Grado Fan Club!
Jan 29, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #1,787 of 65,629

Quote:
Just curious, how badly will you suffer from getting a cheap (under $200) turntable? 

Are you suggesting that I rediscover vinyl?

I think the only thing that would suffer would be my sanity from  falling furrther down the head fi rabbit hole. When I satrted reading head fi a couple of years ago I just wanted a descent pair of headphones (SR60's), then I wanted a DAC, then I wanted a better pair of Grado's (SR225's), then I wanted a better DAC, then I wanted a better pair of Grado's, then I wanted wood, then a vintage receiver, then some speakers, and then....

Jan 29, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #1,788 of 65,629
Speaking of vintage... I pickup up a Dual 1209 for $160. There are some very nice tables under $200.. and then you need a phono amp, and records(which tend to cost 3x more than CDs), and then you need a table or desk sturdy enough to reduce vibrations.... head-fi should be age restricted. This place is toxic for an 18 year old like me. :p

Jan 29, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #1,790 of 65,629

Quote:
Are you suggesting that I rediscover vinyl?

I think the only thing that would suffer would be my sanity from  falling furrther down the head fi rabbit hole. When I satrted reading head fi a couple of years ago I just wanted a descent pair of headphones (SR60's), then I wanted a DAC, then I wanted a better pair of Grado's (SR225's), then I wanted a better DAC, then I wanted a better pair of Grado's, then I wanted wood, then a vintage receiver, then some speakers, and then....

I was speaking more for myself, but it looks like your inner audiophile is calling you to get a turntable.

Jan 29, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #1,791 of 65,629
I've heard so many people swear up and down that vinyl sounds so much better though. Not just better but like legs and arms above digital, better.

Jan 29, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #1,792 of 65,629
I've heard so many people swear up and down that vinyl sounds so much better though. Not just better but like legs and arms above digital, better.

It could just be the mastering. I know for a fact that Electric Wizard brickwalls their CDs, and the vinyls are supposdly much much better. With metal vinyl is generally a lot better, but I can't tell you for sure until I get my vinyl setup up and running.

Jan 29, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #1,793 of 65,629

Quote:
I was speaking more for myself, but it looks like your inner audiophile is calling you to get a turntable.

Not really, the thought may have crossed my inner audiophiles mind, but my inner pragmatist went over and gave it a good smack. I have a source so that's not really an issue. The issue as Mowhawk referenced is adding vinyl to the mix is slighly more complicated than just adding a turn table. You need a source, a table to sit it on, a new cartridge perhaps, and some records. If I still had all the records I had collected from back in the day perhaps it would be a thought worth entertaining, but I dont; and having a separate vinyl collection complicates things even more, because now there are storage issues. So the whole question really becomes a matter of value. The medium has it's charm for sure. The acolytes of vinyl I'm sure have rediscovered the magic of music in that format. The problem for me personally is, I dont live somewhere with a record store. So there is no place for me to go and thumb through records or a bargain bin, nor as I've alredy mentioned, do I have an old collection of records that can be brought back to life. It's not a medium the industry really supports either, so as whitecrow said, it's a medium that is antiquated. I would also say it's one that lends itself more to a speaker based system than a headphone based system. Although that point is potentially very debatable.  From my perspective the trade offs of a digital system  versus an analog system, is what used to take a great deal of space, and needed to be stationary for practical reasons, is now very portable. Entire mucic collections can be stored on devices that fit in your pocket, and those devices can efficiently drive a nice set of heaphones, preferably Grado's of course
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #1,794 of 65,629
THE WIZARD probably have some great sounding Vinyl. I'm sure a ton of drone/doom/sludge what have you sounds particularly great, if anything cus it's loud as hell and amazing as is :)

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #1,795 of 65,629

Quote:
THE WIZARD probably have some great sounding Vinyl. I'm sure a ton of drone/doom/sludge what have you sounds particularly great, if anything cus it's loud as hell and amazing as is :)

You should check out Ghost, a newer doom/black metal band...they sound like Pink Floyd and Demon....or  Blue Oyster Cult and Blacksabath. Don't know about Vinyl on them but the CD sounded just find.

Jan 30, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #1,796 of 65,629
You should check out Ghost, a newer doom/black metal band...they sound like Pink Floyd and Demon....or  Blue Oyster Cult and Blacksabath. Don't know about Vinyl on them but the CD sounded just find.

I love that band, though I'm not sure I would call them metal. Its hard to call a band metal after they do a Beatles cover. :D

Jan 30, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #1,797 of 65,629
Got my grado's 125i today

Few things which i was surprised at, EQing to a sort of 'bass boost' type curve makes rock music sound better on these  (IMO) think itll improve then my LD MK II arrives

but they are fantastic, i love them, i want to find some bowl cups in the UK as i like closing my ears in but my oh my these things are perfect

Jan 30, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #1,798 of 65,629

Quote:
I love that band, though I'm not sure I would call them metal. Its hard to call a band metal after they do a Beatles cover.
biggrin.gif

yea...but they played at doom fest, chaos fest, and death fest....metal venues need to be more creative with names.

Jan 30, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #1,799 of 65,629
Hey there guys, I've chosen Grado as the brand for my first foray into audiophilia. However, I'm actually not sure as to what I should buy. I've only got around USD$160, and I'm conflicted between picking up a SR80i along with a cMoyBB to drive them, or straight out buying SR125i's. I'm kind of leaning toward the cans + amp, but I'd like to hear your opinions on it. I also own a pair of Yuin PK3's if it makes a difference.

Jan 30, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #1,800 of 65,629
I was on a similar budget and I chose the Alessandro MS1i...
I'm so fricking happy I did! i also purchased the L-Cush ear pads
and they make a world of difference from the flat pads.
Also, at first my ears got warm and a little uncomfortable so 
I stretched open the headband a little so the pressure eased up
and again A WORLD of DIFFERENCE...Now they are incredibly comfortable.
The Alessandro  Series cost me $110.
I couldn't be more happy with my HP'z...
I've already got about 55 hrs of burn time and they get better.

I listen to a cross genre of music...from Latin Jazz to Punk to Hip-Hop to Classical.
And it all sounds great!

Luis 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back