Grado Fan Club!
Feb 22, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #1,906 of 65,621
I still don't want to run the risk of messing something up and ruining a pair of drivers which I do NOT have the cash to replace. Chris, as in Langley. SPEAKING OF WHICH. He wants to be UNbanned, like he asked the mods to ban him as to prevent him from posting because he lacks self control (who doesn't?). Anyway, he wants to be unbanned. Can anyone help him out with this? 

Feb 23, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #1,907 of 65,621

Quote:
I still don't want to run the risk of messing something up and ruining a pair of drivers which I do NOT have the cash to replace. Chris, as in Langley. SPEAKING OF WHICH. He wants to be UNbanned, like he asked the mods to ban him as to prevent him from posting because he lacks self control (who doesn't?). Anyway, he wants to be unbanned. Can anyone help him out with this? 

What'd he get banned for again? Him and I got along pretty well, shame he had to go.

Daowen (not sure what his handle is here) lent me his Martin Custom SR-225's for comparison they're built really nice and this is the first time I got to handle one of Marty's full builds. Everything is built fantastically and the Double Helix cable never fails to impress.

Sitting next to them are my personal RS-2i's so it was nice to compare how close to the RS-2 you can get with mods. The bass isn't there in quantity since the widemouths are kinda airer and let some of the bass impact out, but you wouldn't notice honestly. Both are awesome and I think if I had to do it again, it'd be a tough call. The beyer pad mod is AWESOME and I have to get one of these :)

Feb 23, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #1,908 of 65,621
Glad that you like the headphone chris! Don't listen to it too much till you forget to change the sleeve and plug! hahha

Feb 23, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #1,909 of 65,621

Quote:
Glad that you like the headphone chris! Don't listen to it too much till you forget to change the sleeve and plug! hahha

Yeah they're REALLY nice, I just like looking at them while listening to OTHER Grados I own haha.

I dunno about the red pads tho mang...

Feb 23, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #1,910 of 65,621
The red pads were an accident, I dyed the yellow pads with rits petal pink, hoping to get brownish/ orangish but it came out red lol

Oh well hopefully the red sleeve can match well hahaha

Feb 23, 2012 at 3:58 AM Post #1,911 of 65,621

Quote:
What'd he get banned for again? Him and I got along pretty well, shame he had to go.

Daowen (not sure what his handle is here) lent me his Martin Custom SR-225's for comparison they're built really nice and this is the first time I got to handle one of Marty's full builds. Everything is built fantastically and the Double Helix cable never fails to impress.

Sitting next to them are my personal RS-2i's so it was nice to compare how close to the RS-2 you can get with mods. The bass isn't there in quantity since the widemouths are kinda airer and let some of the bass impact out, but you wouldn't notice honestly. Both are awesome and I think if I had to do it again, it'd be a tough call. The beyer pad mod is AWESOME and I have to get one of these :)

he actually requested the mods ban him because he needed to focus on school, so now he wants them to unban him.

OK! So I'm gonna start getting together everything I need for my magnums. What makes the best shells? Which are the cheapest/best economical shells? Thanks!

Feb 23, 2012 at 5:47 AM Post #1,912 of 65,621

Quote:

he actually requested the mods ban him because he needed to focus on school, so now he wants them to unban him.

OK! So I'm gonna start getting together everything I need for my magnums. What makes the best shells? Which are the cheapest/best economical shells? Thanks!

PM Jude or Currawong, they both make **** happen here haha.

Martin Custom Audio or Ohrenholz make the best shells depending on your tastes. Martin is $150 but has a six month waitlist, Ohrenholz is $110 with no waitlist. I have bought a Martin and several Ohrenholz cups and were completely satisfied with what I got. I am not affiliated with either, I'm still mostly a consumer these days :)

TheLostMidrange makes the most economical shells from what I hear at well under $100. He can also do just plain wood rings that you can just put the stock plastic caps over too... those should be like $30 I believe.

Feb 23, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #1,913 of 65,621
I heard that the aluminum shells were the best option at one point for the magnums

Feb 23, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #1,914 of 65,621
i have the top of the tree grado ps1000s and they are my favourite cans some people say the hd800s are the best headphones you can get but i don't think so.. i say grado everytime even the i grados are good but it just a shame they cripple your ears because they bring a ipod to life and give them hifi sound for such a good price and built to last..

