Grado Fan Club!
Jul 3, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #3,616 of 65,636
Quote:

I've never found the Grados to lack fullness (to my ears), but if you're wanting more of a "thump", I would probably look somewhere else. As others have said, you'll probably need to go up to the next level of Grados (RS1, PS500, etc) in order to get some thump. Grado bass is very well articulated, but not accentuated. It also rolls off a bit as you head toward the lower registers. 

The best comparison I can make with the Grado 325s are the other two headphones I own in that price range, the Beyerdynamic DT880/600 and the Beyer DT1350. Just as a comparison, the bass on the 1350 is much more pronounced than the 325s. With recordings that have some bass, I get quite a lot of impact from them. The 325s roll off well before I get to that point, though. 

And for the record, that's not a knock on the Grados. Anyone who is familiar with my posts knows I love them. The PS500s are my favorite headphone, even though they cost less than half of my "best" phone. 

I love the Grado sound too, just it seemed airy to me. Though I've only listened to Sr60's. They have a great sound for the price. I was told the 325 has the most bass of the prestige series and is a bit of a stretch for my budget. So I really don't think refering me to higher end headphones will help. Sorry guys. I'd just like to make an informed purchase.

Jul 3, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #3,617 of 65,636
I was perusing another thread (Grado appreciation IIRC) and someone (I forget who) mentioned this guy (I forget if he's on head-fi): http://www.martincustomaudio.com/p/aluminum-gimbals-rodblocks.html

But hey, the site exists so I haven't forgotten everything, lol
Some really, really neat stuff there too.

edit: Actually I think it was this thread, haha

Jul 3, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #3,618 of 65,636
Quote:

I don't know about the "v" drivers, I don't think he has told anyone what he was going to do in the future, and if it's of any interest to us of course. People here have speculated he could just make his own headphones, now that he has a recipe for a great driver and the tools and machinery to make aluminum parts.

I meant version. So the latest version is the v.4?

Anyone know where I can pick up those metal sleeves, or am I really screwed and have to wait for them to pop up on head-fi.

Jul 3, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #3,619 of 65,636
Quote:
Sorry guys. I'd just like to make an informed purchase.

Don't be sorry :wink:, we're all here to help you that, Head-Fi too, but here you're with people more experienced with Grado in general than Head-Fi. But we also love Grado so we're just as biased... but still more informed

SR325is has the most highs and a bass similar to all of the other SR-'s under him (except the SR60 which is exceptional and on his own). But only because headphones really follow a balance principle, this boost in its highs over all other SR-'s will give you the impression that he has less bass. PS500 has a lot of bass by itself, but it's diminished highs makes it look even more bassier, again which is why this is the new kid on the block from Grado.

Grados still have a lot of variation between their units though, and I can understand in which circumstances one could suggest you the SR325is has the bassiest of the bunch. But really it's the SR60i, just so that it can draw bigger crowds only for him, because stronger bass is usually preferred by the general public. Otherwise I consider Grados more for the treble-heads, I do use tape around all my bowls and Grados for a pleasurable effect (with slightly increased bass [slightly increased everything]).

Jul 3, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #3,620 of 65,636
Quote:

I love the Grado sound too, just it seemed airy to me. Though I've only listened to Sr60's. They have a great sound for the price. I was told the 325 has the most bass of the prestige series and is a bit of a stretch for my budget. So I really don't think refering me to higher end headphones will help. Sorry guys. I'd just like to make an informed purchase.

You've heard the 60's.  Your next best step is probably to the 225i, which most agree is the sweet spot in the SR line.  If you have to stay around $100, pick up the Alessandro MS1.  They are my pick for the best buy in the greater SR family.

Jul 3, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #3,621 of 65,636
Quote:

Anyone know where I can pick up those metal sleeves, or am I really screwed and have to wait for them to pop up on head-fi.

Yes, it's v4, and among v4s there are the earlier grey colored drivers which are noticeably more sensitive, doesn't require amplification, have a smoother/more musical sound signature, and the latest black ones, a bit less sensitive, which have different advantages.

I don't know I think you'll have to wait for them to pop up (which rarely happens), and compete with the others for them... or just make a wooden build.

It also annoyed me that he took out such a great product... but he didn't sold much of his aluminum parts, compared to single pairs of drivers people uses in their own mods, or cheaper wooden cups from www.Martincustomaudio.com, Headphile.com and such (http://www.head-fi.org/t/611433/grado-wood-makers-sellers-thread).

It's true that Alessandro Music products are said to be very similar to Grados but with a tad less highs and maybe a bit more bass (could be just an effect of the tamed highs).

