Grado Fan Club!
Oct 14, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #4,951 of 65,854
Quote:

I hope you'll like the GS1k's as much as do your PS500s,but i wouldn't be surprised if you still end up prefering your PS500,i find that they have this hability to let us forget about them,and just get lost in the music,something my first gen GS1k's could never do as well as the 500's.

It wouldn't surprise me either...Im really interested to see how the GS1ks scale tomorrow when I clean up the source and let them show their stuff. It's a small negative for me that I can't expect ALMOST their best sound with just a Kindle or iPod, like I can with the 500s...but at the same time I like that there may be a higher ceiling on them in terms of their potential....so tomorrow I'll see how it pans out. I'm going to keep them regardless, but whether they overtake the 500s will be interesting. 

Oct 14, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #4,952 of 65,854
Quote:
I have a Little Dot I+ on the way to get a small taste of tubes (hybrid). I can't wait to see how it is!
P.S. I LOVE my PS500. Very much.

That amp is a great pairing with the PS500s...after you have some time to play around with it, consider upgrading the tubes that come stock in the LD. Don't need to break the bank, but spending $50-100 on better tubes will make a difference. 

Oct 14, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #4,953 of 65,854
That amp is a great pairing with the PS500s...after you have some time to play around with it, consider upgrading the tubes that come stock in the LD. Don't need to break the bank, but spending $50-100 on better tubes will make a difference. 

Which tubes do you like best in it so far?

Oct 14, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #4,954 of 65,854
Quote:
Which tubes do you like best in it so far?

I trusted my tube guy, who has re-tubed hundreds of LD amps...he suggested I go with the AEG/Telefunkens, so I took his advice. Sounds great! :)

Oct 14, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #4,955 of 65,854
Quote:
I see, I have no doubts now, I will buy myself a Grado PS500 as a Christmas present to myself.
biggrin.gif
I really love grado's sound signature, however, It is the most uncomfortable headphone I've ever put on my ears. Is there a way to increase the comfort of the headphone, without affecting the sound quality? like extra padding or something? I've seen in amazon a headband upgrade ( that has more cushion), but besides that, is there a way to make my future PS500 more comfortable??????????

http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Leatherette-Universal-Sennheiser-Beyerdynamic/dp/B00862522A/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1350178734&sr=8-13&keywords=grado+ps500

Totally agreed about comfort (own the 325is)
First thing I've done was put on a Beyer DT770 Headband, huge improvement as there's no more heavy pressure on top of the head
As for the pads, tried the Sehh HD414 mod, small gain on comfort but decrease in SQ
I got a washing advice, but I'm too lazy, so I've ordered a pair of G cush, will see how it's like

Oct 14, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #4,956 of 65,854
Quote:
Totally agreed about comfort (own the 325is)
First thing I've done was put on a Beyer DT770 Headband, huge improvement as there's no more heavy pressure on top of the head
As for the pads, tried the Sehh HD414 mod, small gain on comfort but decrease in SQ
I got a washing advice, but I'm too lazy, so I've ordered a pair of G cush, will see how it's like

I bought the same headband!! nice to know it´s effective, and I was looking at the G cush, but DAMN $45 for that? that´s one expensive piece of foam! 

Oct 14, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #4,957 of 65,854
Quote:
I bought the same headband!! nice to know it´s effective, and I was looking at the G cush, but DAMN $45 for that? that´s one expensive piece of foam! 

Well it's indeed a steal, but don't complain too much, here in France it costs me 60 Euros which is more or less $78 
eek.gif

No other way to try, if I don't like them I've got 7 days to send them back ...

Oct 14, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #4,958 of 65,854
New member here. I was just directed to this thread due to a post on another thread about what was on my head at the moment. I have some SR60 that I have had for a while and have done some light mods to. I tinkered around with them without even looking at the internet so It's kind of interesting to start researching what others have done to their Grados. I just naturally mess around with most everything I own trying to customize or mod for better performance, comfort, looks, or whatever. I just joined this forum so I'm not sure if I can post pics yet. I can't even figure out how to change my avatar on here? 

Oct 14, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #4,960 of 65,854
The X-Can V2 and V3s are also very good sound and as they are used, great value.  I picked up a V3 for peanuts and, upgraded the caps, rolled in new tubes and added a power supply.  Sounds amazing for a fraction of buying new.  My RS-2s and 325s sound great on this amp.

Oct 14, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #4,961 of 65,854
Quote:

Here's my experience with G-Cush. It is very comfortable! But, it changes the sound of your Grados fairly dramatically. In a negative way. Granted, it doesn't make the Grados un-listenable, but it just doesn't sound as good as L-Cush does.

Oct 14, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #4,962 of 65,854
Quote:

The first Grados i have heard were the RS1's,on a Rega Apollo CD player,through an MG Head amp,at the time i owned the Senns HD-600,and i remember thinking,''Oh crap! i bought the wrong headphones'',the difference in the amount of details the RS1's were putting out compared to the HD-600 was not subtle,i mean,my jaw just dropped.

By the way Focker,i love my PS1000 as much as you love your PS500,it's a good feeling when you appreciate what you have.

Quote:

The amount of detail on these Grados is addicting...I have other headphones that are very detailed, such as the T1s and the AKG Q701s, but it's just not the same. Grados present the detail in this airy, ethereal way that just speaks to me. I always enjoy hearing about others who appreciate that aspect of them, as well. 

yep, it's good to hear I'm not alone here, although I use a mere FiiO with mp3 files, it floats my boat in a way that I don't feel that need of taking it to a higher level. Anyway... I've been holding myself back, there is this store that sells some refurbished audio equipments right around the corner......

Oct 14, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #4,964 of 65,854
Quote:
Here's my experience with G-Cush. It is very comfortable! But, it changes the sound of your Grados fairly dramatically. In a negative way. Granted, it doesn't make the Grados un-listenable, but it just doesn't sound as good as L-Cush does.

why......WHYYYYY!!!! I tried the cloth softening technique, but its the same.... well at least my cushions smell like lavender :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back