Grado Fan Club!
Apr 11, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #6,856 of 65,637
I don't own it now but I've had both the PS1000 and PS500. The PS1000 still has bass with a midbass bump so it's boosted above flat (so maybe it might still be more than you like) but it doesn't bleed into the lower mids like the PS500 bass, from what I remember

My issue with the PS1000 is the very sharp treble. The PS500 treble is quite mellow compared to the spike in the treble on the PS1000.

Hey, this question is for folks who own the PS500 & PS1000.

I personally don't really dig the PS500, because I find its mid-bass to be a bit too much for my tastes. In that vein, is it probable that I won't like the PS1000? Or is the PS1000's bass a touch more neutral than the PS500's?

Thanks!

My PS500 don't get much head time due to the bleeding bass issue. You're spot on. Much prefer the RS1s to the PS500s.
The PS1000s are a totally different animal. There is that Grado mid-bass thump but absolutely no bleeding of the bass into the lower mids. The bass is very textured, tight and great slam.
Vocals are lush & delicious.

However, the PS1000s, IME, need to be very carefully amped & sourced.
I have gone from WA22, EAR HP4 to ECBA and finally to the Pinnacle and only now am I fully satisfied.
The MAD EAR+ is also great, just has a little less bass than the Pinnacle.

Apr 11, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #6,858 of 65,637
Quote:

I have owned the PS500 but after a few weeks, i decided to upgrade to the PS1000. The main reason why i decided to take them back, is that i like to listen to female vocals, and i tought that they lended a slight chestyness to women's voices.

As far as the PS1000 go, i don't know if i'm a good reference, because as i've said before, aside for their weight, they're is nothing that i don't like about them. They have good bass extension, the mids are right on the money, and the highs are airy, extended and never fatiguing. They have a wide and deep soundstage. I'd say they combine the best of the PS500 and RS1i, and then some.

Take this with a grain of salt, but i hope it helps.

Quote:
My PS500 don't get much head time due to the bleeding bass issue. You're spot on. Much prefer the RS1s to the PS500s.
The PS1000s are a totally different animal. There is that Grado mid-bass thump but absolutely no bleeding of the bass into the lower mids. The bass is very textured, tight and great slam.
Vocals are lush & delicious.

However, the PS1000s, IME, need to be very carefully amped & sourced.
I have gone from WA22, EAR HP4 to ECBA and finally to the Pinnacle and only now am I fully satisfied.
The MAD EAR+ is also great, just has a little less bass than the Pinnacle.

Quote:

I don't own it now but I've had both the PS1000 and PS500. The PS1000 still has bass with a midbass bump so it's boosted above flat (so maybe it might still be more than you like) but it doesn't bleed into the lower mids like the PS500 bass, from what I remember

My issue with the PS1000 is the very sharp treble. The PS500 treble is quite mellow compared to the spike in the treble on the PS1000.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses. My fears are assuaged. I may indeed love the PS1000!

Now how far do I have to drive to audition these things? Anyone know of a great headphone shop in the mid-west? I'm willing to make a weekend of it!

Apr 11, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #6,859 of 65,637
As a treble sensitive listener, who just happens to love hearing details in music, I once again, cautiously inquire about grado's.

I read this review:

http://www.headfonia.com/the-new-grado-sound-grado-ps500/

....which claims that the grado ps500 represents a departure from extreme treble boost to a more natural presentation.

Can I listen to the ps500's as a treble sensitive listener?

Apr 11, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #6,860 of 65,637
Quote:
As a treble sensitive listener, who just happens to love hearing details in music, I once again, cautiously inquire about grado's.

I read this review:

....which claims that the grado ps500 represents a departure from extreme treble boost to a more natural presentation.

I would recommend either SR225 or RS1i

Apr 11, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #6,861 of 65,637
Quote:

I read this review:

If you're sensitive to treble (or accentuated high mids), the PS500 is the only Grado I would recommend and you should still buy it from a place with a good return policy... just in case

If you can demo other Grado models, go for it. But I have tried pretty much all of them and none of them are light on the treble or upper mids.

Apr 11, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #6,863 of 65,637
Quote:
If anyone is interested i can head over to the audio shop to try the whole prestige line and music series line. So if anyone wants comparisons i can help
wink.gif

thats one thing miss about not being near atlanta, no real audioshops nearby !
dude, i'd be there all the time !!

Apr 11, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #6,864 of 65,637
I guess living near a metropolis has its advantages. I'm between Baltimore and DC and it's kind of nice....but I could live w/o the traffic!

Apr 11, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #6,865 of 65,637
we've been talking about treble harshness, sensitivity to treble emphasis
regarding the 225, it , to me anyway does not emphasize the treble,
it is just very revealing of what its fed, as someone else pointed out
and isn't that the mark of a good transducer in general, whether it be a speaker,
headphone, ??

Apr 11, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #6,866 of 65,637
Quote:
I guess living near a metropolis has its advantages. I'm between Baltimore and DC and it's kind of nice....but I could live w/o the traffic!

in my trips to the ATL, i learned timing is so very important, avoid rush hour at all cost !!

Apr 11, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #6,867 of 65,637
Hello,

Can someone give some tips for buying a Grado RS1i?

I'm considering buying one second hand but I'm a bit worried about getting scammed because I don't have a lot of experience with any of the Grado headphones.

I really need to know what to watch out for.

Apr 11, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #6,868 of 65,637
Hello,

I'm considering buying one second hand but I'm a bit worried about getting scammed because I don't have a lot of experience with any of the Grado headphones.

In the years I've been buying used gear it's gone quite well. Most owners of quality hi-fi have cared for it, are enthused, and like to talk about it. So the first thing I look for is can they tell me about the unit they have for sale. (If they just post a manufacturer's description, that's pretty useless) So ask specific questions (about blems, etc) and look at pics of the unit for sale. If it's local and you can plug in, so much the better.

Last year when I bought my RS1is, I tried for used, found one (a non i) for $525ish, but never could hook up to audition them. So I gave up and bought new. Grado dealers won't usually discount, but sometimes will throw in other stuff. At full list they gave me a Grado extension cable, Grado mini plug adaptor, and a pretty neat carry bag.

On used hi-fi I'm used to paying near 50% off the new price, but never see Grados that low.

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #6,869 of 65,637
Quote:
we've been talking about treble harshness, sensitivity to treble emphasis
regarding the 225, it , to me anyway does not emphasize the treble,
it is just very revealing of what its fed, as someone else pointed out
and isn't that the mark of a good transducer in general, whether it be a speaker,
headphone, ??

I feel the same about the 325is. That was the first thing I noticed coming from the SR80s - detail like crazy. I don't hear any harshness at all, just crystal clear detail. I have recently added a slight 50hz bass boost to really get the most of the 325is deeper bass response. It may be the slight lack of midbass compared to other phones causes people to push the volume up in general to get the same kick, or maybe its just a matter of different equipment and different ears.

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #6,870 of 65,637
Quote:
Hello,

Also keep in mind that on newer model Grado's (I don't know exactly when this went into effect), the drivers are numbered. So maybe you can call Grado with the model number of the headphones you are interested in to verify that the drivers are RS1i's, and not a different driver in RS cups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back