Grado Fan Club!
Feb 24, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #1,921 of 65,724

Quote:
Just got some SR60is to finally listen to the Grado sound for myself, gosh they're expensive in Europe, paid $150 with standard shipping.

So what did you think?

I really connected with the SR80s...from what I understand they are almost identical to the 60s, except with just a bit more of a low end. The 80s just did it for me and I can't wait to hear their big brothers.

Feb 24, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #1,922 of 65,724

Quote:
So what did you think?

I really connected with the SR80s...from what I understand they are almost identical to the 60s, except with just a bit more of a low end. The 80s just did it for me and I can't wait to hear their big brothers.

Honestly, I don't know what to think. From what I've been reading I was expecting something very exclusive and incomparable but from my short time with them (30 minutes of listening) they're very tame, I can definitely see where people are coming from with the love/hate relationship with the soundstage, low and high frequencys but overall I'm definitely enjoying them, it's a welcome change to the darker signature I'm accustomed to.

They're definitely better built than I expected and they're definitely lookers, I wouldn't feel self-concious using them in public, I'm going to spend the day with them, but so far I'm pleasantly surprised.

Feb 24, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #1,923 of 65,724

Quote:
Honestly, I don't know what to think. From what I've been reading I was expecting something very exclusive and incomparable but from my short time with them (30 minutes of listening) they're very tame, I can definitely see where people are coming from with the love/hate relationship with the soundstage, low and high frequencys but overall I'm definitely enjoying them, it's a welcome change to the darker signature I'm accustomed to.

They're definitely better built than I expected and they're definitely lookers, I wouldn't feel self-concious using them in public, I'm going to spend the day with them, but so far I'm pleasantly surprised.

listen to the doors with them and then you will see how good they are the sr80i are a bit better sounding but the sr60i are still good you can get them for £60 in england from richer sounds and that's a bargain..the akg 450s are good aswell why didn't you get them from richer sounds if you are from west yorkshire i am from the northeast of england it's the only shop i use..

Feb 24, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #1,924 of 65,724

Quote:
I've never heard the LCD-2 but I can imagine my RS-1i but with a fuller meatier less thin sounding...sound. More importantly I should have asked, is it still that up close sound as opposed to a laid back one. Might as well try and get to a meet rather than keep pestering people about these lol. 

It still gets aggressive if need be but it's dialed back on that artificial treble spike that is the bane of Grado haters' existence. It's now a more group-friendly Grado, not just super badass treble that can kill you on some poorly recorded tracks that are overly "loud" when it comes to EQ.

Quote:
Dude I am so jealous, and why can't you post pics exactly? What's your set up (DAC/amp)

I have a Matrix Mini-i to Musical Fidelity XCAN V3 (fully upgraded by Pinkfloyd from RockGrotto). Both of those are taking a backseat to the NuForce HDP's I have right now though. I liked it so much I bought a second one to use on my home theater setup until they both sell.

I can't post pics cuz everything I have is recabled by me and I've received a warning for possible advertising before. Gotta be respectful of the place that's taken good care of me!

It looks like a regular RS-2i except with silver cable coming out of dem holes. 

Just buy the dang drivers already and I'll hold your hand through the Magnum building process!

Feb 24, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #1,926 of 65,724
Even though I have two headphones that are clearly superior, I just can't stop going back to the SR80i almost every day to get that Grado sound that I love. 

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #1,927 of 65,724
I think I saw a used pair for sale in the FS section here last night....

and Chris, I plan too mang!

Feb 24, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #1,929 of 65,724

Quote:
Even though I have two headphones that are clearly superior, I just can't stop going back to the SR80i almost every day to get that Grado sound that I love. 

Time to upgrade to SR325is and add dynamat xtreme to the backs of the drivers or go Magnum. 
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 24, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #1,931 of 65,724

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posam /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Originally Posted by Chris_Himself 

People have a bad habit of not liking things that they don't have. It's what these money-driven hobbies force people to do. I'll be honest I would have been happy with SR-80's a LONG LONG time ago if you told me they were $500 and had speakers infused with virgin tears.

HD800's are DEFINITELY not the best, even at the flagship level, people all agree it's a matter of taste. I for one, prefer my Magnum build and my RS-2i over the LCD-2 for example and I can say that since I've owned both, but I still wouldn't post that impression all over the place since I know people love their LCD-2's and to them thats the best.

For me, I like MOST of the high end (~4-500) cans, and thats what keeps the hobby exciting since I like to freely swap between them. I'm stuck in a Grado phase right now and have been for the last 8 months. Maybe HE-500 for m  
Posam:
I was considering the HE-400 but I already have a darker sound in my M-80s and wanted more grado lol. How are the magnums compared to the RS-2i? what housing are they in?

I think this hobby is more curiosity driven and unfortunately it costs money to satisfy that curiosity. I've been thinking about that HE 400 lately too, or maybe the HE 500. Sort of caught the ortho bug with my T50's. I'd have to part with my HF2 though to justify either, and I'm just not sure I'm willing to do that. Most of my music is guitar driven. Either electric or acoustic and my Grado's sound really good with that stuff. I'd still have my woodied 225's, so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Feb 24, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #1,932 of 65,724

Quote:
Haha! I was going to, but I think I'm gonna have to get the HD700's instead. :)

Sennheiser doesn't make Grados.  They make Sennheisers, lol.  That's something else altogether.

Have fun!

Feb 24, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #1,933 of 65,724
i meant get the grado ps500s over the senns hd700s..that's if it was meant for me that is from my thumbs up? i have got the grado ps1000s and they are much better headphones than the hd800s they sound like a pair of high quality performance six speakers..that's mordaunt short if you don't know them..

Feb 24, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #1,934 of 65,724
Haha! Yea, I know. But I really wanna try the HD700's, and if I do I'll have to wait before I can buy new Grados. But I will buy some, that's for sure, just not in the near future. 

Quote:
Sennheiser doesn't make Grados.  They make Sennheisers, lol.  That's something else altogether.

Have fun!

Feb 24, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #1,935 of 65,724

Quote:
i meant get the grado ps500s over the senns hd700s..that's if it was meant for me that is from my thumbs up? i have got the grado ps1000s and they are much better headphones than the hd800s they sound like a pair of high quality performance six speakers..that's mordaunt short if you don't know them..

Gee I can still recall you telling me about the PS1000 goodness ahead before I got my own pair - they're absolutely brill
smile.gif

And you're dead right - I've got all the time in the world for the HD800 - it's a masterpiece but it remains a simply brilliant
 headphone - only the LCD-3 and PS1000 have managed to trick me on the odd occasion that I'm still listening to a headphone
 - not a high end 2 channel rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back