Grado Fan Club!
May 5, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #2,791 of 65,621
Quote:
This is so wild, right now my two favorite sets of `phones are my SR-007s and... my modded SR60is.
biggrin.gif
I bought the Grados BNIB for $50 off ebay and I've been having a blast with them trying out different mods. Talk about bang for your buck. Of course, I bought L cushions, a manta headband, and I'm about to get some blonde myrtle wood cups too... it does add up, but I think they're still one hell of a value.

Mate - good on you - you're just echoing what has been said again and again - SR60i/SR80i' winner according to many reference Hi-Fi mags for playback - there is none
 better at that price point.

May 5, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #2,792 of 65,621
Got my first Grados (Sr325is) about a month ago and enjoyed them so much I bought the SR80i for the iPod.  What a great value.  I can't wait until my E17 gets here.

May 6, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #2,794 of 65,621
Quote:
Couldn't you just have used the grado 1/4 to 1/8 adapter? o.o
And I'm waiting for my Sr325i to arrive =)

Don't forget to put tape around your bowls, I always found the SR325i I have to be the Grado (question of material, metal / plastic hybrid) to benefit the most from this superawesome mod, (invented by Tyll Hertsens I think).

It's like... crazy, how it improves, almost funny. When you're tired of listening to an incredibly good headphone (more detailed, more bassy, and more comfortable sounding) it's easy to remove (just use some 3M Scotch) tape and return back to classic Grado sound, harsh, sibilant, and airy.

SR325i to me is the best representative of classic Grado sound, one of the principal reason (along with the fact you can transform it into Super Saiyan 2 with Scotch tape) why it's among the only modern Grado headphone I like enough keep in my sacred Gerudo (Grado*) collection. Maybe SR325is sounds like this also, but I prefer when it's golden :p, looks great!

I would also so buy such a headphone:  for that same reason

The tape mod (Grado Basshead mod) enhance SR325i > SR200 > RS-1 > HP-2 in that order... RS-1/HP-2 makes almost no difference at all strangely (A/Bing with the same pads all those headphones).

May 6, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #2,795 of 65,621
 Well got back from a mate's place who has the following rig:-

Laptop--> Audiophilleo with Pure Power pack USB to SPDIF converter--> Audio-gd Reference 5 DAC
 Norse XLR cables---> Violectric V200

There was quite a bit of sibilance to be found with the PS1000 on many recordings, a trait that I'm not getting at home on
 my basic Audiophilleo (no Pure Power pack) with the Rega DAC - just goes to show that synergy is so important with these
 Grado flagships. I also got to try the new Audio-gd NFB-6 but that was just very strange sounding but we only had a few
 basic cheapie CD players to work with.

Sound stage was very good though, anything remotely modern and compressed was a nightmare - for a laugh we
 put on Mariah Carey's 'Dreamlover' - Arrrrrrrrggh!! Pure agony!

May 6, 2012 at 6:33 AM Post #2,797 of 65,621
Quote:
PS1000 needs mega burn in time, 300 hours at least and my are just over 200.

Dang, I'd be around the 120hr mark or so at a guess - still I'm leaning towards a philosophy of having at least one warm
 device in the chain with these either the DAC or amp.

In my very own setup - I've got warmth on both sides, the Rega has a rich, tubey type of coloration and the V200 has
 a touch of warmth also. I am curious now about the Ray Samuels Raptor - it's quite bright, wonder whether it might be
 a bit too fizzy with the PS1000. 

May 6, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #2,798 of 65,621
Don't forget to put tape around your bowls, I always found the SR325i I have to be the Grado (question of material, metal / plastic hybrid) to benefit the most from this superawesome mod, (invented by Tyll Hertsens I think).

It's like... crazy, how it improves, almost funny. When you're tired of listening to an incredibly good headphone (more detailed, more bassy, and more comfortable sounding) it's easy to remove (just use some 3M Scotch) tape and return back to classic Grado sound, harsh, sibilant, and airy.

SR325i to me is the best representative of classic Grado sound, one of the principal reason (along with the fact you can transform it into Super Saiyan 2 with Scotch tape) why it's among the only modern Grado headphone I like enough keep in my sacred Gerudo (Grado*) collection. Maybe SR325is sounds like this also, but I prefer when it's golden :p, looks great!

The tape mod (Grado Basshead mod) enhance SR325i > SR200 > RS-1 > HP-2 in that order... RS-1/HP-2 makes almost no difference at all strangely (A/Bing with the same pads all those headphones).

The goldies are gorgeous, wish they were still available. As for the grados (325 in particular?) being harsh and sibilant...they aren't either, at all, to me. I am certainly no bass head, and the 325 is on the bright side of dark, for sure. Sibilant? Never. My DT880s show sibilance far more. Harsh? Not at all. I guess I could see it at extreme volumes, but any bright can would.

I haven't tried the tape mod, so I can't speak to it's effects. I have no reason to, I like the sound as is. I'd imagine if I like the brightness, a mod that makes them dark would not be for me. I am also not a big fan of modding, admittedly. With the vast, seemingly endless options in headphones out there; why buy a pair you have to alter the sound? Just find ones that are to your liking to start with.

May 6, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #2,799 of 65,621

Thanks =]
i haven't been looking at many mods yet but from what I've read there are lots.

