Grado Fan Club!
May 31, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #3,031 of 65,624
I second the PS500. The SR325is is one of my least favorite members of the Grado family, epitomizing the criticisms that people usually level at the brand (mistakenly as a whole), the most prominent of which is the overly harsh upper end. On some tracks it's like sheet metal gouging your ears. The PS500 on the other hand is a fantastically tuned headphone in my opinion.

It really is. Over the last few days I've found a great headphone and a terribly mediocre one, those being the PS500 and the HD700. No need to go into great detail which is which, but suffice to say, Grado did some fantastic work on their end. Even at $600 (I paid $450 for mine as a "display model") it's one hell of a bargain.

I am truly a Grado addict! My purchase of the SR80i is one of the best audio buys I have ever made. I have so much fun listening to my music collection all over again. Consider me a convert. But I already have upgradeitis. I can't decide. I have read many great things about the 325is as well as what I could find on the PS500. Should I go for the 325is or save a bit more money and get the PS500s? If I get the 325is I would get a Little Dot MkIII to add some tubes to the mix. If I get the PS500s I would have to stick with my Fiio E10 for quite a while until my wallet doesn't hate me anymore.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

IMO, don't go 325is. While very interesting with some material, at times you may feel like someone's stuck an ice pick in your ear. Get the PS500 and stick with the E10. It's more than capable of handling the PS500, as they aren't demanding at all. While my dedicated amps do a better job, I feel, my iPhone is capable of driving mine without any real issues at all. I think they'll knock your socks off.

the sr225i was the first headphone i ever got that was over $100
and it's still my favorite
i really want a travel headphone with grado sound D:

Check out the V-MODA M80 or V80 (same cans only different graphics), similar sound signature, only the M80s are closed back. They don't have quite the depth of soundstage as say the SR225i, but offer a bit more mid-bass kick. They're also incredibly durable, quite attractive (IMO), and come with a great travel case. You can get them from Amazon, open box like-new, for $125.

May 31, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #3,032 of 65,624
Check out the V-MODA M80 or V80 (same cans only different graphics), similar sound signature, only the M80s are closed back. They don't have quite the depth of soundstage as say the SR225i, but offer a bit more mid-bass kick. They're also incredibly durable, quite attractive (IMO), and come with a great travel case. You can get them from Amazon, open box like-new, for $125.

yessss

off to amazon!

May 31, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #3,034 of 65,624
Make sure you buy from Amazon Warehouse Deals if you get them "open box". I've not had issues getting headphones from them but their return policy is the same as Amazon's, which is outstanding.

May 31, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #3,035 of 65,624
  Thanks everyone for your replies. So I gather that most of you think that buying the 325is would be a lateral move from the 80i? From what I gather in the article/review that devouringone3 supplied is that the PS500 is a bit smoother of a presentation as opposed to the 325is? I really enjoy the bite of my 80i and wouldn't want to loose that in moving up the Grado food chain. However a more mature/refined presentation ala the PS500 is something to consider. The 325is really seems to be a very polarizing headphone; you either love it or hate it, whereas from what I gather the PS500 is more well rounded/well behaved and people seem to be more accepting of it's sonic flavor. Perhaps I'm wrong?

Cheers,
Dan

Not at all, you're very much right.

I don't think you're loosing anything on the PS500 :wink:, it still has a lot of the Grado bite, but a different flavour to it (but I'm only talking from the reviews I've read, I never listened to it myself). Some people prefer SR60i and SR80i to SR325is, so that might be where the polarization comes from. With the PS500 you jumping in one very happy bandwagon, and you could make a new fanclub for it alone if you wish, lol.

Oh and one big argument that you might have considered already, but that you definitely need to consider: buying a SR325is might cause you to leave your SR80i behind, because you're upgrading in the Prestige Series... this effect will not be as present if you buy a PS500, as these two headphones, SR80i and PS500, are more complementary/different.

Also don't be afraid of change :wink:... you like your SR80i, but that's not a reason to avoid trying something different about Grado, as you might discover a sound you like even more, that you never expected or saw coming. For once in Grado's history, the positive reviews are unequivocal, so I'm recommending the headphone to you knowing it's going to be a safe buy.

