Grado Fan Club!
Oct 16, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #4,996 of 65,854
Quote:
just butting in.

when i first put them on, they are pretty light and comfortable(sr80i)
i suppose thanks to the Comfies.

i dont know what people say about them being uncomfortable. i mean they're comparable to the comfort of Koss Portapros.
the only thing i can say that makes the can a tad bit heavier is the real thick 4 conductor cable.

1. They are discussing the 325is which is heavier than your 80i due to metal cup and big cable.
2. The thick on the 325is is cable is 8 conductors. the smaller cable on your 80i is 4 conductors
3. The pads are different comfies vs bowls

The 80i with comfies can be much more comfy to some than a 325is, especially with the new thick cable.

Oct 16, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #4,997 of 65,854
Do you make anyone feel happy when they see you with Grado headphones?

it seems, living here in Virginia.

it makes some people (ones who do know what Grado Headphones are) feel really happy to have them whisper loudly or to themselves "Grados.."
though in my experience there has been 2 black men that has seen me with Grado Sr80i's and made quite a sight of them.
like we share a common bond in having a good taste in Headphones.

having the such succeeding idea of "Word-Of-Mouth" advertising undoubtedly working so well.

as for the other majority. (mostly classmates in my classes) are either intrigued or just curious when they see the shining "The Prestige Series" and the "Sr80" button.
makes them whisper "the Prestige series?" and actually touch the earcup to get a better view.

and for some other classmates.. they get disappointed turning the earcup thinking its the popular Beats headphones.
which brings my question, Why is it that quite a good amount of people see someone wearing headphones instinctively thought those people were wearing Beats?
Thats happend to me, in school, in the Tram, etc.

Oct 16, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #4,998 of 65,854
People, I Currently own a SR325is. Rest of equipment is X-Fi Titanium HD (burr-brown PCM1724 DAC) and Schiit Asgard. 
I absolutely LOVE my cans, but I am urging for an upgrade. Do you guys think the PS500 would be a real upgrade to the SR325is? I keep reading about it having bigger bass and a smoother overall response, but it keeps seeming like a sidegrade instead of an upgrade. What about the RS2/RS1s? I want new cans, and I want it to be Grado!
I am sort of a basshead, so the bigger bass on the PS500 wouldnt be too much for me (I enjoy the DT990's subwoofer-like bass pretty  much :p )
Thank you in advance.

Oct 16, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #4,999 of 65,854
Quote:
People, I Currently own a SR325is. Rest of equipment is X-Fi Titanium HD (burr-brown PCM1724 DAC) and Schiit Asgard. 
I absolutely LOVE my cans, but I am urging for an upgrade. Do you guys think the PS500 would be a real upgrade to the SR325is? I keep reading about it having bigger bass and a smoother overall response, but it keeps seeming like a sidegrade instead of an upgrade. What about the RS2/RS1s? I want new cans, and I want it to be Grado!
I am sort of a basshead, so the bigger bass on the PS500 wouldnt be too much for me (I enjoy the DT990's subwoofer-like bass pretty  much :p )
Thank you in advance.

I wouldn't say the PS500's have sub-bass.  They have more mid-bass than the 325is and are smoother (duller?) on top.

Oct 16, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #5,000 of 65,854
Quote:

Yummy. Also, what are those cables?

Thanks.  The cable is a home-made one - just canare starquad mini with heatshrink.  It's a little bit stiff, but so much better than the stock Grado (not continually twisting).

Oct 16, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #5,001 of 65,854
I fully agree. The woody Grados are ridiculously light. I was shocked at the RS-1s and now I'm shocked at the GS1ks....I thought my AKG Q701s were light! These things are like air. 

According to headphone.com's specs, the Qs are lighter, but I sure can't tell that they are by lifting them lol. 

The RS1/RS2s are a tad lighter than the Qs, though. 

From Grado and AKG specs, the RS-2 are the lightest Grado headphone made, and probably one of the lightest headphones currently on the market. The RS-1 are a tad heavier, but lighter than most other cans in their performance range. While the GSK spec heavier, they're also designed to distribute the pressure on your head extremely well - a lot like the ESP/950. Which contributes to them feeling very light. There are plenty of "light" headphones that don't do that, and feel like a brick, and plenty of heavy headphones that do this well, and feel like air. The RS-1/2 happen to both distribute the weight well AND weigh very little, so they're very easy to forget about on your head (I haven't gotten up from my chair with the RS-1 on yet, but almost).

Just some picture candy.

We have the same headphone stand, and for a moment I thought you'd snagged one of my pictures, but then I realized I've never owned the SR-80i, and I didn't have that stand when I had the SR-60. :xf_eek:

Protip: don't try painting that stand.

Do you make anyone feel happy when they see you with Grado headphones?

it seems, living here in Virginia.

it makes some people (ones who do know what Grado Headphones are) feel really happy to have them whisper loudly or to themselves "Grados.."
though in my experience there has been 2 black men that has seen me with Grado Sr80i's and made quite a sight of them.
like we share a common bond in having a good taste in Headphones.

having the such succeeding idea of "Word-Of-Mouth" advertising undoubtedly working so well.

as for the other majority. (mostly classmates in my classes) are either intrigued or just curious when they see the shining "The Prestige Series" and the "Sr80" button.
makes them whisper "the Prestige series?" and actually touch the earcup to get a better view.

and for some other classmates.. they get disappointed turning the earcup thinking its the popular Beats headphones.
which brings my question, Why is it that quite a good amount of people see someone wearing headphones instinctively thought those people were wearing Beats?
Thats happend to me, in school, in the Tram, etc.