May 6, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #2,800 of 65,621
Quote:
The goldies are gorgeous, wish they were still available. As for the grados (325 in particular?) being harsh and sibilant...they aren't either, at all, to me. I am certainly no bass head, and the 325 is on the bright side of dark, for sure. Sibilant? Never. My DT880s show sibilance far more. Harsh? Not at all. I guess I could see it at extreme volumes, but any bright can would.
I haven't tried the tape mod, so I can't speak to it's effects. I have no reason to, I like the sound as is. I'd imagine if I like the brightness, a mod that makes them dark would not be for me. I am also not a big fan of modding, admittedly. With the vast, seemingly endless options in headphones out there; why buy a pair you have to alter the sound? Just find ones that are to your liking to start with.

Most of the modding options are lost on me, as well. I think it's great people experiment and try different things, I just have never had any interest in modding my gear. I'm with you on the 325s...as I mentioned previously, I was really afraid (after looking at the frequency response graph) that the 500s were going to be too different than the 325s on top, and I happen to really like how the 325s sound. I definitely find certain recordings that are nearly unlistenable, but that's the recording, not the headphones. Thankfully, regardless of the graph, the 500s do maintain a slight brightness but it's more toward neutral than the 325s. I can do neutral or bright, but I can'd do dark.

But as much as I love the 500s, no way I'm ever parting with my 325s...just fantastic cans.

Devouringone: BEAUTIFUL headphones!!!

May 6, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #2,803 of 65,621
Hey guys, don't worry I also like my SR325i A LOT ;D, and I'm using it stock right now, because my taped bowls are on a Grado that needs it more (a weaker outputting and old, SR200 (factory mismatched, with one black and one silver magnet driver used in it, it's a oddball)).

I was only trying to "act" as the incarnation of the Grado hater (while I'm a Grado-only person myself)... I don't think it's harsh or sibilant at all :wink:, and agree with you everywhere. Actually regarding my own bass tastes, I consider the SR325i and Grado in general, bassy, just the right way, on the right spot, for me and for my music. I have had a taste of flatter, and going-lower bass (on a modded T50RP) and I missed the 100 Hz typical Grado bump.

The ultimate sibilance test for me is how loud I push tolerate voluming up this track (Necrofantasia by ZUN, piercing highs): http://soundcloud.com/devouringone3/zun-necrofantasia-phantasm

You should all try putting two layer-wide of (smaller) on a SR325i or SR325is, that statement still holds on even though I told you I was joking earlier, lol

Around the circumference of your bowls (the mod doesn't do much to the flats pad, from my experience and with my headphones(all types, except wood+plastic hybrid, the HF-1). Don't use electrical tape, it looks good but it's a more-permanent addition, unless you choose to live with all the residues left behind (very hard to wash back. Scotch tape is removed without a single trace of it's passage.

Also it's a simple mod, you don't need to try 20 brand or configuration of tape... just cover all the area there is with Scotch tape (like I said it takes two stripes wide with the smaller one), and I recommend 3M because it's of good quality and I can certify it doesn't leave residue, but many other tapes might do the job just as well.
Or one width of the larger one  the effect is dramatically fun. Bass is added in quantity (with a nice touch of different quality also) but the highs and mids remains untouched. It's the whole output that's increased, you might even perceive details more easily too.

I'm not a modder also, for the less in the world lol. Tape mod is the only thing I've ever done (indirectly) to (the pad of) a Grado. I consider Grado headphones almost perfect the way they are, colored and yes, flawed in some areas, but sooo musical and enjoyable. And, well less importantly, gorgeous (not the all plastic models, lol, but I do like the metal accents of the SR225), and comfortable... at first I couldn't not stand the scratchy foam, but after a few months of adaptation, slowly starting to use them more and more, I simply can't wear anything else. Grados are light to wear, never hot, and super comfortable-sounding (low listening fatigue, and I think it's because of the "just-right" extension on both ends of the spectrum). Comfort of the sound was my first scare when I bought a RS1 as my first headphone... but I was wrong.

"Light to wear" but I absolutely need my cotton "sport headband" under my "headphone headband": 

Because they simply hurt me otherwise.

I wear it like this  (left cup lifted for demonstration)

May 6, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #2,805 of 65,621
Quote:
hmmm what would be the next logical step for me if I wanted to go up the chain over good headphones? I currently have the alessandro MS1 and MS2i... hnmm

RS1 or PS500 I think!

The MS series are in the center of that, you want sparkly treble, feather-light headphone, it's the RS1, you want more balance (that's bass!... lol) and control (RS1 is out of control :p, I'm joking RS1i got very well controlled also, by "control" I mean flatter frequency response, as opposed to having some exaggerated frequency bands, like Grado used to be), the PS500.

PS500 is the new kid on the block, and got very popular also. It sounds fairly different from the idea of the Grado-house sound, which brought back new fans, and converted some. I think PS500 sounds more "normal" (no matter what that mean). So it's different by itself (not as different as the salad bowls using Grado) but the RS1 (and RS1i) is still the main carrier of the legacy of the royal family, and for like 10 years it has been the official flaghip of Grado. And it is still to me and my ears.

Both are a work of art on their own, if you like the style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back