Grado Fan Club!
Sep 8, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #916 of 65,645

small point but it looks like they’re not using Arial font (thankfully) on the engraving around the edge. the G in Grado is the most obvious difference.

that’s assuming the engraving is final and not some preliminary thing or if it was photoshopped in.

Sep 8, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #917 of 65,645

Quote:

Yeah, but $600 can also buy me a new pair of SR-225i Grados, some rad wooden cups and have $300 to spare towards an amp. 
wink.gif

Bulls eye
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 8, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #918 of 65,645

Quote:
Interesting.  Very interesting.  What is Grado's MSRP on these new headphones?

Thanks,

$595

Quote:
I wonder how those PS500 will compare to the HF2… or is this is just going to be a long run production version of the HF2. (it looks exactly the same down to the angles cut into the metal cups so I guess Grado isn’t making an attempt to avoid the comparison).

I look forward to reading some impressions and comparisons.

I did not think to take my HF-2s with me when I went to Grado Labs to listen to them. So Until I get them I cant compare. The signature did seem sort of different from what I remember of the HF-2. 

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Sep 8, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #920 of 65,645
Hmmm, maybe I moved a day too fast in buying my RS-1i's today.  :)

Sep 8, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #921 of 65,645

Quote:
For all you Grado fans. Grado just released the new PS500 headphones. Here is a picture. I dont have a lot of details yet. I got to listen to them this summer while visiting Grado. Very nice for sure but need to compare them to my PS-1s. We just put our order in so hopefully I can compare soon to some other Grado phones. Sorry the picture is not great it is all the have. I put more info in my forum and will add to it as I find out more info.

Well, Drew it's time for me to sell my RS-2 and both my SR-125 and give you a call!

Sep 8, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #922 of 65,645

Quote:

Well, Drew it's time for me to sell my RS-2 and both my SR-125 and give you a call!

Just as I was happy and content to save up for a GS1000i - they pull me back in.

PS500
Features:
Vented diaphragm
Hybrid air chamber
UHPLC copper voice coil wire
UHPLC copper connecting cord

Tranducer type
dynamic
Operating principle
open air
Frequency Response
14-29
SPL 1mW
Normal Impedance
32ohms
Driver matched db

There is art in the heart and soul of every Grado product. The PS500 truly conveys the heart and soul of every
musical performance you will listen to through them. This is the result of the art learned over the course of almost
60 years of designing and manufacturing products that faithfully follows music.

A compact monitoring tool that will put a smile on the face of the most demanding music professionals as
well of demanding audiophiles.
Happy Listening,
John Grado

Sep 8, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #923 of 65,645
I dunno about Grados for monitoring...

Hey hey hey since you own K601's do you feel they're kind of close to an SR-80 but with tolerable highs? I JUST got back from listening to a pair and I really like them now compared to angry basshead terrible portable amp Chris back in the 2007 days.

Sep 8, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #924 of 65,645
I almost jumped up from my seat and started clapping at the news of PS500, if these sounded anywhere near PS-1 gonna have to order them soon!

Sep 9, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #925 of 65,645
yeah me too, really looking forward to some reviews. Time for a upgrade from my sr325i

Quote:
I almost jumped up from my seat and started clapping at the news of PS500, if these sounded anywhere near PS-1 gonna have to order them soon!

Sep 9, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #926 of 65,645

Quote:
yeah me too, really looking forward to some reviews. Time for a upgrade from my sr325i

Theres that "Magnum" upgrade which seems to be worth looking into...

Sep 9, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #927 of 65,645

Quote:
Theres that "Magnum" upgrade which seems to be worth looking into...

But, but, look at the PS500, it oozes and radiates,"Hey, you there, yeah you the one with a Grado on. Go ahead click that add to cart button, you know you want to, don't lie to yourself. Tch.".

Sep 9, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #928 of 65,645

Quote:
I dunno about Grados for monitoring...

Hey hey hey since you own K601's do you feel they're kind of close to an SR-80 but with tolerable highs? I JUST got back from listening to a pair and I really like them now compared to angry basshead terrible portable amp Chris back in the 2007 days.

Hey Chris,

Really different presentation. The SR80 on bowls does manage to grow a sound-stage that is almost as wide
at times with certain recordings, but the K601 adds more depth and generally offers up more airy 3D space
to the sound. The highs are tamed that's for sure, I've got a Joy Division vinyl rip that almost tears my head off
with the SR80/325's but the shrill is tolerable with the K601's.

Biggest difference is how the K601 drops you in the middle of the room instead of being in the front row.
Again, totally dependent on the recording but I'm currently puzzled at the moment with my Fleetwood Mac
'Rumours' rip - It's really intimate on the 325i's but far too distant and delicate on the AKG's.

Sep 9, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #929 of 65,645
Right, I forgot to mention soundstage, but the mids feel the same right?

Sep 9, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #930 of 65,645

Quote:
Right, I forgot to mention soundstage, but the mids feel the same right?

Yep, fairly similar. What I do find is that the AKG tends to change according to the recording much more so than the upfront
Grados. Mids are beautiful, especially with female vocals.

For me, it's a nice polar opposite to have on hand.

The K601's respond nicely to a 6-7Db boost in the 32 & 60 Hz range for that extra warmth with old school reggae and dub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back