Grado Fan Club!
Sep 27, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #4,696 of 65,912
G-Cush mod... just throwing this out there to see if it's possible. Basically, I'm wondering if the pad can be re-shaped to be angled like other popular ear pads from Denon Dxxx, AKG, Audeze, etc.. I think if i can mold them somehow, the sound will be closer to optimum. If anything, could be a fun tweak just to see how it goes. Thanks for your creative suggestions :)

Sep 27, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #4,700 of 65,912
Sep 27, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #4,701 of 65,912
pads = gateway mod 
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 27, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #4,703 of 65,912
Quote:
G-Cush mod... just throwing this out there to see if it's possible. Basically, I'm wondering if the pad can be re-shaped to be angled like other popular ear pads from Denon Dxxx, AKG, Audeze, etc.. I think if i can mold them somehow, the sound will be closer to optimum. If anything, could be a fun tweak just to see how it goes. Thanks for your creative suggestions :)

I would think they could be, but they aren't cheap so you would certainly have to be willing to risk wasting $50 if you screw them up. Then again, I busted open my 325's, punched holes in the drivers, ripped out the screens and the whole inside of the cups, attached tar like material to the magnets and pried off the buttons, and now I'm debating tearing off the stock cable and replacing that with something new, and that was on a pair of $300 headphones...haha...so really, I guess in the grand scheme of Grado mods, cutting up a pair or two of g-cushes would be cheap...lol

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #4,704 of 65,912
Quote:
I would think they could be, but they aren't cheap so you would certainly have to be willing to risk wasting $50 if you screw them up. Then again, I busted open my 325's, punched holes in the drivers, ripped out the screens and the whole inside of the cups, attached tar like material to the magnets and pried off the buttons, and now I'm debating tearing off the stock cable and replacing that with something new, and that was on a pair of $300 headphones...haha...so really, I guess in the grand scheme of Grado mods, cutting up a pair or two of g-cushes would be cheap...lol

Yeah, those things are not cheap, but we must do this.. all in the name of science!  Oh well.. the stock pads sit pretty well with me, but the G are amazingly comfortable. Still on the fence if I should return them or not. I don't mind having a spare around though.. for science!!

Oct 2, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #4,708 of 65,912
Where is everyone? Just got a pair of RS1's (RS1i) today! Wow they are indeed a special headphone. First impressions: very resolving & great resonance with any acoustic instruments - I don't think i've heard a piano sound better on any headphone (Allen Toussaint "The Bright Mississippi"). I'm a bit surprised at the bass-these really go low (tighter bass than my beloved PS500). They sound great with all three of my amps (one tube 2 solid state). Beautiful to look at, gorgeous deep red mahogany (but they do seem kind of fragile as in I sure would hate to drop them on a hard surface). I see why they call them Grado's masterpiece! Here's to Grado:

beerchug.gif

Oct 2, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #4,709 of 65,912
Quote:
Where is everyone? Just got a pair of RS1's (RS1i) today! Wow they are indeed a special headphone. First impressions: very resolving & great resonance with any acoustic instruments - I don't think i've heard a piano sound better on any headphone (Allen Toussaint "The Bright Mississippi"). I'm a bit surprised at the bass-these really go low (tighter bass than my beloved PS500). They sound great with all three of my amps (one tube 2 solid state). Beautiful to look at, gorgeous deep red mahogany (but they do seem kind of fragile as in I sure would hate to drop them on a hard surface). I see why they call them Grado's masterpiece! Here's to Grado:

beerchug.gif

I love how the RS1s look and feel...can't wait to hear a pair! (I had a pair with a bum driver the first time...)

Oct 2, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #4,710 of 65,912
Well done! Are they new or old?
I am waiting on some black 325s and will post pics as soon as I get 'em hopefully tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back