Also the SR325is you can buy it later, use it, have your full of it, and then send it to Rhydon at Symphones to make it a Magnum (for 400 dollars). That's going to be a third flavour and possibly the ultimate Grado-format headphone (although the sound signature changes a lot, the reviews are unequivocally positively, again: it's a RS1 on steroid). The Magnums are also very prodigious, but it's another thing you need to read about and maybe you're not ready for it either. Maybe you'd want something more personalized for it like wooden cups, although I recommend full-metal, full Magnum upgrade myself.

The choice is up to you.

May 31, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #3,036 of 65,624
 Just chiming in on the goodness above - I *finally* did manage to get my hands on a pair of PS500's for the evening.

So here's a really short and sweet comparo' with the RS1i :-

Bass :-
 More mid bass impact on the PS500, definitely agree with Martin that this new-ish Grado is the first one to break out
 on the dance floor, I'm more of a jazz man these days but this trait did jump out on a few electronic ambient tracks.
 Bass timbre is the difference between the two, the PS500 has a small sub like quality to it whilst the RS1i has
 a deeper, less impactful type of wooden Hi-Fi bass - which is better? You decide :)

Mids :-
 You don't realise how forward the RS1i sounds until you have a PS500 on hand, there is nothing distant about
 vocals or other middle frequencies on the PS500 but everything sounds a good row or two more forward on the
 Reference Series 1 - this in itself might the single deciding trait that makes the PS500 appealing to folks who
 at heart are not total Grado aficionados. I find the RS1i more intimate but that's my subjective preference,
 I can recommend and could certainly live with the PS500 presentation here.

Highs and sizzly treble :-
 This is perhaps where I really do prefer the RS1i - it extends into those saxophone highs with aplomb and
 control, the PS500 rolls off a tad and in some cases can exhibit a little smidge of glare by comparison - again,
 nitpicking here and you would really only notice with a headphone such as the RS1i or Shure 1840 that by
 comparison do a slightly better job.

Imaging :-
 RS1i again for me - it surely must come down to the cup size and venting - there is certainly more
 volume in the all-wooden cup, my reference for an imaging test is The Doors - The End (Heart of Darkness edition)
 at the beginning a sweeping tone images from left to right and then back again - the PS500 does a great job
 but to my ears it does not manage to make too many gains from the 325i in this respect - there is more air
 and spatial sense with the RS1i.

Overall? There is no winner - RS1i would be a recommendation for someone who really wants the most forward
 mids in the business, fancies jazz, female/male vocals - no electronic or dance or anything top #40 really.
 The PS500 is perhaps the more complete listen, its not as bright overall - has a more relaxed presentation
 and is ultimately more conducive to modern releases.

Focker mate, if you're reading this - I know you still have your eye on the RS1i - my advice? It's not going
 to be a $695 leap, I know you're a progressive bloke who is happy to take the small differences but my advice
 is that for exactly the same cash - live large, carpe diem - seize the day and just offer up that some money
 for a barely used GS1000i - reasoning? SR80i, SR325i, PS500, T1 - are excellent cans in their own right
 but where is the sonorous soundstage and dramatic big bass? GS1000i :)

May 31, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #3,037 of 65,624
@musiclover666 Different perspective on the 325is - and sadly I haven't heard the PS500's (although I'd love to at some stage).

I went from a vanilla MS1i to a full woody jackets MS1i, and then transplanted 325i drivers in - so now I have a 325i with full woody jacket. The drivers have 2 holes punched in each. For my listening, it's been well worth it.

Yes they are bright - but I haven't ever felt the "icepick" effect others have mentioned.

What I do love is the bite, the detail, and the contrast between the highs and the bass (which I find just excellent) & the classic Grado mid-range is still very apparent. I don't know if it's the wood making the difference - but once I'd heard these, I could never go back to my MS1is again. If you ever get the chance to listen to a woodied 325i, it may surprise you. Oh - and it's defintiely not a side grade IMO.

May 31, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #3,038 of 65,624
I emailed TTVJ and Grado about HF2 vs PS500.  They both said the PS500 is slightly more "refined"  than the HF2 with some slight revisions.  I have not heard any RS headphone.  As I've written, I love the HF2.  I would trade it for a PS500 and may at some stage.

