s. More like the stax in presentation but smaller than the cans. That said, They're neutral enough that tips can swing them to a different sig. Hybrids bring up the mids and punches up the bass while still having enough top but I prefer the timbre with the stock tips over anything else I've tried.

Which hybrid tips are you specifically referring to?

Bottom lines for what I want in an IEM ... 

I want modern, solid-state sound. An IEM that you can use to keep you motivated while jogging or running. I find SM3s too laid back (tube-like). The IE8s are just about right, but I wouldn't mind if their mids were ALSO as refined/clean as SM3s. (Dunno if that's possible at any $$ range; I've seen this trade-off in not only cans but all transducers ... and source/amp electronics as well). It seems that with Grado's std. cans, the high-end models lost (traded in ?) their punchy edge (+ 'fuller' sound) for a cleaner (and 'peakier') sound.

IAC ... as long as PRaT is preserved, cleaner is better ... tho' for errand-running/dynamic/exercise/workout use, PRaT, dynamics/transients/power, and slam-factor are most important. But I don't think it is for the higher-end Grado std. cans. Also, the higher-end Grado's (compared to SR-60, -80) -- while cleaner -- seemed to have a non-flat response. As if the ol' freq. response graph "looked" (from my interpretation of what I hear, anyway) like camel's humps; the lower-end models sound dirtier but more "even" and, hence, fuller. So ... How do the GR10s compare with higher-end Grado std. cans?

Jun 22, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #562 of 1,160
Did my best. You'll need to do some listening. Sony hybrid tips. IE8s or SM3s don't sound like Grado cans so I don't really know what to tell you. It's rather personal expectations that need to be met and that can vary a lot. I can tell you that they'll reward a good source and not mask a bad one so that may play a larger roll in your satisfaction.

Jun 22, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #563 of 1,160

Quote:
Did my best. You'll need to do some listening. Sony hybrid tips. IE8s or SM3s don't sound like Grado cans so I don't really know what to tell you. It's rather personal expectations that need to be met and that can vary a lot. I can tell you that they'll reward a good source and not mask a bad one so that may play a larger roll in your satisfaction.

Your overall reaction/reply seems as if I offended you somehow. Sorry!
IAC ... 
I don't know what you own or what you've heard so it's hard to know where you're coming from. Hint, hint ... wink, wink ... your Head-Fi Community Profile is empty. I'm also equally baffled by your comment "IE8s or SM3s don't sound like Grado cans so I don't really know what to tell you". For approx. the same word-count, you may have said something far more useful, like ...

"…the GR10s have a larger soundstage and are more sensitive to musical nuance, bringing up more low-end bass tonality, a quicker note attack, an even greater definition"

"...for the mid-band: its shock and awe! With enormous dynamics, extraordinary definition, and wide-open soundstaging, the GR10s are glorous midrange performers. This is where most of the music lives, and it lives big-time in the GR10s."

"What really appeals about the GR10 is that they are downright fun to listen to. "

"It's not just accuracy that the GR10s offer, they also have a huge soundstage."

[all above are blurb quotes lifted from GR10 page on Grado's site]

Alternatively (and equally appreciated) would be ... the GR10s suck because "..." or are a mixed sonic bag because "..."

Jun 22, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #564 of 1,160
Not offended. Just gave a description without getting into too much opinion. I own them and they are my go to IEM. My cans are Stax LNS that I taylored the back for better solidity. My home kit is Naim 500 series. I still haven't heard the computer that matches dedicated audio kit as source, even with things like the Weiss int202 via ASIO or wasapi through my fav DAC which is the best I've heard for computer audio. I'm critical and it matters to me. What I was saying is that there comes a point with things this good that you really do just need to listen for yourself as you could speak to another with similar passion who prefers something else but to answer your questions.

The GR10 can be warm or not depending on source. They're fast, extended and revealing. Their soundstage depends on insertion. Shallow insertion gets you a large field. Deep insertion does not. They don't have recessed mids or phase issues that can sometimes enhance depth at the expense of the mids which for me is where it starts. They have a fabulous neutral but not analytical mid range that has great texture and harmonic structure when broken in which takes a while. To me, they have great dynamics as they can play loud and quiet at the same time with proper attack where you can differentiate the hit from sustain. Others will feel different as they're not unnaturally punchy. Shock and awe? Beats me but I can get goose bumps from them. They're neither as dry as most BAs nor as euphonic as most dynamics. I know either can work equally well but these are generalizations for descriptive purposes. Nothing can be more comfortable.

