Grado Fan Club!
Oct 31, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #5,326 of 65,633
I like the SR325is , it just need a little more uplifting bass. The RS1i sound signature is picky on the Genre of music.  I find it perfect for male vocals like Tonny Bennet or female voices like Toni Braxton,  for Taylor Swift (not a fan),  OM..........
frown.gif

If Grado can put the 325is mids/high and combined it with PS500s bass... That is my ideal sound signature...  So far the PS500s comes close to what I prefer.

Oct 31, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #5,327 of 65,633
Quote:

If there is a thread that proves that we all hear differently, this has got to be the one. I keep seeing people talk about how powerful the bass is on the 500s, but for some reason it just doesn't sound that way to me. We can all listen to the same headphone and describe it quite a few different ways. It's tempting to just chalk it up to the fact that I'm some sort of weirdo who doesn't find Grados uncomfortable and finds the PS500s pretty well balanced in their presentation (in spite of the FR), but I try to just imagine we're all a little weird in our own special way.

weird? noo.... we are unique,heh?
cool.gif

+1 for comfort.... for me grado is quite comfortable, i can wear it all day long in weekend...
gs1000.gif

Oct 31, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #5,328 of 65,633
Quote:

If there is a thread that proves that we all hear differently, this has got to be the one. I keep seeing people talk about how powerful the bass is on the 500s, but for some reason it just doesn't sound that way to me. We can all listen to the same headphone and describe it quite a few different ways. It's tempting to just chalk it up to the fact that I'm some sort of weirdo who doesn't find Grados uncomfortable and finds the PS500s pretty well balanced in their presentation (in spite of the FR), but I try to just imagine we're all a little weird in our own special way.

It took me half hour to demo the RS1i, RS2i , PS500s - A/B compared the mids for 10minutes, highs for 10 minutes and lows for another 10 minutes (each freq separately) using the same amp and the same Sade song.  And I find the PS500s has more bass thump...   PS500is > RS1i > RS2i ...     

When I hear piercing sound on the RS1i, I mean literally sticking my ear and getting that sharp pain. It does not happen right away, it takes maybe 15-30 minutes of listening.   I did not get that pain on the brighter SR325is...  

I will be loading some pictures of the RS1i that I took the night before I return it.

Oct 31, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #5,329 of 65,633
Quote:
Quote:

It took me half hour to demo the RS1i, RS2i , PS500s - A/B compared the mids for 10minutes, highs for 10 minutes and lows for another 10 minutes (each freq separately) using the same amp and the same Sade song.  And I find the PS500s has more bass thump...   PS500is > RS1i > RS2i ...     

When I hear piercing sound on the RS1i, I mean literally sticking my ear and getting that sharp pain. It does not happen right away, it takes maybe 15-30 minutes of listening.   I did not get that pain on the brighter SR325is...  

I will be loading some pictures of the RS1i that I took the night before I return it.

1. I need to check out that store, as I grew up all of a mile away.
2. Have you had a chance to hear some Magnums? They'd be right up your alley.

Oct 31, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #5,330 of 65,633
Quote:
Am I correct in thinking that the Allesandro lowest model is basically an SR60 with one or more holes punched? Is there really any other difference?

Nope - MS1i has no holes punched.  I also disagree with the way Biscuitz describes the MS1i vs SR60i.  To me the MS1i has slightly toned down highs, which allows more focus on the mid-range (so it seems more forward).  Bass is about the same - MS1i might be slightly more - but it's not prominent, and it's definitely not 'muddy'.

Oct 31, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #5,331 of 65,633
Quote:
Quote:
Am I correct in thinking that the Allesandro lowest model is basically an SR60 with one or more holes punched? Is there really any other difference?

Nope - MS1i has no holes punched.  I also disagree with the way Biscuitz describes the MS1i vs SR60i.  To me the MS1i has slightly toned down highs, which allows more focus on the mid-range (so it seems more forward).  Bass is about the same - MS1i might be slightly more - but it's not prominent, and it's definitely not 'muddy'.

I guess maybe they dope them differently, because I have heard that all of the drivers are constructed mostly the same, and doped differently.

Oct 31, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #5,333 of 65,633
Quote:
I like the SR325is , it just need a little more uplifting bass. The RS1i sound signature is picky on the Genre of music.  I find it perfect for male vocals like Tonny Bennet or female voices like Toni Braxton,  for Taylor Swift (not a fan),  OM..........
frown.gif

If Grado can put the 325is mids/high and combined it with PS500s bass... That is my ideal sound signature...  So far the PS500s comes close to what I prefer.

