Grado Fan Club!
Sep 25, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #4,651 of 65,914
Quote:

My bad, brother :)

So here's a question for you and our other fellow Grado-ites...what do you guys think the opinion of the PS1000s would be if they were priced like the GS1000s at $999? Do you think they would have a different reputation? 

I don't think they would have a different reputation,but they'd probably sell more of them.

Sep 25, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #4,652 of 65,914
Quote:
What are some good Amps or DACs for Grados?  I thought I read somewhere that the PA2V2 is a good one?  
I'm still a bit fuzzy on exactly what each does.

Little Dot 1+ with Sylvania GB-408A tubes are a sweet pairing. 

Sep 25, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #4,655 of 65,914
What are some good Amps or DACs for Grados?  I thought I read somewhere that the PA2V2 is a good one?  

Fuzzy on what "what" does? (I don't follow your question).

Regarding good amps - go back a few pages, the question was asked and got some answers. :) The quick answer is that RA1, Maple Tree Ear+, and Melos are the "crowd favorite" choices (Melos being out of business), but that as long as the amplifier can handle low Z (there are some OTL options that you should probably avoid) you have a *massive* array of choices that will work well. Basically it becomes a preference choice - personally I've never found them to "improve" or "degrade" between different amplifiers, but I don't have a lot of experience with tubed equipment and headphones (aside from McIntosh, which I think is massively expensive and overbuilt just to plug your headphones into) - I hear good things though (especially about Woo and Little Dot). But again, check that your tubed amp of choice can actually handle 32R - that probably means a hybrid or OTC.

Sep 25, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #4,657 of 65,914
Quote:
Quote:

Fuzzy on what "what" does? (I don't follow your question).

Regarding good amps - go back a few pages, the question was asked and got some answers.
smily_headphones1.gif
The quick answer is that RA1, Maple Tree Ear+, and Melos are the "crowd favorite" choices (Melos being out of business), but that as long as the amplifier can handle low Z (there are some OTL options that you should probably avoid) you have a *massive* array of choices that will work well. Basically it becomes a preference choice - personally I've never found them to "improve" or "degrade" between different amplifiers, but I don't have a lot of experience with tubed equipment and headphones (aside from McIntosh, which I think is massively expensive and overbuilt just to plug your headphones into) - I hear good things though (especially about Woo and Little Dot). But again, check that your tubed amp of choice can actually handle 32R - that probably means a hybrid or OTC.

+ a lot.

This is sane advice.  Grados sound excellent out of just about everything.

I think I overkilled with the Peachtree Nova and then beat it to death with the Woo WA6.

I love them both but, honestly, they (the Grados) sound very good without a lot of money.

You see, Grados don't cooperate with the high end mind set.  If you are inclined to pick many, many nits, then, you can find that perfect combination by spending a ridiculous amount of money.  But honestly, we all need to step back a bit and enjoy the music.  Special amps and maybe even special dacs aren't that necessary.

But, go ahead, knock yourself out.

Sep 25, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #4,658 of 65,914
I have a Grado SR325is, I really like the sound signature, however, the comfort is very lame... My ears start to hurt after an hour of use. Could anyone in here could recommend me new ear pads or something to make my 325 more comfortable????

Sep 25, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #4,660 of 65,914
Quote:
I do like the combo of the MapleTree Ear+ HD and the GS1000is or RS2s.  I source from either the Cowon J3 or the CD player.  It can always bring me to my happy place.

I've heard that the MAD gear has fantastic synergy with the Grados...nice to see another account of this! I'm a big fan of Dr.P at Mapletree. 

Sep 25, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #4,661 of 65,914
Quote:
I have a Grado SR325is, I really like the sound signature, however, the comfort is very lame... My ears start to hurt after an hour of use. Could anyone in here could recommend me new ear pads or something to make my 325 more comfortable????

Shack hack mod. worked wonders on my RS1i

Sep 25, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #4,662 of 65,914
Quote:

I've heard that the MAD gear has fantastic synergy with the Grados...nice to see another account of this! I'm a big fan of Dr.P at Mapletree. 

It is the best amp I've heard with the RS1/RS1i by a good margin. Simply magical! I do miss that combination.

Sep 25, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #4,664 of 65,914

Users who are viewing this thread

Back