Grado Fan Club!
Mar 10, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #6,376 of 65,629
Try not to actually bend them! Try pulling them apart at the same time (evenly) by grabbing the headband right above the rod blocks and pulling apart a little at a time, so they form into a (U) shape.
I also mentioned in another thread, you can purchase (shaft collars) + (O-rings) to keep the height adjustment of the drivers by sliding the (O-rings) onto the tops of the rods, then sliding the (shaft collars) onto the rods and locking them with the set screw. I use the (O-ring) to protect the plastic rod blocks from the metal (shaft collars).
This works out very well.

Mar 10, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #6,377 of 65,629
If you don't want to bother with metal shaft collars, which do add weight and require a tool to adjust, little zip ties work just as well and you don't have to remove the rod tips to install!

Mar 10, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #6,378 of 65,629
Can't find a straight answer do I'll ask here.

I'm in the market for a desktop amp/dac combo. I've narrowed it down to the Hifiman EF2a or the Schiit Magni/Modi combo. From my research it looks like they both are great fit for Grados but I have not found a definitive answer on which is best. Any help you can provide would be great. Thx!

Mar 10, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #6,380 of 65,629
Quote:
I'm going for either the RS1i or the PS1000  -  What are the pro and cons or differences for both - sound quality related?

I'd strongly recommend you give them a listen first. I have always preferred the RS1i over the PS1000s. 

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #6,383 of 65,629
Quote:
I'm going for either the RS1i or the PS1000  -  What are the pro and cons or differences for both - sound quality related?

In my opinion, the only area that the RS1i can keep up with the PS1000, is the mids, as good as the RS1i are, the PS1000 are even better.

Your mileage may vary tough.

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #6,384 of 65,629
I'm enjoying my vintage B RS1s more as time passes, I'm learning to hear all the finer details and separation after using them for a while, I think I've fully burned into them. I loved them from the first minute I used them and its only getting better and better. Rad.

Mar 11, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #6,385 of 65,629
Time to stop lurking.
Grado RS1i as a Christmas present pretty much was the thing that got me into all this. The wooden cans that came in that cheap-looking cardboard box sounded so astounding yet it made me feel so bad that I'm just plugging them straight to the computer. I still listen to music mostly through the computer, though thanks to the RS1i I now have a DAC, headphone amp and a preamp in-between the speakers and the computer. I don't think dad ever thought the awesome present would turn to be so costly for me.
smily_headphones1.gif
I have some choice for other headphones now too, though the RS1i's are still by far my favourite ones for everything except movies and such.

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #6,386 of 65,629
loved my rs325 till the headband detached. After months of just reinserting the headband into the plastic pieces on each side, the plastic pieces wore out to the point where the headphones were no longer wearable. 

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #6,387 of 65,629
Same thing happened to me. I was able to fix the problem and it is still solid.

Very easy to to fix. Use Gorilla Glue. Follow the instructions and it works.

It will bond the metal and the plastic. As it cures it expands I have used it with great success.

This is the stuff:
http://www.gorillatough.com/

Good luck

Mar 11, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #6,388 of 65,629
Quote:
The PS1000's are lighter than my HiFiMan HE500's, but don't clamp as tightly so movement is not  recommended. They are very comfortable, though!

How do you like your HE500s?  I've got 225i and I'm debating the HE500 or stepping up to the SR 1i.

Mar 11, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #6,389 of 65,629
Quote:
How do you like your HE500s?  I've got 225i and I'm debating the HE500 or stepping up to the SR 1i.

HE500 is a vastly different sounding headphone from Grados. I personally liked the HE500, but I didn't love it. The HE500 is an ultra-smooth sounding headphone with an overall very neutral sound. The mids lack bite and energy, very unlike Grado mids. I prefer Grado mids, but then again I listen to more aggressive music than relaxing music - the HE500's ultra smoothness seems to rob aggressive music of its aggression. Thus were my impressions. Hence why I don't own the HE500.

RS1i sounds very much like the SR225i, just better in virtually all respects - but not a grand leap forward in quality either.

So I'd say if you want a smooth sound, grab the HE-500. If you want a fun, aggressive sound, grab the RS1i.

Edit: Oh haha, hey Mark. Didn't even notice that was you. Well that was essentially a rehash of what we've already talked about.

Btw, do you have your Asgard 2 yet? How do you like it?

Mar 11, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #6,390 of 65,629
Quote:
HE500 is a vastly different sounding headphone from Grados. I personally liked the HE500, but I didn't love it. The HE500 is an ultra-smooth sounding headphone with an overall very neutral sound. The mids lack bite and energy, very unlike Grado mids. I prefer Grado mids, but then again I listen to more aggressive music than relaxing music - the HE500's ultra smoothness seems to rob aggressive music of its aggression. Thus were my impressions. Hence why I don't own the HE500.

RS1i sounds very much like the SR225i, just better in virtually all respects - but not a grand leap forward in quality either.

So I'd say if you want a smooth sound, grab the HE-500. If you want a fun, aggressive sound, grab the RS1i.

Edit: Oh haha, hey Mark. Didn't even notice that was you. Well that was essentially a rehash of what we've already talked about.

Btw, do you have your Asgard 2 yet? How do you like it?

That's my bad actually-I didn't connect it was you either! Still waiting. Suppose to ship 3/18...

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back