Grado Fan Club!
Jan 6, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #1,516 of 65,797
Comfies are going to bring the bass forward and deaden the treble to some degree. That is, of course, if you've cut a quarter sized hole out of the center. If not, you're going to get muddy sound. Comfies sound very similar to the old Grado Flats. The RS1 used to be voiced for flats, but now they seem to dim and shade the sound. The standard L Cush is king when it comes to clarity and a good soundstage.

The G Cush is going to do the inverse; the Bass will become distant and the upper register may become shrill. It's not pleasant in any way other than comfort. You can actually make a GS1000 or PS1000 (I assume on the PS1000, I haven't tried it) produce bass similar to a PS1 (read: brain-scrambling) by removing the G-Cush (we used to call them bagels) and popping on a flat / comfy. Doing so to a GS1000 can also kind of fix the issues with the treble being a touch pitchy. 

This is all from memory though, based on the first production run of the GS1000 and some pad rolling with an RS1.

Quote:
I had a question. I'm loving my PS500's, but I've heard people talk about trying different pads on them to get different sounds. I actually have the comfies (i think they call them) from my SR80is. And the PS500's came with the L Cush I believe? I'm using the stock L Cush currently.

Would putting the G Cush on them change the sound? What about the comfies? Basically, just curious what the different pads would do to the sound, and which one you guys think would be the best pair. I actually find the L Cush to be really comfortable. 

Jan 6, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #1,517 of 65,797

Quote:
Comfies are going to bring the bass forward and deaden the treble to some degree.That is, of course, if you've cut a quarter sized hole out of the center. If not, you're going to get muddy sound. Comfies sound very similar to the old Grado Flats. The RS1 used to be voiced for flats, but now they seem to dim and shade the sound. The standard L Cush is king when it comes to clarity and a good soundstage.

The G Cush is going to do the inverse; the Bass will become distant and the upper register may become shrill. It's not pleasant in any way other than comfort. You can actually make a GS1000 or PS1000 (I assume on the PS1000, I haven't tried it) produce bass similar to a PS1 (read: brain-scrambling) by removing the G-Cush (we used to call them bagels) and popping on a flat / comfy. Doing so to a GS1000 can also kind of fix the issues with the treble being a touch pitchy. 

This is all from memory though, based on the first production run of the GS1000 and some pad rolling with an RS1.

Modded comfies don't sound similar to Flats, like... not at all.

G-cush doesn't mess with the bass too much, but it makes the highs really prominent, and the music a bit quieter (for obvious reasons). At least, that is how I felt about them. 

Jan 6, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #1,518 of 65,797
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jan 6, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #1,519 of 65,797

Quote:

Hey satani, you may also want to read up on the Grado Magnum's. If you're willing to put about 400-600$ you can get a top tier headphone with these!

Check it out!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/434471/symphones-magnum-upgrade-for-grado-sr325-and-alessandro-ms2

+1000 on the magnums..

and they can be had much cheaper. I built mine, with full aluminum for 305 dollars, an optical cable, and the cost of a headband and a plug. 

Well, I guess that is around 400 :p

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #1,520 of 65,797

Quote:
I had a question. I'm loving my PS500's, but I've heard people talk about trying different pads on them to get different sounds. I actually have the comfies (i think they call them) from my SR80is. And the PS500's came with the L Cush I believe? I'm using the stock L Cush currently.

Would putting the G Cush on them change the sound? What about the comfies? Basically, just curious what the different pads would do to the sound, and which one you guys think would be the best pair. I actually find the L Cush to be really comfortable. 

The G cush are sort of a mixed bag IMO. The biggest improvement I think they offer is that they are much more comfortable than either the bowls or the comfies. They also offer improved soundstage, but the compromise here is that they are a lot more laid back, and recess the mids a bit so you dont get that in your face Grado attack. I havent used mine for a while, but wouldnt part with them either. I still want to try some flats, if anyone has a pair for sale. Also Tyll over at Inner Fidelity posted this a while back.

Evaluation of Grado Stock and Modified Ear-Pads

Jan 6, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #1,521 of 65,797
They're more similar to flats than anything else in the current pad lineup, but it's been a while since I did a direct comparison. 

I found the bagels unbearable with nearly any Grado I put them on though. 

Quote:
Modded comfies don't sound similar to Flats, like... not at all.

G-cush doesn't mess with the bass too much, but it makes the highs really prominent, and the music a bit quieter (for obvious reasons). At least, that is how I felt about them. 

