Grado Fan Club!
May 22, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #2,926 of 65,624
I am so striking out trying to get wooden Grado cups... this is getting discouraging. :confused:

Try Martin Custom Audio. Bit more expensive but he does beautiful work. I was lucky enough to snag one of the last sets of Cabillas cups a while ago (fwj) - and I love my woodied SR325i - still use them everyday.

May 22, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #2,927 of 65,624
Quote:
I am so striking out trying to get wooden Grado cups... this is getting discouraging.
confused.gif

Someone told me there is a guy on ebay selling cups. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grado-SR-60i-80i-125i-225i-325i-RS1-RS2-Headphone-Walnut-Wood-Cups-/140746324970?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c5227bea#ht_500wt_1156  Cheap too. You could also post an ad in the classifieds asking to buy a set.

May 22, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #2,928 of 65,624

Try Martin Custom Audio. Bit more expensive but he does beautiful work. I was lucky enough to snag one of the last sets of Cabillas cups a while ago (fwj) - and I love my woodied SR325i - still use them everyday.

I tried Martin, I never heard back from them when I inquired.

Someone told me there is a guy on ebay selling cups. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grado-SR-60i-80i-125i-225i-325i-RS1-RS2-Headphone-Walnut-Wood-Cups-/140746324970?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c5227bea#ht_500wt_1156  Cheap too. You could also post an ad in the classifieds asking to buy a set.

That's jschristian44, he's going to Alaska tomorrow and won't be back until September. No cups until then. And I did post in the classifieds, no answers.

So, yeah, been there, tried those. :frowning2:

May 22, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #2,929 of 65,624
Quote:
Maybe your ears are sweaty, in a hot day? This isn't normal really... unless they came like this. Otherwise no they should remain uniform white. You can take some absorbing towel and try drying the darker areas.

I wouldn't be alarmed if I were you though, the driver is still like 0.65 cm under, and they don't fear small particles of dust, pads, or a even bit of humidity either, they won't change anything in their integrity and sound.

It's been warm out but it's not exceptionally warm in the house. I've let them "dry out" but it must be grease or something...kind of gross (especially considering I have good hygiene habits!), but as long as the sound is fine I won't continue to worry about it. They also get uncomfortable after only 30 minutes, so maybe new pads will kill two birds with one stone.

May 22, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #2,930 of 65,624
Quote:
I tried Martin, I never heard back from them when I inquired.
That's jschristian44, he's going to Alaska tomorrow and won't be back until September. No cups until then. And I did post in the classifieds, no answers.
So, yeah, been there, tried those.
frown.gif

Have you considered aluminum? A guy saw my plea for cups and sent me a msg stating he makes aluminum cups. Something to think about...

May 22, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #2,931 of 65,624
Have you considered aluminum? A guy saw my plea for cups and sent me a msg stating he makes aluminum cups. Something to think about...

Thanks, but I have my heart set on wood. Like these, mmm...

May 22, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #2,932 of 65,624
Those are pretty sweet, yes.

May 22, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #2,934 of 65,624
Quote:
It's been warm out but it's not exceptionally warm in the house. I've let them "dry out" but it must be grease or something...kind of gross (especially considering I have good hygiene habits!), but as long as the sound is fine I won't continue to worry about it. They also get uncomfortable after only 30 minutes, so maybe new pads will kill two birds with one stone.

Both are good ideas, not worrying about it (because I can tell you it's a non-issue really, if you're willing to believe me :wink:, and putting smaller pads like Sennheiser PX100 pads, or Koss KSC75 pads under your bowls, will alleviate discomfort and pain. 

Quote:

Grado + Symphones = The best aluminum cups you can get :p

May 22, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #2,935 of 65,624
Well my HeadphoneLounge Headband just came here are some pics.
They were take in a hurry so sorry for the quality.
I didn't though that the headband could help in the confort (the previous one never hurt me) but it does, it makes feel the headphones feel "lighter" in your head.

May 22, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #2,936 of 65,624
Nice! That's next one my list of upgrades to my 80i.

May 22, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #2,938 of 65,624
Quote:
love HF2..

I have HF2 number 131 that i just obtained  a few weeks ago as essentially new old stock.   I had gone from SR60 to DT880 to HD650 now to HF2.   I am loving the HF2!   Love the comfort, the way they look and most importantly the sound.  They are breaking in beautifully!     

I'm using an Nuforce HD as I wait patiently for a Mad Ear+ Super II to hook up to my new-in-box wyred4sound microdac/udac and NOS GE 5 star 5751s and GE CBQ5s!

I'm not certain there is anything better out there (for me!)

May 22, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #2,940 of 65,624
Quote:
How do you find the HF2 in relation to the HD650. Im thinking of going for some PS500s

I find the HF2 so much more engaging;  I like rock - so it's just much more enjoyable.   The deep bass extension is *not* as good on the Grado however.  

I've actually been pouring over the innerfidelity measurement charts recently.  http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-data-sheet-downloads  The PS500 measure better than any Grado, as I interpret the measurements.    The HD650, however, measure even better for what's that worth.  

Certainly for many people the comfort is much better on the HD650 - but for me i honestly prefer the grado.    I don't get as hot and irritated on my head with the grado as with the HD650.

I actually had tried the PS500 for about 20 minutes - and didn't given the chance I should have - but I was put off by the midbass thumping in my head - and  for the cost I just had to return them.   If I had to choose right now between the PS500 and HF2 - cost no object - I would be very torn but *probably* stick with the HF2 in spite of the slightly higher distortion and timing measured on innerfidelity but I definitely would be tempted by the PS500! 

What's astonishing is the frequency response on headphone.com is very similar between the PS500 and HD650.  I would definitely pick the PS500 over the HD650.  I also think the PS500 are "safer" in term of hearing issues because you don't have to crank the headphone amp to get detail.  

I would consider trying to find a nearly-new or new HF2 in the $400-450 range.  It's quite possible that you'll like the frequency response better - and you'd save a few bucks.

FA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back