Grado Fan Club!
Oct 3, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #4,726 of 65,911
Huddler screwed me - I didn't get all of the multis. So to the other guy who just got RS-1s - AYE! :beerchug:

Hi all, through some horse trading I just got a pair of RS1i's They are great! I'm a long time Grado fan starting with the 60's in 93 ( I think that was the time) shortly thereafter traded for 125's. wore through 2 sets of pads ( I now listen bare-no pads). I thought that I needed no more til getting these RS1i's.

so here are a few questions, use the 125's to update and mod? or just sell and put the money towards an amp/dac?

Also I have spent a lot of time reading the forum (it's huge!) but out of what I read so far I can't seem to put a finger on whether I need an amp or not. I play the phones out of an ipod touch, ipod classic, the headphone out on a Yamaha RX-797, Advent 300, Sony dvps 7700 ( sounds really good)
Also have an Anthem Pre 2L tube preamp that I haven't tried yet.

So am I missing anything by not getting a dedicated amp?

Does anyone make better pads for these phones? I find the foam flatens right away

Thanks all!! 

No you don't need more up-chain bling. I actually have the original version of that 797 - it's a DAMNED fine amplifier, headphones or speakers. With the RS-1 you have a VERY nice kit. I wouldn't change a thing there.

Pads wise - just the Grado bowls are all I use. I've never "flattened" them instantly - are you using these pretty rough? Mine always seem to last. :confused_face_2:

I agree. My Grados sound very nice out of just an iPhone or Kindle Fire, but even better from my Little Dot amp. I'm a fan of Grados with tubes. 

+1 to this. I've (as sacrilegious as this sounds) tried the GS-1000 straight out of an iPod, and it still sounded like a GS-1000. Kind of killed the whole "lets spend a million dollars on an amplifier" thing for me. :xf_eek:

Oct 3, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #4,728 of 65,911
Quote:
I agree. My Grados sound very nice out of just an iPhone or Kindle Fire, but even better from my Little Dot amp. I'm a fan of Grados with tubes. 

Funny you say that. I was just listening to my grados last night with sansa clip and was melting from the great sound. Because there are low cost options for tubes, I am considering them. Any recommendations that will work well with Q701 and HD650?

Oct 3, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #4,729 of 65,911
Quote:
I think the biggest issue with cutting the G-Cush isn't getting the angle, it's getting the *same* angle on both of them. Consistency is the bigger issue when you're doing stuff free-hand.

Yeah - I decided against modding the G-cush pads. While they are uber cozy, the sonic injection from the stock pads work well for my ears.

Oct 3, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #4,730 of 65,911
Quote:

Funny you say that. I was just listening to my grados last night with sansa clip and was melting from the great sound. Because there are low cost options for tubes, I am considering them. Any recommendations that will work well with Q701 and HD650?

I don't know enough about the 650s, but I'm planning to play around with my LD and the Qs in the next couple of days. I find the idea of pairing them pretty interesting,and I'm pretty fond of the LD with the Telefunken tubes I have in there. The Qs do something weird with the treble (although I know you guys have mentioned they tame with time, which is GOOD lol), so I'm particularly interested in how the LD mates with the highs on the Qs. I know with the Grado 325s, the LD did a fantastic job of smoothing things out for me on top, which is probably at least some of the resaon why I loved those headphones more than some did. 

Oct 3, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #4,731 of 65,911
Quote:
+1 to this. I've (as sacrilegious as this sounds) tried the GS-1000 straight out of an iPod, and it still sounded like a GS-1000. Kind of killed the whole "lets spend a million dollars on an amplifier" thing for me.
redface.gif

I think it was in your excellent RS-1 review where you made the point of how the "easy to drive" aspect of the Grados often goes overlooked, but is a true indication of how great of a design they are, along with the other Grados. I completely agree with that sentiment. The 500s out of a Kindle Fire is a tremendously entertaining experience, and I suspect there are many examples of how Grados can thrive with just about anything. 

Oct 3, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #4,732 of 65,911
Quote:
 I think it was in your excellent RS-1 review where you made the point of how the "easy to drive" aspect of the Grados often goes overlooked, but is a true indication of how great of a design they are, along with the other Grados. I completely agree with that sentiment. The 500s out of a Kindle Fire is a tremendously entertaining experience, and I suspect there are many examples of how Grados can thrive with just about anything. 

+1 on the Kindle Fire with the 500's-I was really impressed the first time I tried that combo! I'm considering the new Fire HD with Dolby Audio when it's released.

Oct 3, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #4,733 of 65,911
Quote:

+1 on the Kindle Fire with the 500's-I was really impressed the first time I tried that combo! I'm considering the new Fire HD with Dolby Audio when it's released.

It was definitely unexpected lol...I couldn't believe the quality of audio I was getting from that pairing....I hadn't heard about the Fire HD...I'll have to keep an eye on that

Oct 4, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #4,735 of 65,911
This is the "gamer" version of the famous HP-1! :p

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GRADO-HP-1-Headphones-HP-1000-HP-1-Microphone-Gamer-Headset-/261108279310?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item3ccb44280e

Oct 4, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #4,737 of 65,911

Unfortunately none I can think of - it's the 650 that sink you. IME they benefit from higher Zsource, and the warmth/bass that comes from that. But most of your OTLs won't like the 701 or Grados. OTC is expensive. And I don't like hybrids by and large. :xf_eek:

The Yamaha RX-770 (now called RX-797) is an example of one that can do all three quite nicely, but if you want a little desktop unit - I'm not sure what to tell you. There are some desktop amps like the FiiO E9 that would be competent enough for all, but I don't consider it perfection for the Sennheisers (they're the only reactive one of the bunch, so they *do* care).

lol. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back