Grado Fan Club!
Sep 17, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #9,376 of 65,629
I just got my RS1 in today and from the little that I have gotten to listen I think I can confidently say I am dig em!! Oh so musical, and they retrieve all that Grado detail without any fatigue. They are so smooth but retain all the things that you think of when you think Grado(timbre,excitement, timing,etc.). I wasn't sure what they would sound like compared to by HF-2's but I dig these more, quite a bit more. Overall, they just seem more balanced. The RS1's sound fantastic with my KICAS Caliente solid state and they sound even better with Glow tube amp. In all honestly these make me appreciate how good a value the 80's are, these just do everything better. The sound is much more refined  on the RS1 but it hard to believe how little the SR60 &80 cost in regard to sound quality. I am very happy and think that I have hit my Grado plateau for a while:) These things just sing. Just wanted to say thanks for all the input, it was all very helpful!

Sep 17, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #9,377 of 65,629
I can't tell the difference between RS-1 and RS-2 so I'm lucky. I don't have a problem spending the extra money at all,  but I think the RS-2 is perfect for me.

Sep 17, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #9,378 of 65,629
Anyone have any experience in both the rs2 and 1 ? Being that I have the ps500, I was thinking of trying an rs2 first

Get the RS1i. I found the RS2 to be very shrill and almost unbearable, never felt the same about SR60, 225 or MS Pro. Dubstep Girl agrees with my perceptions of it. To her the RS1i sounds a lot better.

Not sure if mine was faulty or what, some people don't seem to hear much difference like Chris above. I have a hunch about overpowering them with my amps, which could explain what I heard. But I did use low gain.

Sep 17, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #9,379 of 65,629
  Get the RS1i. I found the RS2 to be very shrill and almost unbearable, never felt the same about SR60, 225 or MS Pro. Dubstep Girl agrees with my perceptions of it. To her the RS1i sounds a lot better.

Not sure if mine was faulty or what, some people don't seem to hear much difference like Chris above. I have a hunch about overpowering them with my amps, which could explain what I heard. But I did use low gain.

Err SR-325's sound like that for a while until they burn-in.

Burn-in is real. I worked at a car audio dealer, and basically youre given instructions not to play at regular listening volume for a certain amount of listening time.. it's so you don't stress the drivers while they "relax".

If not, well RS-2 apparently is just a different headphone for you lol. I gave my RS-2 away and bought a new pair, I decided I don't want a recabled wood Grado and I'll take it as is. No more mods for me, just listening pleasure.

Besides how in the heck do people compare headphones they've modded online in terms of sound?

Sep 17, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #9,380 of 65,629

Yeah, I'm thinking about that as a way to try the GS1000i's.  Man, that headphone sticks with me, I have to try it.  In the meantime, I have a new set of ortho's coming at the end of the month, so I really need to cool it

YMMV, but I've found that this is the most picky Grado I've owned (of the 60s, 80s, 325s, 500s, and GS1ks). I was slightly disappointed with them when I first bought them (new). This is the one Grado that I don't like at all directly from a headphone jack. It needs a headamp, preferably something with tubes, to sound their best. I just use a Little Dot I+ with upgraded tubes, and paired with a nice quality DAC I've really come to enjoy these phones. Also, even though I still don't know where I stand on burn-in, I'd give them some time before critical listening. Long story short, these have nearly pulled even with my PS500s. I am even starting to like the G-cush pads, whereas before I was really favoring the L's. And on top of it all, they are REALLY nice looking in person. 

But anyway, I just wanted to support you in your endeavor to audition the "forgotten Grado" lol....

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #9,381 of 65,629
QUOTE BY OTEIL:
"In all honestly these make me appreciate how good a value the 80's are, these just do
everything better. The sound is much more refined  on the RS1 but it hard to believe how little the SR60 &80 cost in regard to sound quality".

So what you are saying is that the 60 and the 80 are very similar in sound signature with the RS1i, so in your opinion is the RS1i really worth the extra $595.00, is it really that much worth of a difference? I'm asking because I'm interested in the RS1i also (of course), but a lot people do say what you are saying that it sounds a lot like the 60, 80, and I love my 80's ( and also my 325's), so being that you are saying they sound very similar, I'm just very curious. Thanks, and congratulations on the RS1's, enjoy

Sep 17, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #9,382 of 65,629
Err SR-325's sound like that for a while until they burn-in.

Burn-in is real. I worked at a car audio dealer, and basically youre given instructions not to play at regular listening volume for a certain amount of listening time.. it's so you don't stress the drivers while they "relax".

If not, well RS-2 apparently is just a different headphone for you lol. I gave my RS-2 away and bought a new pair, I decided I don't want a recabled wood Grado and I'll take it as is. No more mods for me, just listening pleasure.

Besides how in the heck do people compare headphones they've modded online in terms of sound?

Strange I put them in my closet for 6 nights worth of 10 hours each. I didn't hear to much difference. Maybe my NFB 5.32 just matched poorly with them. I wonder if there could have been something wrong with my source at the time.

Sep 17, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #9,383 of 65,629
I have upgraded my M2tech hiface with 5V external power supply, and the sound is a lot less bright on my PS1000.
Though, I feel I'm missing something, it's still a bit to shinning for me.
I have a HA 160, and I think I'm going to look for a tube amp to "cool the PS1000 down"....
Anyone got an amp to recomand?
My dac is the Burson dac, I don't plan to change it.

