Grado Fan Club!
Apr 11, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #6,887 of 65,636
On the 325is it is actually hand inscribed on the plastic driver housing itself. When you remove the ear cushions the serial number is  right on the top side of the driver, as far as the RS models are concerned, I would think that it is inscribed in the same location on the wood driver housing, but don't quote me on that I do not own the RS1i model. That is very inexpensive for the RS1i. 

Apr 12, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #6,889 of 65,636
Well as far as the photos go they do look very nice!!! But like I mentioned before, you must be certain that the serial numbers on the drivers can be verified by Grado, so you know that they are absoulutly RS1i drivers and not a lower priced driver that was put into RS1i cups. It really is a very inexpensive price for these headphones, and by all means I am not saying that they are fakes, but you never know, Are these from a fellow Head-fier? Are they from a classified ad? Are they from eBay? Is there any info from the seller? The thing that also worries me about used Grados is that even if the paper work states the same serial number as the drivers, it doesn't mean the person didn't inscribe the serial number themselves on a less expensive SR model, and switch them, because I believe from the 225i down do not have serial numbers on them. They should really be inscribed with a stamp, not by hand if you ask me. So all I can tell you is to beware! You know how most of the time deals like this are too good to be true. These headphones look so brand new that the headband doesn't even look like it was ever pulled apart to create less of a clamping effect on your head! They look like they just came out of the box! I hope for your sake that they are truly authentic (the drivers) and you do get them for a steal, that would really be nice!

Apr 12, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #6,890 of 65,636
The seller said that they were 18 months old and was used modestly about a couple of times a week because he uses his speakers most of the time.

I'll probably try and test them out first to check if I like the sound. 

I've used and owned a Denon D7000 for 3 years. My headphone is used every single day with an average of about 2 - 3 hours per day since they were bought. Sad to say that the amount of use is really showing on it so I was hoping I could get a second pair while I try and find a way to fix it up a little bit.

I pray I won't be disappointed or underwhelmed by Grado considering I've heard good stuff about it.

Apr 12, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #6,891 of 65,636
Quote:
That's a tough combination of traits to expect out of a headphone. The headphone I've tried that best matches that description is the Hifiman HE-500. You may look into it. Skip past the HE-400.

I can understand this. I really like my V5's / Turbulent X's, but they are perhaps the most treble-oriented headphones I've tried. I listen at low volumes, so this is not a troubling issue to me, but they are very bright headphones and do tend to rip apart sibilant recordings. On the other hand, they're also the most detailed, clear sounding headphones I've heard, and I really enjoy the soundstage presentation, despite being on-ear.

being a treble head I can totally see where you're coming from, but for me, that's why they are the perfect can for me. 

I've had my magnums for over a year and they literally sound just as good to me today as the very day I got them. So engaging, so upfront. A perfect personification of the grado sound...

Apr 12, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #6,893 of 65,636
Apr 12, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #6,895 of 65,636
Quote:
being a treble head I can totally see where you're coming from, but for me, that's why they are the perfect can for me. 

I've had my magnums for over a year and they literally sound just as good to me today as the very day I got them. So engaging, so upfront. A perfect personification of the grado sound...

Absolutely! Have you tried the new drivers yet? The V5's / TX's (Turbulent X)? I think the TX's bring the clarity, detail, separation, and soundstage of the V4's to a new level. I've had the V4's in wood, and find the TX's in wood are superior in the aforementioned areas. I also currently own a full Symphones Magnum V4 build at the moment, and I still prefer aspects of the TX sound to the full V4 build.

For $130 and the price of some spare housing / cable, I'd say it's worth a shot! That soundstage... http://turbulentlabs.com/turbulent-x-headphone-driver/

Although, as an aside, I would say the TX's are not as upfront sounding as the V4's. It lends to the more spacious soundstage, but being on-ear I find the sound still very engaging, just in a less fatiguing manner than the V4's.

Apr 12, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #6,896 of 65,636
I'd rather try them first then outright buy them. Also as seeing as I am not handy by any means I would have to outsource and have a 3rd party individual construct the headphone for me. Which I'd be happy to do but it's still a process. Considering I'm still highly in love with my magnums, and they literally just turned a year old (literally received them on my birthday of last year, that's how awesome a certain Mid character is on this sight, what long Range he has((wink wink))) I believe I'm good. For now. lol. 

Apr 12, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #6,898 of 65,636
as good as the microstreamer preforms as a head amp,  the e9k sounds better to me.
I don't know what it is, it is my first dedicated head amp.
the 225's sound better, better extension, soundstage, all the way around
the same goes for the ms1.
it might be the power of suggestion, wishful thinking
whatever it is, i like it !!

Apr 13, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #6,899 of 65,636
I have the 125i and granted I have never listened to any of the cans above the 125i I love them. Currently using them with the Schiitatni/Modi stack and I have no regrets or desire to upgrade

Apr 13, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #6,900 of 65,636
It would be interesting if someone who actually had access to all the SR series headphones could do a short review of all of them, from the 60 to the 325, compared one to the other, using the same source, same electronics ect

Users who are viewing this thread

Back