Grado Fan Club!
May 24, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #2,956 of 65,629
Quote:
Let me know how it goes, I'm considering selling my modded SR-60 and Sextett for a DT880-600ohm if I can't figure it out.

DON'T DO IT! You'll regret it. There has to be a work around so that you can still enjoy your Grados. Out of all the headphones I have owned and tried Grados are by far my favorite, and I am only at the 80i!

May 24, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #2,957 of 65,629
I don't know if it helps you guys, but Larry Dale at www.headphile.com has some interesting options an ideas for modding the Grado pads. You may want to see what he has to offer just in case it helps. 

May 24, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #2,959 of 65,629
Quote:
I don't know if it helps you guys, but Larry Dale at www.headphile.com has some interesting options an ideas for modding the Grado pads. You may want to see what he has to offer just in case it helps. 

Yeah, $245 for the C pads is a bit steep for me. Thanks though!

May 24, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #2,960 of 65,629
Quote:
Should come up with a new thread titled "Grado red antihelix gallery" (pictures only) LOL
triportsad.gif

LMAO! Indeed. Well, I would like to report that since having the PX-100 mod on my bowls and listening for an hour I can say I have very little if any discomfort on my antihelix. I will be listening the rest of the night, til about 1:00am, MST, I will report back then.

Cheers,
Dan

May 24, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #2,961 of 65,629
Quote:

Yeah, $245 for the C pads is a bit steep for me. Thanks though!

I think he describes a DIY option....figured that would be right up your alley :)

May 24, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #2,962 of 65,629
Quote:
 LMAO! Indeed. Well, I would like to report that since having the PX-100 mod on my bowls and listening for an hour I can say I have very little if any discomfort on my antihelix. I will be listening the rest of the night, til about 1:00am, MST, I will report back then.

Cheers,
Dan

Good for you =) mine still hurt after the PX-100 mod but justslightly less. any difference on sound quality? I did notice a difference and now just using bowls by themselves

May 24, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #2,963 of 65,629
Quote:

I think he describes a DIY option....figured that would be right up your alley :)

Sorry, I must have missed that. I will go back and have another look. Thanks focker.

May 24, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #2,964 of 65,629
Quote:
Good for you =) mine still hurt after the PX-100 mod but justslightly less. any difference on sound quality? I did notice a difference and now just using bowls by themselves

I don't think there is a difference in sound quality, not that I am noticing anyway. I was more concerned about the comfort issue and getting that sorted out. Tomorrow I might play around and see if there is a difference between the two.

Cheers,
Dan

May 24, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #2,965 of 65,629
Quote:

Sorry, I must have missed that. I will go back and have another look. Thanks focker.

Sure thing...I may be wrong and it wasn't Larry who had the DIY option, but I know I've seen a DIY plan with the beyer pads for Grados...I'll see if I can trck it down for you. 

May 24, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #2,966 of 65,629
Quote:

Make sure your PX-100 pad is well stretched and fitted, and the bowl's back edge is sitting past the back edge of the PX-100, you want to keep the drivers as close as possible to your ear, even with that extra layer of foam covering it.

If you still can hear a difference, it is most probably caused by the fact your PX-100 isn't quarter-modded, and you have golden ears.

:wink:

I used to have a lot of comfort problems with bowls too, so I used only flats and HD414, but now loving my PX100-Bowl pads, and using them almost exclusively.

May 24, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #2,967 of 65,629
Well, I didn't expect it, but after a week or so, I do really like the 225i Grado's. They complement the 598s really well and I enjoy listening to both equally. Each day the discomfort I had with the drivers rubbing against my ear diminishes too, but I was struggling with the problems you guys are discussing right now. It doesn't bother me as much as it did earlier. When it starts to hurt I switch over to the 598s because their pads are the softest I've ever experienced.

May 24, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #2,969 of 65,629
Quote:
Count me in! Just bought a set of sr125i's from a fellow head-fi'er!

How do you like them so far? What type of pads are you using. Do you plan to mod them?

Cheers,
Dan

May 24, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #2,970 of 65,629
Quote:
This whole Grado comfort thing is just fascinating to me...I've honestly tried to understand it,but I guess it must be something with certain types of ears, cause I just don't have anything like what some of you guys are describing at all. The Grados barely have any clamp at all to them and I find the pads very comfortable, especially after throwing them in with the laundry. My ears don't sweat at all and I can wear any of my three pairs for hours on end and often fall asleep with them on. I guess I just have the right shape/size ears or something...I dunno. Sorry you guys are having to go through that, though, especially if you like how they sound...must be very frustrating. 

x2.
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back