Sep 17, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #9,384 of 65,629
  I have upgraded my M2tech hiface with 5V external power supply, and the sound is a lot less bright on my PS1000.
Though, I feel I'm missing something, it's still a bit to shinning for me.
I have a HA 160, and I think I'm going to look for a tube amp to "cool the PS1000 down"....
Anyone got an amp to recomand?
My dac is the Burson dac, I don't plan to change it.

I'm actually experiencing a bit less sizzle on my RS1i with a solid state amp. The Audio-GD "Fun" with the "Earth" module seems a bit more tame than the Little Dot I+ amp.  Then again, I have to get into a bit more tube options as the pair I'm using are not the OEM tubes, but were added by the seller when I purchased the amp.

Sep 17, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #9,385 of 65,629
  QUOTE BY OTEIL:
"In all honestly these make me appreciate how good a value the 80's are, these just do
everything better. The sound is much more refined  on the RS1 but it hard to believe how little the SR60 &80 cost in regard to sound quality".

So what you are saying is that the 60 and the 80 are very similar in sound signature with the RS1i, so in your opinion is the RS1i really worth the extra $595.00, is it really that much worth of a difference? I'm asking because I'm interested in the RS1i also (of course), but a lot people do say what you are saying that it sounds a lot like the 60, 80, and I love my 80's ( and also my 325's), so being that you are saying they sound very similar, I'm just very curious. Thanks, and congratulations on the RS1's, enjoy

I'm not Oteil, but I think it's really difficult to make a definitive statement about whether the difference between RS1i and SR60 is worth the money.  There is no doubt at all that the RS1i is "better", and there is also little doubt that if you like the Grado signature you will love the RS1i.  But whether the difference is worth that much money?  That's got to be down to the individual.

A related question is something like this: do I think a Grado fan who never hears the RS1i is missing something?  Yes I do.

Sep 17, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #9,386 of 65,629

I'm not Oteil, but I think it's really difficult to make a definitive statement about whether the difference between RS1i and SR60 is worth the money.  There is no doubt at all that the RS1i is "better", and there is also little doubt that if you like the Grado signature you will love the RS1i.  But whether the difference is worth that much money?  That's got to be down to the individual.

A related question is something like this: do I think a Grado fan who never hears the RS1i is missing something?  Yes I do.

Yeah, you killed me with that last sentence, lol. Everybody pretty much says what you've said, so I guess I have no choice but to check them out. Its almost as if from what I've read that there is a thin line between the 80's and the RS1, that has to be listened to for one's self. Thanks for your reply 

Sep 17, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #9,387 of 65,629

YMMV, but I've found that this is the most picky Grado I've owned (of the 60s, 80s, 325s, 500s, and GS1ks). I was slightly disappointed with them when I first bought them (new). This is the one Grado that I don't like at all directly from a headphone jack. It needs a headamp, preferably something with tubes, to sound their best. I just use a Little Dot I+ with upgraded tubes, and paired with a nice quality DAC I've really come to enjoy these phones. Also, even though I still don't know where I stand on burn-in, I'd give them some time before critical listening. Long story short, these have nearly pulled even with my PS500s. I am even starting to like the G-cush pads, whereas before I was really favoring the L's. And on top of it all, they are REALLY nice looking in person.

But anyway, I just wanted to support you in your endeavor to audition the "forgotten Grado" lol....

Thanks dude, I appreciate the support.

I swear to God, I think about these cans every night before I go to sleep.  Similar to my reaction to Ohm speakers when I read about them.

I do not anticipate buying an amp in the near future, with the one exception of the Mojlnir for the two balanced cans I will have.  My plan will be to run the GS1000's straight out of the Oppo BDP-105, or out of my receiver.  Nothing against tube guys, but I prefer to color my sound with EQ, if at all.  I guess I'm one of those 'straight wire with gain' guys when it comes to amps.

Sep 17, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #9,388 of 65,629
i pm'd a guy with a rs1 on the sale thread, decent price, but its in the great white north, oh that extra 50 bucks ! lol

Sep 17, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #9,389 of 65,629
  QUOTE BY OTEIL:

I think it is really hard to say really if they are worth the money for you, but for me they are definitely worth it. I have owned quite a few Grado's and these are just what I was looking for, so yeah it worth it to me but you might not think so:) If you dig Grado's I don't see how you couldn't like them, but everyone is different. I picked my RS-1 up used, if you can find a good deal definitely go for it:) I have been contemplating getting these phones for quite a few years. I am glad that I finally own them. They sound so good!

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #9,390 of 65,629

I think it is really hard to say really if they are worth the money for you, but for me they are definitely worth it. I have owned quite a few Grado's and these are just what I was looking for, so yeah it worth it to me but you might not think so:) If you dig Grado's I don't see how you couldn't like them, but everyone is different. I picked my RS-1 up used, if you can find a good deal definitely go for it:) I have been contemplating getting these phones for quite a few years. I am glad that I finally own them. They sound so good!

The difference in price between the SR-80 and RS-1i does have to be considered.  However, there are many people who spend more than $550 on an amp, which is about the same as the price spread between the two Grado headphones.  Plus,  you have to remember, we only live once!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back