Grado Fan Club!
Mar 17, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #6,436 of 65,648
It's tricky describing the SR325is as V-shaped, because you guys are right - they really aren't that V-shaped. But when I directly compared the SR325is to the rest of the lineup, it was the most V-shaped, relative to the Grado lineup. I didn't mean to mislead.

It's like saying the SR60i is the least bright headphone in the lineup, with regard to the highs. Well, the SR60i is still a bright headphone, but relative to the Grados, it is ever so slightly less bright.

Also... product variation might play a part here. I always wonder, if I were to do the same comparisons with totally new Prestige Series headphones today, would my comparisons come out completely different? I know there is fairly significant product variation with Grado headphones, so I wouldn't be surprised if my results came out different a second time around. That's generally why I recommend a SR60i or SR80i with L-Cush - it is just a safer choice I think.

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #6,437 of 65,648
Yes, a 60 or 80 is a great choice to test the Grado waters. I like the 80 with the stock S-Cush's, but using the L's sounds interesting.

On a related note, I'm currently looking for a pair of IEM's in the $80-100 range, mostly for Netflix/iPad use and as a travel/iPod set (lossless files). I've been checking out the Grado iGi's, but they get wildly varying reviews as to how good/bad they are... I am curious about them, though. I've narrowed it down to iGi vs Shure SE215 vs Etymotic MC5.

Any experience with the iGi's?

Mar 17, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #6,438 of 65,648
I went straight to 325is after much reading. They are getting better every day and I did not regret. They are a bit heavy to handle beacuse of the metal chambers and more of 8 conductor cable so I use them when I have dedicated listening time... I just dont see myself wanting to go down in line, only up! Well, not so soon anyway, I spent 300€ on them, it's the price in Europe...

Mar 17, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #6,439 of 65,648
Quote:
 That's generally why I recommend a SR60i or SR80i with L-Cush - it is just a safer choice I think.

Just curious--what is your reasoning for putting the L-Cush on them? I've used the L-Cush, and I personally think that it kills the experience because it makes listening so uncomfortable! The L-Cush literally scrunches your ears directly up against the flat, tough caging of the drivers with no padding whatsoever.

Does it provide a cleaner sound than the S-Cush does? Maybe it's just me, but I can't distinguish a difference between the two aside from the far superior level of comfort that the S-Cush offers. I've also used the S-Cush (on my SR60i of course) and they are SO much more pleasing against your ears than that awful plastic caging around the driver that you're exposed to when using the L-Cush. 

Mar 17, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #6,440 of 65,648
Hey guys, 

I recently did some testing of various headphones and found out I'm a Grado guy. I posted a small comparison under the 57 headphone flagships compared that was made by David. I'm a really big fan of the PS500 and haven't heard anything like it. Is there any other headphone out there that sounds like this? Any recommendations of where to buy in Toronto/GTA? Any great comparison tests or reviews you guys recommend I read up on? 

Thanks!!! 

Mar 17, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #6,441 of 65,648
I recently went all in on a used pair of gs 1000s and although I like the overall tonal balance, the highs can be a little rough with certain genres. Any suggestions from the grado community? Amp recommendations? Thanks.

Mar 17, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #6,442 of 65,648
Quote:
Is there any other headphone out there that sounds like this? Any recommendations of where to buy in Toronto/GTA? Any great comparison tests or reviews you guys recommend I read up on? 

I've never heard another can that sounds quite like the PS500s. They're unique in the sense that they provide an unbelievably neutral yet crisp and satisfying sound that very much lives up to the Grado name. As for where to buy them, you can find them on Amazon.com or on Grado's website (www.gradolabs.com) where they provide a list of dealers in your area. Check here to compare all aspects of the PS500 versus almost any other headphone you can think of, including other Grado headphones.

Mar 17, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #6,443 of 65,648
Quote:
Hey guys, 

I recently did some testing of various headphones and found out I'm a Grado guy. I posted a small comparison under the 57 headphone flagships compared that was made by David. I'm a really big fan of the PS500 and haven't heard anything like it. Is there any other headphone out there that sounds like this? Any recommendations of where to buy in Toronto/GTA? Any great comparison tests or reviews you guys recommend I read up on? 