I find them quite the chameleon and is probably why you get some diversion of opinion on them. If you're looking for 'a sound' these are probably not for you unless you can achieve that with your source. Nothing is perfect but they're too close to right for that. Really, you need to find a broken in pair and see if you appreciate them as I do or not. It's obvious that not everyone will. That's great and they're not wrong for themselves but I keep going back to them regardless of what else I try. Of course, I haven't heard all the latest over $400 phones but I know of folks that like these over them and also the other way around. That part is up to you. I just wanted to let you know that they're definitely a contender, more comfy, as easy to use as an IEM can be and worth the effort for an audition. You shouldn't buy based on my opinion and I didn't want to wax lyrically about them just because I own them. Of what I've actually heard, the 2 IEMs in this range that I like the most are the Grado GR10 and the JH audio JH5 custom.

Jun 22, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #566 of 1,160

Quote:
Not offended. Just gave a description without getting into too much opinion. I own them and they are my go to IEM. My cans are Stax LNS that I taylored the back for better solidity. My home kit is Naim 500 series. I still haven't heard the computer that matches dedicated audio kit as source, even with things like the Weiss int202 via ASIO or wasapi through my fav DAC which is the best I've heard for computer audio. I'm critical and it matters to me. What I was saying is that there comes a point with things this good that you really do just need to listen for yourself as you could speak to another with similar passion who prefers something else but to answer your questions.

The GR10 can be warm or not depending on source. They're fast, extended and revealing. Their soundstage depends on insertion. Shallow insertion gets you a large field. Deep insertion does not. They don't have recessed mids or phase issues that can sometimes enhance depth at the expense of the mids which for me is where it starts. They have a fabulous neutral but not analytical mid range that has great texture and harmonic structure when broken in which takes a while. To me, they have great dynamics as they can play loud and quiet at the same time with proper attack where you can differentiate the hit from sustain. Others will feel different as they're not unnaturally punchy. Shock and awe? Beats me but I can get goose bumps from them. They're neither as dry as most BAs nor as euphonic as most dynamics. I know either can work equally well but these are generalizations for descriptive purposes. Nothing can be more comfortable.

I find them quite the chameleon and is probably why you get some diversion of opinion on them. If you're looking for 'a sound' these are probably not for you unless you can achieve that with your source. Nothing is perfect but they're too close to right for that. Really, you need to find a broken in pair and see if you appreciate them as I do or not. It's obvious that not everyone will. That's great and they're not wrong for themselves but I keep going back to them regardless of what else I try. Of course, I haven't heard all the latest over $400 phones but I know of folks that like these over them and also the other way around. That part is up to you. I just wanted to let you know that they're definitely a contender, more comfy, as easy to use as an IEM can be and worth the effort for an audition. You shouldn't buy based on my opinion and I didn't want to wax lyrically about them just because I own them. Of what I've actually heard, the 2 IEMs in this range that I like the most are the Grado GR10 and the JH audio JH5 custom.

goodvibes: you have, relatively speaking, very high-end gear. And you seem to value subjective metrics like 'PRaT' (Naim) and 'fast transients' (Naim/Stax).  Given these personal acoustic 'values', I'd say your favorable comments re: GR10 are in alignment with my top IEM requirements.
I'm still a bit uncomfortable that you haven't had the opportunity to compare the GR10s to many other IEMs (not your fault, of course!). Given that, I disagree with your comment "...as dry as most BAs nor as euphonic as most dynamics". IMO, there are no hard-and-fast 'rules' like this. E.g., my IE8s (dynamic) are way less 'euphonic' than my 'SM3v2' (BA). You can check my profile for what I own. I've sampled more at headphone shows and meets. And I try to read and digest as much as possible on the technology and myriad subjective reviews.

I'm a bit puzzled that the GR10 -- which has been out for some time now -- still seem a bit obscure ... especially in multi-IEM-review threads.

What's the nozzle diameter (mm)?

Jun 22, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #567 of 1,160
Jun 23, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #570 of 1,160

Users who are viewing this thread

Back