Grado Fan Club!
Oct 30, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #1,201 of 65,638
Oct 30, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #1,202 of 65,638

Woh, you're the one that won the auction for those gody HP2s on ebay?
tongue_smile.gif
  Congrats!  
Btw, I've tried the Schiit lyr and asgard with the HP2s and very much preferred the asgard with the HP2s.  IMO, synergy between asgard & HP2 is superior to the lyr pairing.  Checking out Asr's impression with the asgard and HP2s.  His impressions are accurate to my findings.

Quote:
Actually, those are mine!

Oct 30, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #1,203 of 65,638

Quote:
Woh, you're the one that won the auction for those gody HP2s on ebay?
tongue_smile.gif
  Congrats!  
Btw, I've tried the Schiit lyr and asgard with the HP2s and very much preferred the asgard with the HP2s.  IMO, synergy between asgard & HP2 is superior to the lyr pairing.  Checking out Asr's impression with the asgard and HP2s.  His impressions are accurate to my findings.

Yes, I was very lucky to get those. Thanks.
The next pair went for $2550!!

The HP2s sounded very good with the Lyr, excellent with the Headroom Ultra, so I reckon the Asgard would be a good match as well.

But they sound SPECTACULAR with my Manley Stingray
gs1000.gif

Oct 30, 2011 at 6:05 AM Post #1,204 of 65,638

Quote:
Yes, I was very lucky to get those. Thanks.
The next pair went for $2550!!

The HP2s sounded very good with the Lyr, excellent with the Headroom Ultra, so I reckon the Asgard would be a good match as well.

But they sound SPECTACULAR with my Manley Stingray
gs1000.gif

Congrats to your great buy!
Time to track down a Melo or Grado HPA1 to get the taste of what they sounded like back in the days.
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 30, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #1,205 of 65,638

Quote:
Ho boy has the Grado bug bit you hard. How do you like them? What is the difference between the Prestige line and the HF-1 series sonically to your ears?

I haven't had much time to listen to them yet but so far I love them!

I don't quite remember what a stock SR80i sounds like but I do know that my modded pair is crazy in every way. Very up close and in your face, tons of thumping bass, very sharp highs and very upfront mids. It's had all the bass holes poked out, the grille mesh isn't as constrictive and all the driver cloth removed so it leaks like crazy and you can shine a light straight through the back and see everything.

The HF-1's on the other hand, sound more detailed but much more relaxed. The highs aren't so sharp/bordering on sibilant, the bass is toned down and the mids are also pulled away. It's much smoother than any Grado I've heard so far, which I'm attributing to the wood chambers. It's definitely easier to listen to them for long periods compared to the SR80i's but the SR80i's are just so fun to listen to since they''re just crazy across the spectrum.

The only thing I don't like about the HF-1 is the comfort, as the stock headband isn't as nice as the (still unpadded) aftermarket headband on the SR80i's. I'm still saving up the cash for one of the awesome ones that you have on your site. I think that'd solve all the comfort issues. I'm just having trouble deciding between brown or black leather...

Oct 30, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #1,206 of 65,638
Yeah I've heard that it's a more smooth Grado with a more robust and matured sound. 

A Grado will always be a Grado in terms of comfort. Remember, wear them forward, and high so that your ear doesn't touch any of the cheesecloth!

As for the color choice, I like the black just fine. The brown is sexy since we'd be introducing a little extra color, but I'm boring so I'm using the black one from Jin.

Oct 30, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #1,207 of 65,638

Quote:
Yeah I've heard that it's a more smooth Grado with a more robust and matured sound. 

A Grado will always be a Grado in terms of comfort. Remember, wear them forward, and high so that your ear doesn't touch any of the cheesecloth!

As for the color choice, I like the black just fine. The brown is sexy since we'd be introducing a little extra color, but I'm boring so I'm using the black one from Jin.