My humble opinion based purely on measurements and having briefly heard the 325is (sold it as it was too bright for me) that grado really has two current flagships: The PS500 and the RS1i.    Would love to own RS1i to complete the ultimate current production Grado collection.

I'm sure that there is some voodoo to the PS1000 but the g-cush pads, I believe, are simply a hack (again this is all on paper.)    Grados are meant to be SUPERAURAL!

May 31, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #3,039 of 65,624
Once again, thanks to everyone for their input and helpful advice. You all have definitely given me a lot to consider and I will probably change my mind a hundred times between now and the day I actually purchase my new Grado, which ever one it may end up being. 

On a side note, for those that care, i finally received my red Senn. 414 pads in the mail.
They do look pretty sharp with my custom 80i.  
But more importantly they sound pretty good too. One thing I noticed immediately was how my flats have a tendency to choke the high end a bit compared to the 414's. I find the 414's very close to bowls in the way they present the music, perhaps a bit more bass though. I think they are equal in the highs and mids though. The 414's definitely retain that forward bite that I love about my Grados. I also prefer them with the quarter mod but not reversed. I find that when they are reversed they are too diffuse and lose a lot of impact and bass. They are also quite comfy, for a Grado pad.

I will be enjoying these for the rest of the night while I plow through my music collection again for the umpteenth time since acquiring my Grados.

Cheers all, and happy listening!
Dan

May 31, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #3,040 of 65,624
A lot of good information in here for me as I am considering either the 325 or ps500. 

I owned the 325 before and I really liked them. They were a little bright but nothing over the top for me, and now that I have a tube amp instead of solid state I am thinking this might put them right where I would have wanted them from the start. They had a bad cable from the factory and only lasted about a week before the right cup started loosing sound at times. I took them back to where I bought them, but they didnt have anymore so I opted for a refund instead of something else. Before I could get another pair, I ran across a deal on a set of Denon 7000 that I couldnt pass up and used the money and bought them instead. Now the time has come to add Grado back into the line-up. 

My only hesitation on getting the PS500 is, would it sound to much like my D7k's? From what I read about people talking about them, and how they differ from the 325 kind of makes me think they wouldnt be that much different and let me feeling I wish I had gone with the 325 for a very different sound. 

Anyone ever heard both the PS500 and Denon 7000? 

Thanks

May 31, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #3,041 of 65,624
Quote:
I emailed TTVJ and Grado about HF2 vs PS500.  They both said the PS500 is slightly more "refined"  than the HF2 with some slight revisions.  I have not heard any RS headphone.  As I've written, I love the HF2.  I would trade it for a PS500 and may at some stage.

My humble opinion based purely on measurements and having briefly heard the 325is (sold it as it was too bright for me) that grado really has two current flagships: The PS500 and the RS1i.    Would love to own RS1i to complete the ultimate current production Grado collection.

I'm sure that there is some voodoo to the PS1000 but the g-cush pads, I believe, are simply a hack (again this is all on paper.)    Grados are meant to be SUPERAURAL!

Nah mate - something a little truer would be that the GS1000 and PS1000 are not as versatile both in fit, build and sound - but to say they're a 'hack' - no way! :)

You don't realise how average the RS1i and PS500 sound compared to the PS1000 (assuming the track has soundstage and space) until you have all three in
 front of you.

Flipside is that the GS1000 and PS1000 need expensive rigs, are not portable and quite unwieldy + they will hate half of your record collection. Horses for courses.

May 31, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #3,042 of 65,624
PS500 pad rolling is a hoot, I'm loving the L and G cushion swaps for different genres of music. :L3000:

May 31, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #3,043 of 65,624
Quote:

3 points I like to make:

1- Grado designed their headphones using ears not measurements. So to judge their products based on measurements is kind of pointless.
 2- Please don't knock the GS1000 & PS1000 until you actually listen to them for an extended amount of time.
 3- It's spelled SUPRA AURAL.

May 31, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #3,044 of 65,624
 New toy for the PS1000 today - the new Nordost Heimdall Revision 2 power cable with Furutech ends - man have I waited long for this puppy.

Hopefully cleans up a thing or two :)

May 31, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #3,045 of 65,624
Nice. Not sure about cleaning things up, but it looks cool. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back