Grado Fan Club!
Sep 6, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #9,181 of 65,637
  Do you mind revealing how much Grado charged for this "restoration?
Did they do all that work for the $35 flat fee?
Asking as there was a lot or earlier discussion of Grado's repair service and cost.

No problem. They charged me $40 for the repairs plus $20 for the new pads (which was optional, but the old ones were 10 years old). So total was $60 plus one way shipping (they covered the shipping back to me). So for $60 I got a good as new pair of Sr225 phones, I'll take that deal any day.

Sep 6, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #9,182 of 65,637
  No problem. They charged me $40 for the repairs plus $20 for the new pads (which was optional, but the old ones were 10 years old). So total was $60 plus one way shipping (they covered the shipping back to me). So for $60 I got a good as new pair of Sr225 phones, I'll take that deal any day.

Cool! I'd say better than new with them old school cups! 
beerchug.gif

Sep 6, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #9,183 of 65,637
  Darnit!

WJE, I notice that you once owned the 5LE's, and perhaps my query makes sense to you.  Or anyone else, for that matter...

I've actually owned the HE-5LEs twice.  I think it's hard to get some of the detail of the HE-5LE, unless maybe the exception would be the GS-1000(i) series.  I haven't heard the PS-1000, so I can't comment.  The RS1i has detail, but the upper frequencies are quite "polite".  They're there when you need it, but then they don't honk at you when they're not needed.  Being that an orthodynamic headphone is quite a different beast, it might be awfully hard to chase down a headphone with dynamic drivers that can compete on the same level of performance.  The drawback on the HE-5LE, though, can be the weight at times because they really approach the "ear speaker" level, to a degree.  The ortho headphones can get  you twice, though.  Once when you buy the headphones because the cost will be slightly more -- depending on which dynamic driver based headphone you compare it to.  Then, you have to get an adequate amp to drive them.  This eliminates about 90% of the amp market.  However, most amp makers (read: Schiit) are responding quite quickly to the newer demands of the orthodynamic headphones.

The HE-5LE can be quite a cliff hanger of a headphone.  You can get so close to perfection ... yet, then question yourself if there's something else out there that could give just a little more.  After going through 9 HifiMan changes, I realized not just one would make me happy.  I'd need about 3 of the models to do so.  That is when I said I'm heading back to Grado for a bit.  The RS1i is quite the dreamy sound.  In fact, the sound is nothing like I thought it was going to be ... but, it is 10 times better to my ears and what I hear so I can enjoy.

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #9,184 of 65,637
I'm a long time sr80 owner, and have a question for you grado heads out there.  I love the sound, but want to go a little further with my audiophilia.

I listen to mostly prog rock/metal, some trip-hop jam type electronic stuff too, all on my computer (IEM's for portable device).  My current dac 'sound card' is microsoft's "high definition audio device", and I don't have an amp.  I know I can benefit from a better external dac and amp combo, but also could benefit from going up to the sr325.

The question: Is money better spent moving up the grado line or investing in a dac/amp?

I'd like to keep it under $300.  I've heard good things about the hifiman ef2a and the little dot I+ (paired with a dac), but could use some help deciding.

Thanks head-fi'ers

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #9,185 of 65,637

RE the PS500 - I found the PS-500s a bit to bright for my liking, but the mids are similar.

You're definitely a Sennheiser guy if even the 500s are too bright for you. 

Sep 6, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #9,186 of 65,637
I'm a long time sr80 owner, and have a question for you grado heads out there.  I love the sound, but want to go a little further with my audiophilia.

I listen to mostly prog rock/metal, some trip-hop jam type electronic stuff too, all on my computer (IEM's for portable device).  My current dac 'sound card' is microsoft's "high definition audio device", and I don't have an amp.  I know I can benefit from a better external dac and amp combo, but also could benefit from going up to the sr325.

The question: Is money better spent moving up the grado line or investing in a dac/amp?

I'd like to keep it under $300.  I've heard good things about the hifiman ef2a and the little dot I+ (paired with a dac), but could use some help deciding.

Thanks head-fi'ers

the 325 in my experience bnenefits from a good amp and source, otherwise the difference between it and the 80 can be quite marginal. having said that the 325 goes for a different sound signature than the rest of the SR line. if you like the 80 and just want to improve everything about it then the 225 is a better option and cheaper, with the RS1 being the best option for a lot more money. i found the 225 though doesn't need an amp like the 325 but a lot of people still recommend the LD1+.