Feb 23, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #1,915 of 65,621

Quote:
i have the top of the tree grado ps1000s and they are my favourite cans some people say the hd800s are the best headphones you can get but i don't think so.. i say grado everytime even the i grados are good but it just a shame they cripple your ears because they bring a ipod to life and give them hifi sound for such a good price and built to last..

People have a bad habit of not liking things that they don't have. It's what these money-driven hobbies force people to do. I'll be honest I would have been happy with SR-80's a LONG LONG time ago if you told me they were $500 and had speakers infused with virgin tears.

HD800's are DEFINITELY not the best, even at the flagship level, people all agree it's a matter of taste. I for one, prefer my Magnum build and my RS-2i over the LCD-2 for example and I can say that since I've owned both, but I still wouldn't post that impression all over the place since I know people love their LCD-2's and to them thats the best.

For me, I like MOST of the high end (~4-500) cans, and thats what keeps the hobby exciting since I like to freely swap between them. I'm stuck in a Grado phase right now and have been for the last 8 months. Maybe HE-500 for me soon?

Feb 24, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #1,916 of 65,621

Quote:
People have a bad habit of not liking things that they don't have. It's what these money-driven hobbies force people to do. I'll be honest I would have been happy with SR-80's a LONG LONG time ago if you told me they were $500 and had speakers infused with virgin tears.

HD800's are DEFINITELY not the best, even at the flagship level, people all agree it's a matter of taste. I for one, prefer my Magnum build and my RS-2i over the LCD-2 for example and I can say that since I've owned both, but I still wouldn't post that impression all over the place since I know people love their LCD-2's and to them thats the best.

For me, I like MOST of the high end (~4-500) cans, and thats what keeps the hobby exciting since I like to freely swap between them. I'm stuck in a Grado phase right now and have been for the last 8 months. Maybe HE-500 for me soon?

I was considering the HE-400 but I already have a darker sound in my M-80s and wanted more grado lol. How are the magnums compared to the RS-2i? what housing are they in?

Feb 24, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #1,917 of 65,621

Quote:
I was considering the HE-400 but I already have a darker sound in my M-80s and wanted more grado lol. How are the magnums compared to the RS-2i? what housing are they in?

I have a magnum in RS-2i cups (no button) and an actual pair of RS-2i. I can't post pics since they're both recabled with my own product, but the magnum takes the Grado house sound and infuses more of the engaging qualities (yes darker) of the LCD-2 into the Grado house sound. No matter how much you love Grado, the sound still comes up a bit drier than most other in-house sounds of other headphones factually speaking, the Magnum fills in the gap without making it sound too artificial hence the cult following which has followed in the last few months.

Audibly the magnum setup is a gem. Someone needs to produce a standard model though, theres too much customwork right now as it is and I wish there was something like Lawton Audio's LA-2000 (super modded D2k) that was available and ready to go.

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #1,918 of 65,621

Quote:
I have a magnum in RS-2i cups (no button) and an actual pair of RS-2i. I can't post pics since they're both recabled with my own product, but the magnum takes the Grado house sound and infuses more of the engaging qualities (yes darker) of the LCD-2 into the Grado house sound. No matter how much you love Grado, the sound still comes up a bit drier than most other in-house sounds of other headphones factually speaking, the Magnum fills in the gap without making it sound too artificial hence the cult following which has followed in the last few months.

Audibly the magnum setup is a gem. Someone needs to produce a standard model though, theres too much customwork right now as it is and I wish there was something like Lawton Audio's LA-2000 (super modded D2k) that was available and ready to go.

I've never heard the LCD-2 but I can imagine my RS-1i but with a fuller meatier less thin sounding...sound. More importantly I should have asked, is it still that up close sound as opposed to a laid back one. Might as well try and get to a meet rather than keep pestering people about these lol. 

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #1,919 of 65,621

Quote:

Dude I am so jealous, and why can't you post pics exactly? What's your set up (DAC/amp)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back