Grado Fan Club!
Jul 21, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #3,781 of 65,621
Quote:

The only thing I'm really curious about now is PS500s + jumbos.  Will get to try them eventually.

Interested in what you will find ~ however this 'myth' still prevails - a PS500 + bowls will equal
 a PS1000, it does not actually work in reality for most ears. We all want the best 'bang for our buck'
 but this remains one discussion of disillusionment that deserves scrutiny - do you really think that
 regardless of different drivers and chamber design - the only difference is the pads?

This proposition is no different from someone attempting to turn an RS1i into a GS1000i
 via an L-cush to G-cush pad change ~ they realise one thing instantly upon auditioning.

'Don't believe the hype'  
smile.gif

Jul 21, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #3,782 of 65,621
 Interested in what you will find ~ however this 'myth' still prevails - a PS500 + bowls will equal
 a PS1000, it does not actually work in reality for most ears. We all want the best 'bang for our buck'
 but this remains one discussion of disillusionment that deserves scrutiny - do you really think that
 regardless of different drivers and chamber design - the only difference is the pads?

This proposition is no different from someone attempting to turn an RS1i into a GS1000i
 via an L-cush to G-cush pad change ~ they realise one thing instantly upon auditioning.

'Don't believe the hype'  :smile:

+1.

That said, I don't know why you'd want to change the RS-1 into anything else. :)

Jul 21, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #3,783 of 65,621
You guys are making the assumption that I'm looking for a budget PS1000. Actually if I could have the current sound of my woodied 325 + the comfort of the jumbos (and any extra sound stage would be a bonus) - I'd be pretty happy.

I know that putting the jumbos on the 325s will hurt what I have now. I'm hoping that on the PS500 it might be a natural match.

Jul 21, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #3,784 of 65,621
Quote:
I know that putting the jumbos on the 325s will hurt what I have now. I'm hoping that on the PS500 it might be a natural match.

The G Cushions are not bad on the PS500's - perhaps a little more sound stage.  Though, I don't think they're worth $45 on the PS500's.

They still don't add the finite detail, clarity, imaging, separation, and layering that the PS1000's have. 

Jul 21, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #3,786 of 65,621
Maybe you should consider using some distancers like the MS-Ultimate or MS1000 with the PS500 or some MSPro if you can find a deal on a used pair. I have tried it on my MSPro and loved it. The only reason a sold them was to financed my T1.

The G Cushions are not bad on the PS500's - perhaps a little more sound stage.  Though, I don't think they're worth $45 on the PS500's.

They still don't add the finite detail, clarity, imaging, separation, and layering that the PS1000's have. 

Jul 21, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #3,787 of 65,621
Quote:
So can you guys help me to understand what the Alessandro Grados are? I don't understand the relationship. Are these modded Grados? Is there a relationship between the two companies?

For those who like Grados, but find the 325 to be too bright will likely find the MS2 to taste.  To my ears they are more of a straight up grade of the 225 than the 325 is.

Jul 21, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #3,788 of 65,621
Quote:

For those who like Grados, but find the 325 to be too bright will likely find the MS2 to taste.  To my ears they are more of a straight up grade of the 225 than the 325 is.

Interesting...any feedback on the RS-1 vs MS-Pro?

Jul 21, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #3,790 of 65,621
Just a few more notes concerning cable matters for the GS1000i & PS1000.

I have already mentioned previously that I strongly believe that my interconnects were playing a mediocre
role in my rig - I have a few pairs but they each seem to offer up a contrast of pros and cons.

This weekend I've been fortunate enough to audition for the two day break - these things.

They're from a small company in New Zealand called 'Antipodes'
 and this is their reference series RCA cable. Made totally in house from various
 blends of platinum, silver and a hint of gold.

I know many of us are not cable believers or at least their potential for making a substantial
 change is considered minimal. I decided to put these puppies through the ultimate PS1000
 test last night :-

3 x albums - all the way through - the selection? The sultans of soundtrack sibilance 
smile.gif

The entire Nolan franchise Batman OST collection - all three from Batman Begins, Dark Knight to Dark Knight Rises.

Here is the incredulous part - no harshness or sibilance even through the most chaotic and metallic passages.
 These cables are very rich and warm, towards the end of the evening I even found myself wanting a little more
 bite.

These left me quite impressed with what they can do, if anything it concreted my view that you can tune
the big boys from Grado if you have the fortunate ability to test and demo, this and that. Everything matters.

Jul 21, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #3,791 of 65,621
About Sennheiser HDVD-800, I'm really curious as to what will happen when your average Joe Sennheiser user (bought at Best Buy, Wal Mart or whatever) will learn the existence of such a "Headphone amplifier" thing and then look out on eBay (for a cheaper alternative maybe, or maybe just out of curiosity) and will realize that this electrical device has been existing for a long time before Sennheiser "invented" it. At that moment maybe Head-Fi will start taking over in the bigger culture (or just gain a sudden significant increase popularity) if this product (by Sennheiser) gets noticed and more importantly sold at Future Shop.

I'm also wondering if we will assist to the popularization of the balanced configuration (a paradigm shift?) --I really expect Sennheiser to start selling a 4 pin XLR balanced cable option for their HD800 at the time of the release of their balanced amp for it; Sennheiser branded XLR plugs would be cool too!--, and if high-end plug manufacturers will finally start producing fancy rhodium 4 pins XLR plugs too, instead of just 3 pins, like it is right now.

Quote:
Tonight he's using the PS 500 in the field.

Yeah!