No idea, I think it's because Beats are so prevalent maybe, that they're beocming a "household name?" Like how people see my Sony PDP, and call it an "iPod" because they don't have a schema for PDPs as a genre, just for "iPod." I know when I used to take my SR-60s out on the town, they got some attention for sure. :D

Thank you in advance.

The RS-1 *are* smoother, but they're certainly not basshead cans. To me they're kind of bassy, but I consider the MDR-F1 fairly neutral/balanced; most people call them extremely thin. I don't like a lot of bass slam.

The best analogy for the RS-1 that I've heard is Gwarmi's - that they're a very good approximation of what a very good pair of bookshelf speakers should sound like. Like something from Sonus Faber or NHT.

Oct 16, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #5,002 of 65,854
Quote:
Thank you in advance.

I loved the 325s, but the 500s were clearly better to my ears. I'm certain the same is true of the RS-1s. I don't think it would be a lateral move at all.

Oct 16, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #5,003 of 65,854
Quote:
While the GSK spec heavier, they're also designed to distribute the pressure on your head extremely well - a lot like the ESP/950. Which contributes to them feeling very light.

They definitely do...I was comparing them to the Qs last night and they honestly do feel a hair lighter...it's really weird.

Oct 16, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #5,004 of 65,854
Quote:
We have the same headphone stand, and for a moment I thought you'd snagged one of my pictures, but then I realized I've never owned the SR-80i, and I didn't have that stand when I had the SR-60.
redface.gif

Protip: don't try painting that stand.

haha, I got mine from Walmart, when i started gaining quite a collection of headphones. I've started thinking i need something to hold them, and i cannot nail the wall or i will ruin it.
And i heard about the use of Banana stands!  they're really cheap but they look great to hang both bananas and headphones on them.

i never thought about painting it before, as i would think ill be doing more damage than making it look good.
besides, Did you try painting the stand?
did it ruin its physical form or just into a drippy mess?

otherwise if it was a drippy mess, then it probably needed some sanding done first.

Oct 16, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #5,005 of 65,854
Quote:
Thank you in advance.

I believe that the SR325is,and the PS500,represent the two extremes in the Grado line,so,if you like bass,you definately won't be dissapointed with the 500,especially if your sound system is on the bright side,it would compensate somewhat for the 500's slightly rolled off highs.

Oct 16, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #5,006 of 65,854
haha, I got mine from Walmart, when i started gaining quite a collection of headphones. I've started thinking i need something to hold them, and i cannot nail the wall or i will ruin it.
And i heard about the use of Banana stands!  they're really cheap but they look great to hang both bananas and headphones on them.

i never thought about painting it before, as i would think ill be doing more damage than making it look good.
besides, Did you try painting the stand?
did it ruin its physical form or just into a drippy mess?

otherwise if it was a drippy mess, then it probably needed some sanding done first.

Yes I tried painting one of them, it was a complete mess, and I just threw the whole thing out. The paint doesn't adhere to the finish (remember, this thing is dishwasher safe - it's "sealed" so it can be sanitized), if you sanded it down you'd ruin the finish and probably ruin the ability to throw it in the dishwasher (or the paint would come off after a few cycles, and ruin the dishwasher). So I just left well enough alone. It was a waste of some spray-paint and the ~$6 for the stand.

Oct 16, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #5,008 of 65,854
So I am thinking of having some fun. I want to buy some Grado's and throw some vibro cups on them along with some of the silver ray cables from headphone lounge (headband too of course). I currently own some 325is and I adore them. What I am not sure about is whether or not I should get 60's 80's or 125's to mod. I have read about various differences in drivers when they are stock, but havent found much in terms of modded woodie sound quality. From what I have read there is not much difference between the 60's and 80's, but would the 120's be worth the investment? I would LIKE to use my G-cushes with these too, but I will settle for the L-cush. Source would be PC (FLAC) Asus STX and Cowon D3. I am toying too with the idea of a DAC/amp combo. Any thoughts? Considering RS1 as well maybe.

Oct 16, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #5,009 of 65,854
I would either get the SR-60 or the SR-225. The SR-80 and SR-125 would be improvements over the 60 (I haven't heard the 125, but reviews indicate this, and it would agree with my general impressions of the Grado line-up), but they aren't *huge* improvements, while the 225 gets you better wiring, driver matching, etc. If you just want the Grado drivers, the SR-60 are a good place to get them. I think the 225 would be the best source for a "high end" modded pair of cans.

Oct 16, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #5,010 of 65,854
Quote:
Thank you in advance.

PS500 is an upgrade to SR325is, and a bit of a sidegrade as well in the sense that the sound signature is a bit different. Reference Series feels like more of a linear upgrade from the SR325is though.

PS500 has big mid-bass. DT990 also has big mid-bass. In fact the two headphones are somewhat similar in sound signature, except PS500 has better highs and is just far more enjoyable to listen to. All that said, I think the PS500's mid-bass is too accentuated and sounds unbalanced to me, which I found distracting and is why I don't own them. It's also the same reason I didn't keep the DT990's, so keep that in mind. Many love the presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back