If you were willing to take a chance with your 325is - I'd recommend full woody jacket, and venting two holes each driver.  For me it increased bass slam without making it muddy, and the woody jacket made them more comfortable (lighter), and slightly softened the highs and brought the mid-range forward.  Not sure if this due to slightly less ringing going from aluminium to wood?  Differences are subtle - still retains the 325i bright and dynamic signature - but the added bass slam makes it more enjoyable IMO.

BTW - thanks for all of the comments/discussion.  I'll have to try the RS1i and the PS500 (hopefully on my next trip to the US in Feb 2013) - but I'm feeling more and more that my current choice (fwj 325i) is what I'll stick with long term.

Oct 31, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #5,334 of 65,633
Quote:

So do you find the bass to have more of a thump in comparison to the other Grados, or in general? Maybe that's why it sounds weird to me when people talk about the bass on the PS500. I definitely hear the emphasis on the mid-bass, which I like, but I'm surprised that some people find it excessive. That's the part I'm trying to reconcile with my own experience, cause I have other headphones that have more bass impact than the 500s. I just find it interesting to read the different opinions and experiences.

And pics are good! :)

Oct 31, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #5,335 of 65,633
So do you find the bass to have more of a thump in comparison to the other Grados, or in general? Maybe that's why it sounds weird to me when people talk about the bass on the PS500. I definitely hear the emphasis on the mid-bass, which I like, but I'm surprised that some people find it excessive. That's the part I'm trying to reconcile with my own experience, cause I have other headphones that have more bass impact than the 500s. I just find it interesting to read the different opinions and experiences.

And pics are good! :)

Thanks! I forgot to mention that I was just comparing the PS500s to all Grados from RS1i and below. BTW, i picked up a flat pads from SR80 and seems very comfortable on and around the ears. Do I need to cut a hole in there or leave it like the SR80 flat pad?

Oct 31, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #5,336 of 65,633
Quote:

The differences between Grado and MS headphones is traeted as a trade secret and no one knows what, if anything, is done to the drivers outside of Grado and MS.
We can only speculate.  Grado will tell you they are different, just not how or why.
The drivers in the MS1, are said touse the UHPC wire in the voice coils. The cheapest Grado model that uses UHPC wire in the voice coils is the 125i, so some speculate that the MS1 is based on the 125i, but the only evidence is the wire used in the voice coils.
The other difference is that the MS1 has no buttons which may or may not affect the sound.

Oct 31, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #5,337 of 65,633
Quote:

I think you'll agree Focker that you and i often see things the same way,i like you're moderate and objective comments,and i find inspiring the fact that you like you're PS500s so much,and i'm not surprised that you like them better than the more expensive GS1000i,at this price point especially,we start talking about sidegrade,instead of upgrade.

For the others who might not be familiar with my the way i see things,here i go bambling on again,like Focker mentions,we all hear differently,(i believe that it's not that peoples can't hear the PS500's midbass emphasis or the SR325i's brightness,they probably do,but that's just the type of sound they prefer,and they're nothing wrong with that),also,we all have different sound systems and musical preferences,the way i see it,it's like we're making a puzzle for wich the headphones are the last piece,like ying and yiang if you will.

That is why,i try to stay objective when i make comment about a pair of headphones,who am i to say the the SR325 are TOO bright,orthat the PS500s have TOO much midbass,now,i think that most will agree that they sound brighter than the PS500,but they
might just fit someone elses puzzle perfectly

As always,take this with a grain of salt as it's just one man's opinion.

Oct 31, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #5,338 of 65,633
Quote:
Quote:

The differences between Grado and MS headphones is traeted as a trade secret and no one knows what, if anything, is done to the drivers outside of Grado and MS.
We can only speculate.  Grado will tell you they are different, just not how or why.
The drivers in the MS1, are said touse the UHPC wire in the voice coils. The cheapest Grado model that uses UHPC wire in the voice coils is the 125i, so some speculate that the MS1 is based on the 125i, but the only evidence is the wire used in the voice coils.
The other difference is that the MS1 has no buttons which may or may not affect the sound.

Interesting. I've read a number of threads about how different they are, and while I've never heard either, I guess I've always wondered why. Same driver, housing, etc should yield the same result, yet people typically find a fairly substantive difference between them. Very curious.

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #5,340 of 65,633
Quote:
frown.gif

Wha? The SR325is's highs? They were the most fatiguing painful headphones (not just Grado) that I've had on my head. YMMV of course, but thinking of the SR325s still has the hairs on the back of my neck stand up at attention. 
tongue.gif
 I owned them for a month and ditched them for the RS1s and never looked back. Sounds like your RS1is had "issues" or needed burn-in?

For those who think the RS1s have too much treble energy, then the PS500s would definitely be the way to go. 

graphCompare.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back