Sep 6, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #9,189 of 65,637

I've actually owned the HE-5LEs twice.  I think it's hard to get some of the detail of the HE-5LE, unless maybe the exception would be the GS-1000(i) series.  I haven't heard the PS-1000, so I can't comment.  The RS1i has detail, but the upper frequencies are quite "polite".  They're there when you need it, but then they don't honk at you when they're not needed.  Being that an orthodynamic headphone is quite a different beast, it might be awfully hard to chase down a headphone with dynamic drivers that can compete on the same level of performance.  The drawback on the HE-5LE, though, can be the weight at times because they really approach the "ear speaker" level, to a degree.  The ortho headphones can get  you twice, though.  Once when you buy the headphones because the cost will be slightly more -- depending on which dynamic driver based headphone you compare it to.  Then, you have to get an adequate amp to drive them.  This eliminates about 90% of the amp market.  However, most amp makers (read: Schiit) are responding quite quickly to the newer demands of the orthodynamic headphones.

The HE-5LE can be quite a cliff hanger of a headphone.  You can get so close to perfection ... yet, then question yourself if there's something else out there that could give just a little more.  After going through 9 HifiMan changes, I realized not just one would make me happy.  I'd need about 3 of the models to do so.  That is when I said I'm heading back to Grado for a bit.  The RS1i is quite the dreamy sound.  In fact, the sound is nothing like I thought it was going to be ... but, it is 10 times better to my ears and what I hear so I can enjoy.

There's a lot to that response, and thank-you.  But, it's getting late and I need to crash.  For now, all I'll comment on is amplification. It's not a problem.  I'm old-school when it comes to that, and have no problem running a speaker-tap off a receiver. I have yet to buy-in to the whole headphone amp-thing, and I run the 5LE's off my Marantz SR7002, which is going to give me enough power to run just about any headphone ever made.  If not, then I have a Crown XLS Drivecore 1500.  The Marantz HP out is more than enough for the 225i's, and probably any other Grado out there.

Still, a Mjolnir is on the short-list once I get my Oppo BDP-105 after I graduate in December.

Sep 6, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #9,190 of 65,637

Thanks head-fi'ers

What format are your music files? MP3? flac?

If you want a transparent window on the music, you have to start with quality files (lossless), sent to a good dac, then to a good amp.

An 80 is a good enough can to appreciate differences in all of the above. You can always upgrade cans when the rest of the chain is delivering the goods.

Sep 6, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #9,191 of 65,637

I expected more after read a lot of reviews here and other topics=/
I just listen to metal music , thrash / death and black metal
source is an ipod , without amp =/

Yeah.  An amp would probably really help. A lot.

Oh, and I listen to a lot of the same music.  I think you just need more power than the iPod can deliver.  What bitrate are your MP3's at?

Sep 6, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #9,192 of 65,637
the 325 in my experience bnenefits from a good amp and source, otherwise the difference between it and the 80 can be quite marginal. having said that the 325 goes for a different sound signature than the rest of the SR line. if you like the 80 and just want to improve everything about it then the 225 is a better option and cheaper, with the RS1 being the best option for a lot more money. i found the 225 though doesn't need an amp like the 325 but a lot of people still recommend the LD1+.

Would the 80s benefit from a good amp and source? Or do you think I'd be better off upgrading to the 225s and continue without an amp/dac?

Sep 6, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #9,193 of 65,637
What format are your music files? MP3? flac?

If you want a transparent window on the music, you have to start with quality files (lossless), sent to a good dac, then to a good amp.

An 80 is a good enough can to appreciate differences in all of the above. You can always upgrade cans when the rest of the chain is delivering the goods.

I listen to high bitrate mp3 from both Spotify (320 or so they say) and my library which is between 192 and 320. my ears can't hear the difference between that and lossless. Think I would benefit more from amp/dac?

Sep 6, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #9,194 of 65,637
Lets not forget ones own ears/brain adjusting to a particular sound.

Nope - that one I don't believe.  I would rather believe that the great majority of people notice something definite and then try to explain it, rather than assume that everyone's senses and brains are useless if it can't be measured ... but maybe that's just me.
rolleyes.gif

Sep 7, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #9,195 of 65,637
Would the 80s benefit from a good amp and source? Or do you think I'd be better off upgrading to the 225s and continue without an amp/dac?

I own both the 80's and the 325's, and IMO they both benefit from a headphone amp and dac. The 80's and the 325's are just amazing headphone, and better sources really made them shine, especially the (325's). I use both headphone just about equally, also using the LD1+ or the Schiit Magni amp, both with the Modi dac equally, and I enjoy each all of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back