Grado Fan Club!
Oct 4, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #4,744 of 65,633
Quote:

I agree. And David, the owner of LD, is truly a class act. Fantastic customer service and his products are built like tanks. I upgraded the tubes in my I+ and the thing sounds great with the Grados. I try to buy mostly American, German, and Canadian, but I'd have no problem sending David more money in the future. Very good buying experience. 

this. the tube warmness added to the grado sound is heartwarming 

Oct 4, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #4,745 of 65,633
Quote:
this. the tube warmness added to the grado sound is heartwarming 

My RS1i will be w/ me in a day or two. I'm gonna drive it w/ a V200 amp, which is know to be slightly warm, great match to my HD800. I wonder if anyone is using it together w/ RS1i, and how do they match?

Oct 5, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #4,747 of 65,633
Hey all, new to the Grado Fan Club here. Don't own a pair yet, but I'm banking on getting a pair of the 225i's very soon. But my question is this: does anyone know of a website or a place where I can bargain for prices? For example, I'm looking to get three pairs of the 60i's for Christmas presents and was hoping I could find a deal where I could get all three for around 200-225. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Oct 5, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #4,749 of 65,633
Quote:
Grado pretty heavily enforces it's MSRP - you could try buying them used, but authorized retailers generally won't drop their prices. That said, we're talking about $10-$15 here. C'mon...

The best deal you can likely make will be free shipping and no sales tax.

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #4,751 of 65,633
I guess you can try emilling a few places and trying ur luck ? Worth a shot ?

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #4,752 of 65,633
Quote:
Hey all, new to the Grado Fan Club here. Don't own a pair yet, but I'm banking on getting a pair of the 225i's very soon. But my question is this: does anyone know of a website or a place where I can bargain for prices? For example, I'm looking to get three pairs of the 60i's for Christmas presents and was hoping I could find a deal where I could get all three for around 200-225. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Try these folks http://audiosystems.com/

Tell 'em Travis sent you.  Maybe they will help you.

Oct 5, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #4,753 of 65,633
Quote:

Have you heard any Grados yet? In what capacity? Brief auditions in-store?

This might not be good to say in the Grado Fan Club thread, but I think you might be better off just buying the SR60i or SR80i for yourself, and pair them with a pair of L-Cush pads. The SR225i, to my ears, is a very minimal upgrade in SQ and sounds nearly the same.

To give you my point of view, I owned the SR225i for half a year and actually ended up trying a pair of SR60i for the fun of it, and found....that I liked the SR60i (with L-Cush!) better. I even liked the sound more than the SR325i, which I upgraded to after owning the SR225i! I only had the SR325i for a month and then tried the SR60i. I'm now in the process of selling my SR325i.

Now I am probably in a small minority on this front; perhaps I'm the only one who holds this opinion. But the lesson I learned was this: Don't let higher prices fool you into thinking those headphones sound better. The upper Prestige models are technically superior, but I found the SR60i (with L-Cush!) to sound better balanced than both those upper pairs.

The SR60i / SR80i are the only worthy buys in the Prestige Series imo. If you're going to go up the Grado ladder, step right up to the RS2i or PS500. Only then will you notice a quality upgrade, imho.

If you do end up buying three pairs of SR60i for Christmas presents, what a treat for those recipients! I would recommend grabbing L-Cush pads for those, as in my opinion, the L-Cush pads increase the sound quality of the SR60i / SR80i by a subjective 20%. That's a 20% improvement for $20, which to me is a no-brainer. But that can add up with 3 pairs, so I could understand withholding on that front.

Good luck!

Oct 5, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #4,754 of 65,633
The PS500 is waay duller on top than any of the other Grados.

Oct 5, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #4,755 of 65,633
Quote:
To give you my point of view, I owned the SR225i for half a year and actually ended up trying a pair of SR60i for the fun of it, and found....that I liked the SR60i (with L-Cush!) better. I even liked the sound more than the SR325i, which I upgraded to after owning the SR225i! I only had the SR325i for a month and then tried the SR60i. I'm now in the process of selling my SR325i.

I owned all these and just can't agree. IMO the only time the 60s sound better than the 225 would be through a bad source or with low res files. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back