Jan 7, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #1,522 of 65,797
Since this is the "Grado Fan Club" thread, I thought I'd toss in my recent changes.  Having been a fan of wooden cups and the Grado drivers, I was checking the FS section at times and would see the HF-2 headphones available.  I always questioned how they would perform.  I know when I owned the SR-325i Grados, I didn't care for the extra weight of the aluminum housings - nor, did I care for the sound either.  A bit weak on the bottom end, left me a bit frustrated - I guess that's what I like about the wooden cups.  Anyway, the HF-2 headphones don't seem quite as heavy as the SR-325i Grados were.  Also, the HF-2 headphones feature wooden inserts, for potentially improved sound.  So far, as I play these headphones throughout the day, I'm quite impressed with their sound.  Their price point in the used market is a bit below that of the RS-2 and a bit further below the RS-1.  I can't vouch for sonically, how the HF-2 compares to the RS-2 or RS-1 Grados.  However, the HF-2 has me impressed - and, I'm currently one of the Magnum fans who has been using the Magnum drivers in wooden housings.

About the only thing negative I can say about the HF-2 at this point is that since it is what I'd consider a "costlier" Grado, there is really little if anything I could modify on it - thus, it will just stay assembled as it was when Grado built it.  I guess this isn't so bad, as I'll still have some other headphones that I can work on with modifying, soldering, etc.

Jan 7, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #1,523 of 65,797
I have a question for all the 325is owners. I just just got a pair and wanted to know what is best. Should i reterminate balanced or get re-cabled and balanced?  My only amp is the RSA SR71-B so I dont have to worry about needing to use single ended. Thanks in advance.

Jan 7, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #1,524 of 65,797

Quote:
I have a question for all the 325is owners. I just just got a pair and wanted to know what is best. Should i reterminate balanced or get re-cabled and balanced?  My only amp is the RSA SR71-B so I dont have to worry about needing to use single ended. Thanks in advance.

It's not going to be cheap ~ but I'd suggest this

Get the 325i recabled in dual XLR 3pin male and then get this

Jan 7, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #1,525 of 65,797
Just the answer I wanted to hear!!! I am going to get the Silver Dragon cable and have Grado install it. Luckily enough. I have that exact adapter. I just bought it from Warp08(Great Seller!!!). Thanks for the answer.

Jan 7, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #1,526 of 65,797

Quote:
Just the answer I wanted to hear!!! I am going to get the Silver Dragon cable and have Grado install it. Luckily enough. I have that exact adapter. I just bought it from Warp08(Great Seller!!!). Thanks for the answer.

Good work man ~ that makes you a serious contender for 'Best 325i portable rig' out there in my opinion.

Got the SR71B here for the rest of today can you believe but guess what ~ no SR71B cable! Oh well, the hilarity never ends

Jan 7, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #1,527 of 65,797
Thanks!! This is my 1st day with the rig. I am loving it so far!  The 325is are so good with Metal. I am really happy i picked up the RSA SR71-B.

I crack myself up constantly(laughing at my mistakes)!! If you don't laugh you will go nuts!! Thanks again!!

Jan 8, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #1,528 of 65,797
Members, I am the former owner of the 60s and want to get back to the Grado sound. I have narrowed my decision to either the 225s or the 325s. My budget has grown so that I can afford either, but I cannot go any higher. I have diligently searched but cannot find in the forums on whether there is a consensus over which is preferred or better for rock and metal. Some claim the 325s are too bright or shrill, some claim not. I have no analog sources and some rock recordings are not that good. So I have some concern about the treble performance of the 325s. On the other hand, I do not trade or sell my equipment often and I want to get the best my budget will allow, which leads me towards the 325s. I want to rock with the Grados, so which ones will give me the most enjoyment. Thanks to all.

Jan 8, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #1,529 of 65,797
Im still debating if I should get a pair of Sr60is. Just want to ask you Grado lovers how portable do you think they are? Are you guys able to take them out with out any fuss? My concerns are the long cord and the leakage.

Jan 8, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #1,530 of 65,797
My first nice pair of headphones was the Sennheiser HD580 about 7-8 years ago. Around the same time I went to my first Head-Fi meet in San Jose.

I got my first chance to listen to some Grados at that meet and I made the easy choice of trading away the Senns for some Grados.

Ended up with some SR125's and a few months after that ended up with the SR225. No looking back since.

Love their sound, don't love their comfort/build quality.

Going to the Bay Area meet next month to hopefully listen to some GS/PS1000's

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back