Thanks!!! 

Go to Planet Of Sound on Queen St. E. in downtown T.O.
That's where I go!

Mar 17, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #6,444 of 65,648
Just curious--what is your reasoning for putting the L-Cush on them?
Does it provide a cleaner sound than the S-Cush does?

Bingo. With the comfies the sound becomes somewhat muffled (you lose treble).

Tyll actually compared this and measured it:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/GradoSR225i.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/GradoSR225iComfyPads.pdf

Notice the fairly substantial drop-off on the top-end. :xf_eek:

Personally I don't find the bowls uncomfortable at all (and I only say this because I feel the stereotype that Grado headphones are so horribly uncomfortable that nobody could ever manage to wear them is kind of overblown). That having been said, I think comfies are a fine compromise vs more drastic modifications that will more substantially change the sound (or cost a lot of money, or both).

Mar 17, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #6,446 of 65,648
I never liked the sound or comfort of the comfies.
Bowls fit me fine and are more comfortable on my head.
If bowls are uncomfortable I'd recommend the TTVJ flats.
If those are too pricey then the 414 pads.
I use flats on my vintage Grado.

Mar 17, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #6,447 of 65,648
Quote:

I've never heard another can that sounds quite like the PS500s. They're unique in the sense that they provide an unbelievably neutral yet crisp and satisfying sound that very much lives up to the Grado name. As for where to buy them, you can find them on Amazon.com or on Grado's website (www.gradolabs.com) where they provide a list of dealers in your area. Check here to compare all aspects of the PS500 versus almost any other headphone you can think of, including other Grado headphones.

Thanks, that's a great resource! 

Quote:
Go to Planet Of Sound on Queen St. E. in downtown T.O.
That's where I go!

How are they on discounts? Maybe you can PM me with which salesperson to speak to? 

Mar 17, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #6,448 of 65,648
Quote:

Just curious--what is your reasoning for putting the L-Cush on them? I've used the L-Cush, and I personally think that it kills the experience because it makes listening so uncomfortable! The L-Cush literally scrunches your ears directly up against the flat, tough caging of the drivers with no padding whatsoever.

Does it provide a cleaner sound than the S-Cush does? Maybe it's just me, but I can't distinguish a difference between the two aside from the far superior level of comfort that the S-Cush offers. I've also used the S-Cush (on my SR60i of course) and they are SO much more pleasing against your ears than that awful plastic caging around the driver that you're exposed to when using the L-Cush. 

The key to comfort with L-Cush pads is bending the headband to relieve clamping force. I have a larger head, and so I bent my headband quite a bit so that the earpads rest very gently on my ears, and comfort is never an issue! But when I first started out with Grado, I had comfort-trouble with L-Cush until I bent the headband apart - rather aggressively so (for my large head).

Sound quality increases significantly to my ears. Soundstage is far more defined and focused. Bass, likewise, gains definition. Overall more clarity to the sound. Honestly, the biggest factor in sound improvement from the lower models to the SR225i and SR325is is the difference in stock pads. Put some L-Cush on the lower models and they sound dangerously close to the higher models.

Mar 17, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #6,449 of 65,648
Quote:
Thinking of getting Grados, opinions on sr80i model?

I think it is an awesome set of headphones, especially if it is your first Grado.....you can then decide if you like the sound signature without breaking the bank...if you live in the U.S. a new pair will only set you back $99

Many say that it is the best bang for the buck of any headphone.

Mar 17, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #6,450 of 65,648
Quote:
I think it is an awesome set of headphones, especially if it is your first Grado.....you can then decide if you like the sound signature without breaking the bank...if you live in the U.S. a new pair will only set you back $99

Many say that it is the best bang for the buck of any headphone.

I'd agree! Pick up L-Cush pads and be done until the RS1i!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back