Grado Fan Club!
Sep 5, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #4,411 of 65,633
Quote:
I'm going to pick up one of those Sony headbands. Looks awesome, thanks for posting this up. This seems to be a common combo in the Grado mods world these days. :)

I find the Sony headband a little bit more comfortable than the stock Grado headband. The padding is a little bit thicker as well. It also doesn't have the annoying 360 degree rotate feature. 

Hope the headband works out for you. I believe that wje said somewhere that you can remove the "Studio Monitor" ink on the headband with something. I might try that sometime in the future.

Sep 5, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #4,414 of 65,633
I have had a pair of SR80i phones for about 18 months now, and really like the lively sound.  I have tampered a little by swapping the cushions for the doughnut type, and removing the white dust cover material.  I have also just bought a Black Manta headband from headphonelounge.com

I had to swap back to the original cups, as listening connected to my Xonar STX sound card, with uprated op-amps sounded too bright and resulted in unwanted sibilance.

I am contemplating either upgrading headphones, or buying a second set, and keeping the SR80i for my iPod or mobile listening.

I tried a pair of Bose QuietComfort 15 headphones whilst out shopping the other day, and really disliked the almost artiificial sound the reproduced.  The sound was almost as if "Bass Boost" had been switched on - and really put me off buying them.

I am tempted to stick with Grado and get a pair of SR225i phones - or swap the cups over for some mahogany ones.

I know I really need to test the phones first - but does anyone have any info on how much better a set of SR80is can sound with the mahogany cups - or if it is worth upgrading to some 225s first, and then consider the cups later down the road?

Or try another brand, but I do really like the Grado sound!

Sep 5, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #4,416 of 65,633
Sep 5, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #4,418 of 65,633
No problem.  I don't think he does the full builds anymore - but a nice "diy" option would be to simply start with a second hand SR60/SR80 (pretty much just for the frame), add the FWJ wooden cups and a better headband from headphone lounge, Rhydon's magnum drivers, your choice of cabling (I just use a diy mogami mini starquad), and then whatever pads you want to play around with.

If I wasn't so happy with my current set-up, I think I'd definitely be looking along similar lines ....

Sep 6, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #4,419 of 65,633

I just received my first Grado

a pair of PS500 with cryo copper cable    
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back