Auggie in Covert Affair, after he gave away his RS-2 to a little girl at the end of season 1.

PS500 prototype / early model, chrome finish!

This is why I said "black box" - I don't know about the innards. Alessandro was pretty vague in their reply, here it is:
And their reply:

From what I've read on both sides, they meet that "very similar" burden (e.g. the MS-Pro is made from the same wood, uses the same cable, etc) but I have no idea beyond that. And from experience, most threads/questions about the origin or specifics of Grado drivers usually have a tendency to disappear along with the Kennedy assassination tapes and Roswell recordings. 
tongue.gif

There's this older review:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/153453/rs-1-vs-ms-pro-a-comparative-review
From the pics, they look pretty darn similar, especially if you consider the newer RS-1i.
devouringone3,
Do you know anything about this?

Nope I don't sorry. I never focused much on Alessandro music products, although in another life if I were to begin somewhere it would be with an old style (non "i") MS1 :p, because they are "said" (yet not really measured) more neutral, and I love the slimmer cups that looks even more retro in my opinion. And a Canadian I also like that I can just order them online at a fixed price... and it's international, and so much more flexible and fair than Grado's distribution system.

If you would be to ask John Grado I'm sure he would reply to you something similar to what he replied Head-Fiers about the PS-1 when it was discovered out of the blue, and about how good and different it sounded. That's how he explains the (or avoid) fact that Grado Labs is capable of more than one "Grado" sound: "[Alessandro's example] I was asked to make three models of headphones, each with a particular sound, range of specs, and in a given price bracket price; so I came up with ideas according to what I had on hand and we settled on the three models currently available, MS1, -2, and -Pro. Basically it's their headphones, they're philosophy on how it should sound, not mine, and I'm only the manufacturer (I don't sell them)." So he's basically attributing (and will redirect questions about) those differences in the sound of the headphones he produces to persons and distributors. He also implied that the PS-1 was more "Germanic sounding" because it was targeted at the German people through Germany-based FreeSystems wireless digital technology company who made a very specific commission for it. The PS-1 could have had a more "adapted to infra-red transmitted digital signal" sound to it just as well, lol.

Very interesting thread you got there Obob! I shall inform myself on that subject too!

Jul 23, 2012 at 6:57 AM Post #3,792 of 65,621
Wow, it's been a while since this forum went an entire 24 hr without a post...c'mon guys, we're slippin!

I thought I'd take a minute to revisit something I have mentioned on here a time or two...I try to keep all my headphones in regular rotation, and I sort of have specific uses for each of them. I often will keep the SR80s busy by giving them TV watching duty. Tonight I watched this week's episode of Breaking Bad, and it was just another one of the many examples of how these headphones take the tv viewing experience to a whole new level. It's SO much better than watching with just the regular tv speakers...dialogue is crisp and intelligible, you hear far more detail in the soundtrack for the show than you would otherwise, and some of the imaging-related effects were just perfect. There was a scene tonight where a car was coming in from the right of the screen, into and out of the shot, and then off to the left of the screen. With the Grados it honestly sounded like it was coming from WAY right and departing WAY left...very realistic and believable. Just like Magnepans do with movies, Grados allow me to become much more engaged with what I'm watching and the whole experience just sort of comes alive. If you haven't given this a shot yet, try it...you'll probably like it! 

Jul 23, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #3,793 of 65,621
I completely agree with you Focker!   Many many (Many!) moons ago, when I first picked up my SR125s I wound up using them for everything.  Music, games, and movies.  All great!  I'll never forget the first time I was watching "The Others" on my laptop.  There was a scene when heavy footsteps are running across the ceiling.  I actually jumped in fear, like it was real!   By the time I got my RS1s, I actually switched my whole home theater to a 2 channel set up.  Believing 2 channels to be less distracting and more engaging.  Bottom line, if you want to hear things and not bother the neighbors.  headphones rock for TV/Movies!  Specially Grados. 
gs1000.gif

Jul 23, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #3,794 of 65,621
Quote:
I completely agree with you Focker!   Many many (Many!) moons ago, when I first picked up my SR125s I wound up using them for everything.  Music, games, and movies.  All great!  I'll never forget the first time I was watching "The Others" on my laptop.  There was a scene when heavy footsteps are running across the ceiling.  I actually jumped in fear, like it was real!   By the time I got my RS1s, I actually switched my whole home theater to a 2 channel set up.  Believing 2 channels to be less distracting and more engaging.  Bottom line, if you want to hear things and not bother the neighbors.  headphones rock for TV/Movies!  Specially Grados. 
gs1000.gif

I know *exactly* which scene you're talking about! Back around 2001, I had put together my first HT system...a bunch of Paradigm speakers and an SVS subwoofer. That was one of the first movie we watched, and that scene was very convincing! I need to watch that with the Grados now that you mention it...the imaging is so solid, even on the little 80s, that I can imagine it's a very cool effect. 

I'm with you on the 2-channel thing, as well. I've gone back and forth between different configurations, and even though I have both on-wall Magnepan surrounds and a center, right now I just have my mains fired up. I definitely agree that it can be more engaging....especially when the center channel is recorded well, cause a phantom center can sound more diffuse and create a bigger center fill with just 2 channels sometimes than when you have a center engaged. I've used a phantom center quite a lot over the years...I'm a big fan of the 2-channel set-up for movies. 

Good times! 

Jul 23, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #3,795 of 65,621
I have some LCD-2 rev 2's that came today. I feel like such a sellout...

I'll buy some PS-500's to make it up to you guys though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back