Grado Fan Club!
Jun 15, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #3,316 of 65,649
Hah. I can't wait to let these burn in. Then I'll decide whether I should mod them or not. I have some L Cushes on hold at the supplier that I'm considering too.

Other than that, I'm happy enough right now to save up for some 225/325i's and a desktop amp that won't break the bank. 

Jun 15, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #3,317 of 65,649
Those are two very different headphones. The 325i has very extended/sharp (depending on your taste) treble, while the 225i offers less detail but is smooth as silk.

Jun 15, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #3,318 of 65,649
Which is why I said I'm letting these 80's burn in to see what I like the most about the Grado sound :wink: I've read enough about the differences in the 225/325's to know that. Whether I grow to like the crispness or whether I want a warmer sound. Time will tell. 

Jun 15, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #3,319 of 65,649
Quote:
Which is why I said I'm letting these 80's burn in to see what I like the most about the Grado sound :wink: I've read enough about the differences in the 225/325's to know that. Whether I grow to like the crispness or whether I want a warmer sound. Time will tell. 

Hey mate here's two fairly new USB powered DAC/Amps that won't destroy the budget and yet they will give your
 Grado cans a very clean signal along with modest amplification - very small, no need to plug into the wall.

First up is the ADL Stride Dac / Amp - should be about 250 quid or so on your end.

Then there is this new offering from Kingwa over at Audio-gd - the new Audio-gd NFB-16 USB Dac/Amp.

Contact Amp City in the UK as they are the official Audio-gd distributor - sells for $168 US dollars + shipping
 to the UK - best to get it through Amp City though.

Think of these two as 'much nicer' Fiio E10's.

Jun 15, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #3,320 of 65,649
Dont forget my favorite budget USB DAC/amp...perfect for the Grados...the AudioEngine D1. Just a fantastic little piece of gear. 

Jun 15, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #3,321 of 65,649
Quote:
Hah. I can't wait to let these burn in. Then I'll decide whether I should mod them or not. I have some L Cushes on hold at the supplier that I'm considering too.

Other than that, I'm happy enough right now to save up for some 225/325i's and a desktop amp that won't break the bank.

The other night,i was listening to Diana Krall's 'Love scenes' cd with my PS-1000 straight from the headphone output of my Vintage Yamaha CA-610 II,when the cd finished,just for fun,i went to get my stock SR-80i just to see how much difference there is between a budget Grado and the flagship model,and i was shocked at how well the SR-80i stacked up against the much more expensive sibling,don't get me wrong,the difference is easily noticable,but not as big as i would've tought,ah! the law of diminishing returns.

Jun 15, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #3,323 of 65,649
I was listening to Cream's Strange Brew - The Very Best Of Cream with my modded 80i last night and WOW! Everything sounded so right. I think I finally understand 'bass texture' as a result of listening to this cd. It's not just about bass frequencies, it's about the sound of the bass and the woodiness of tone, which Grados seem to convey so well. 

Anyway, I'm done rambling. 
wink.gif

Cheers,
Dan

Jun 16, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #3,324 of 65,649
Quote:
I was listening to Cream's Strange Brew - The Very Best Of Cream with my modded 80i last night and WOW! Everything sounded so right. I think I finally understand 'bass texture' as a result of listening to this cd. It's not just about bass frequencies, it's about the sound of the bass and the woodiness of tone, which Grados seem to convey so well. 

wink.gif

Cheers,
Dan

Cream - YES!!  Love Disraeli Gears ...actually I prefer the album Fresh Cream put out in 1966, I can even remember buying the album when it first came out and taking it over to a friends to spin on his TT
     With some rolled condiments it proved to be a great winter warmup that year.

Jun 16, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #3,325 of 65,649
Quote:

wink.gif

Cheers,
Dan

Amen, brother Dan! I love the Grado bass...I will gladly give up extension for quality, and the low end that is there on the 80s is very nice, IMO. It was one of the first things that stood out for me when I strapped em on for the first time.

Jun 16, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #3,327 of 65,649
 Love how the RS1i gets a mention before the Denon D5000, AKG Q701 and HD800 in that review :)

Truth be told this USB powered wonder is really only for low impedance cans - it is a viable upper mid range offering for anyone who loves their
 low impedance cans. You really can have it all these days for little cash - if I were to start again, I'd probably pick up one of these, an RS1i
 and a Shure 1840 - sure the PS1000's would emerge later but those two and the Stride from ADL/Furutech are very much Head-Fi goodness.

Jun 16, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #3,328 of 65,649
Quote:

Amen, brother Dan! I love the Grado bass...I will gladly give up extension for quality, and the low end that is there on the 80s is very nice, IMO. It was one of the first things that stood out for me when I strapped em on for the first time.

Can I get a Hell Yeah for Brother Focker?! The 80i is so sweet for the money. I can't wait to pick up a 325is or PS500. Always quality over quantity. Bloated bass just pisses me off. Something I don't have to worry about with Grado.

Cheers,
Brother Dan :wink:

Jun 16, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #3,329 of 65,649
Quote:

Cream - YES!!  Love Disraeli Gears ...actually I prefer the album Fresh Cream put out in 1966, I can even remember buying the album when it first came out and taking it over to a friends to spin on his TT
     With some rolled condiments it proved to be a great winter warmup that year.

Disraeli Gears is such a great album. <3 Cream. I was just listening to "Tales of Brave Ulysses" last night out of the HP1000.

This morning it's Black Sabbath.

Jun 16, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #3,330 of 65,649
Quote:
Can I get a Hell Yeah for Brother Focker?! The 80i is so sweet for the money. I can't wait to pick up a 325is or PS500. Always quality over quantity. Bloated bass just pisses me off. Something I don't have to worry about with Grado.

Cheers,
Brother Dan :wink:

lol...I can't wait for you to get a higher end Grado down the line...you seem to love the 80s as much as I did when I first got them, so I already know how you'll like the better Grados...especially the 500s! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back