Jul 3, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #3,622 of 65,636
Quote:

If you're talking about replacing the plastic chambers with the aluminum ones from the magnum mod I think you're out of luck. If you mean the things holding the cups to the headband check this link I posted a few back: http://www.martincustomaudio.com/p/aluminum-gimbals-rodblocks.html He also does custom wooden cups, so you could lose the plastic that way. His name is mlantinen and he's on here.

I'm extremely tempted myself but I can't afford any of this right now... 
redface.gif

Jul 3, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #3,623 of 65,636
Quote:
If you're talking about replacing the plastic chambers with the aluminum ones from the magnum mod I think you're out of luck. If you mean the things holding the cups to the headband check this link I posted a few back: http://www.martincustomaudio.com/p/aluminum-gimbals-rodblocks.html He also does custom wooden cups, so you could lose the plastic that way. His name is mlantinen and he's on here.

I'm extremely tempted myself but I can't afford any of this right now... 
redface.gif

Yeah I saw the post. Thanks! I love the idea of a full alum headphone. (I recently did a mod on some HE-6's and was horribly disheartened to find they are made of plastic). So it's the main reason I like the Sr325's since it's the cheapest full (partial) metal headphone with great sound. [I would get some alum sleeves to make it full] Anyone think that if I put a foam cover on the driver face it will tame the highs a little bit (with a little detail lost I'm sure) [given that I don't like them]. I just want to avoid piercing treble, and just to clarify, I'm not a bass head. I'm not like "BASSSSS TROLOLOLLLOLOL". The Se215's are too bassy for me and can give me a headache. I also already have BassBoost on my cMoy BB, so that gives me options.

I love clarity, just not needles.

Jul 3, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #3,624 of 65,636
A full mod Magnum 325 sounds better than most Grados. I will also choose that over a pair of Magnum drivers in a wood cup.
In a way I am not so disappointed about the end of the Magnum mod, what it really means is that Rhydon can now put his time and energy into making his own headphones. Hopefully we will have an alternative to Grado with more attention to details. 

Jul 3, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #3,625 of 65,636
Quote:

I also have a pair of SR60s and I replaced the foam pads with the "flat" pads you can buy from ttvjaudio.com.

huge difference. bass is more thumpy, lower mids are more lush and the highs are a bit sweeter (still not as smooth as a magnum or RS1, but better than with the stock pads). the flat pads are amade from a denser material than the comfy pad on the SR60 (and 80 and 125) so they don't let as much bass escape.

If you're on a budget, I would highly recommend getting an SR60, 80 or 125 (they come with the comfy pads) and then spend 40 bucks to get the fat pads from TTVJ.

Jul 3, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #3,626 of 65,636
Quote:
I have had these for awhile now back when we did the Bilavideo mods and I still think they sound awesome. I have Hifiman HE-5LE's and these modded Grado SR125's with Limbawood shells and have yet to hear anything that would make me consider selling these.....anybody around here now remember the Bilavideo mods????
  Ed

What's up Ed...how are you feeling these days?

I see you've made the progression from Grado's to ortho's too.
Quote:
@ all - on the burn-in thing (especially XanderTJ)
Can we leave it out please - this isn't the sound science thread - it's the Grado Fan Club.  Personally I think Obob's post answered it perfectly.  The data that is available is definitely non-conclusive.  Tyll has probably done the most exhaustive objective measurement tests - and even he wasn't convinced one way of the other.  Personally I do believe it's mostly expectation bias and brain burn-in.

TIA

I think it's a psycho acoustic thing too Brooko. I've been listening to my modded T50's alot the last few days, and when I put my HF2's on earlier today it was big change, took a few minutes to acclimate myself to the signature. I absolutely love my HF2's but my modded T50's are pretty shweet
biggrin.gif

Quote:
 Just chiming in with my two cents - enjoyed myself last night revisiting some forgotten Roy Orbison material..

I was listening to Mystery Girl when I fell in love with my HF2's, of course the headphones probably didnt have as much to do with it as the music did. I absolutely love that record, and have from the first time I heard it.

Jul 3, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #3,628 of 65,636
Quote:

The site is out of date... 

Thanks, We've established that. Know any alternatives? Right now it seems like I can only buy used parts from other head-fi members.

Jul 3, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #3,629 of 65,636
Quote:

Thanks, We've established that. Know any alternatives? Right now it seems like I can only buy used parts from other head-fi members.

Contact Rydon at Symphones... he said... he has the drivers, and may have some other parts, or know where you can obtain them.

Jul 3, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #3,630 of 65,636
OK Grado fans, help me out.  I've had some 125s for a year or two now and really like them.  So of course I'm starting to get curious about the rest of the line.  Should I go with the 225s or 325s?  My budget maxes out at around $300.

Stuff I like- vocals, soundstage, detail, clarity.  Bass is also nice.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back