Grado Fan Club!
Jan 1, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #5,957 of 65,710
Jan 1, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #5,958 of 65,710
You all are awesome!!! Thanks so much for the advice it's really appreciated. On that topic, anyone have a recommendation for a good strap cushion to replace the stock GRADO plastic one?

As people have been saying - the Beyer snap-on headband is a popular option, and it'll add some padding to the headphones.

For a quick fix the Beyer headband works great.  You can also get some custom ones made for Grados from what I have read.

Couple of old pics but they are still going strong.  I believe they sell them on Amazon now but the Beyer part # is 340.502

Cheers!!!

Happy new years to you as well! And glad to see you here! :)

Isn't vinyl plastic???

Ehhh, "plastic" is very broad. The factory headband on the entry and mid-range Grados are vinyl, and the various headband options you'll find will be vinyl, some sort of pleather, actual leather, etc - but all are fine options. Nothing here is the same idea as say, the HDPE you'd find on a Nalgene bottle.

Jan 2, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #5,959 of 65,710
Does that headband prevent the headphones from falling off your head? I'm tired of having them come off when I'm listening to music and I bend down to get something.

I was considering returning my new Grado SR60i's because of comfort, but I went to a high end audio store today and tried on a few different things, and I'm definitely keeping the Grados. I tried on the AKG K240 and those were worse than the Grados despite being more expensive. I'm not into the whole "laid back" thing. The ATH M50 were slightly better than my Grados but not worth the price. I tried on some Beyers and they just sounded bland. So you can officially count me as a Grado fan.

Jan 2, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #5,961 of 65,710
Does that headband prevent the headphones from falling off your head? I'm tired of having them come off when I'm listening to music and I bend down to get something.

I was considering returning my new Grado SR60i's because of comfort, but I went to a high end audio store today and tried on a few different things, and I'm definitely keeping the Grados. I tried on the AKG K240 and those were worse than the Grados despite being more expensive. I'm not into the whole "laid back" thing. The ATH M50 were slightly better than my Grados but not worth the price. I tried on some Beyers and they just sounded bland. So you can officially count me as a Grado fan.

I've never had a pair of Grados that "stay put" - they're very much a "sitting in a chair and listening to music" pair of headphones imo. I think while the Beyer headband would grip your noggin better, the cups/pads still don't grip very tight, so you still have to contend with that. I know you could bend them to be clampier, but it would be less comfortable as well. Maybe with larger pads but that would change the sound. :xf_eek:

And welcome to the club.

Jan 2, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #5,962 of 65,710
The Manta headband is very nice. The other popular option is the snap on Beyer padded headband, which I believe is vinyl not plastic. http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/kopfpolster.html

I have tried both the Beyer and the Manta headband on my PS1000, these two products don't play in the same league.

First, the Beyer doesn't really fit on the original headband, then it is quite large and not so comfortable.
My advice would be to go with the Manta, it is not so difficult to install, very comfortable : not too large, and padded enough for long listening sessions... :)

Jan 2, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #5,963 of 65,710
Oh, another thought - I remember J$ posting in OT a while ago that they were going out of business, but that they were selling all of their remaining inventory (which included Grado headbands) as a charity donation thing - no idea if their headbands are a good buy or not, but it just came to mind while mulling this over.

Jan 2, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #5,964 of 65,710
Here's the topic where JMoney's owner announces it : http://www.head-fi.org/t/638706/the-end-of-jmoney-audio-and-christmas-giveaway
Apparently he had grado headbands, PM him if you are looking for one.

Jan 2, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #5,965 of 65,710
I agree 100% that the Manta beats the Beyer on all counts. I was just presenting it as the other option. I put the Manta on my 225is and it transformed them to a luxury item. When I sold the 225i I swapped the headband/gimbals to my MCA rosewood and continue to use them with much pleasure.

Jan 2, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #5,966 of 65,710
Quote:
Happy new years to you as well! And glad to see you here!
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers obob...
beerchug.gif

I try and follow this thread but usually lots of talk of the PS500 and that is one phone I really want to try, but must definitely refrain...lol.....This thread is a wealth of information....

Jan 3, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #5,970 of 65,710
I have early black pink driver 325, original small body MS2 and MCA rosewood 225i with nucleotide cable, but still enjoy my modded sr60 (unbuttoned with Mogami recable) often, but only with bowls. They hold there own for sure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back