I'll probably go with black to be safer but if I had lots of money I'd go with brown + a bunch of wood bits (blocks, rod tips, etc) from Martin's Audio.

Also, I can usually wear my SR80i's w/ Senn HD414 pads all day without any problems. The bowls on the HF-1's are pretty scratchy since they're new and the headband isn't the greatest so it's not as comfortable.

Oct 31, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #1,208 of 65,638
Total fan of Grado SR-325is. Started with 80s, and soon upgraded. I don't think the 80s even have 60 hours on them.  

I don't find the highs to be harsh, maybe its because I don't listen to enough Geddy Lee. I do like my highs, and hate overdone bass.

I just ordered  the Schiit Asgard, and even though it is inexpensive, I can just see my digital audio purchases increasing even more as I search for the best recordings/remasters. The headphones by themselves are pretty unforgiving with poor recordings. It is pretty cool to dig through your CD collection and pull out some gems from the 1980s and early 90s. 

Oct 31, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #1,209 of 65,638

Quote:
Total fan of Grado SR-325is. Started with 80s, and soon upgraded. I don't think the 80s even have 60 hours on them.  

I don't find the highs to be harsh, maybe its because I don't listen to enough Geddy Lee. I do like my highs, and hate overdone bass.

I just ordered  the Schiit Asgard, and even though it is inexpensive, I can just see my digital audio purchases increasing even more as I search for the best recordings/remasters. The headphones by themselves are pretty unforgiving with poor recordings. It is pretty cool to dig through your CD collection and pull out some gems from the 1980s and early 90s. 

I agree on the 325is, and the 80s-90s music. Unfortunately I'm only rockin' a Little Dot 1+ and I am PERFECTLY FINE WITH IT THANK YOU.
rolleyes.gif

Some day...
biggrin.gif
. However, I think I'll try and find one of those JMoney headbands first.

Oct 31, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #1,211 of 65,638
The Little Dot I+ is the best for its price. Tweaking it with the right opamp and tubes, it definitely sounds more than what is worth. Oh yeah, rolling with Large Shield Mullard M8083 and OPA2107 opamp. 

Quote:
Fortunately, I am rockin' a Little Dot I+ with PS500.........LM4562 and PhilipsECG JAN6028 (408A)..........800mW @ 32 Ohms is nothing to sneeze at :).........the gain setting is on low and my normal volume position is 8 to 11 o'clock depending on the mastering. Plenty loud for my taste. A Pioneer transport with BB PCM1796 DAC (123dB, 0.0005 THD+N) feeds the LD I+ an unaltered flat signal...........the result is beautiful audio. No doubt there is better, but for what you pay, it's dam great.

Oct 31, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #1,213 of 65,638
New Grado Fan here.  I recently purchased a pair of SR60i from a Head-fi member and once I listened, I knew the Grado sound was for me.  I find them very intimate, engaging and musical.  I also like the look and feel of them too, so an all around winner for me.  Well, I like them so much I just pulled the trigger on a pair of RS2i being sold by a member here.  I'm considering picking up either a LD IV or a Maverick D1 to drive them.

Oct 31, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #1,214 of 65,638
wow thats a big jump there.. from sr60 to the rs2. Anyhow, they are all good.

Quote:
New Grado Fan here.  I recently purchased a pair of SR60i from a Head-fi member and once I listened, I knew the Grado sound was for me.  I find them very intimate, engaging and musical.  I also like the look and feel of them too, so an all around winner for me.  Well, I like them so much I just pulled the trigger on a pair of RS2i being sold by a member here.  I'm considering picking up either a LD IV or a Maverick D1 to drive them.

Oct 31, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #1,215 of 65,638

Quote:

Congratulations on the new found Grado goodness.

Make sure you pick an amp that excels with low 32ohm impedance. A few on here love the Little 1+ which does well with
the Grado range. LD IV only delivers a max of 100mW at 32 ohms, it excels at 120 ohm/300mW and above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back