Grado Fan Club!
Jul 18, 2011 at 5:55 AM Post #691 of 65,602

Quote:
I tried amping my MS1s with a Denon DRA-625RA and quite liked the effect. Will an actual headphone amp be even better?

It'll pretty much be more of the same, with less THD (noise floor), but yes.

Aug 3, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #692 of 65,602
Ok, so I loves me some SR225i! They are fantastic and think that they, as well as the 80is, pair beautifully with my TBH (although I haven't tried other amps, I don't feel the need too with these cans.) I know that I am going to want to upgrade at some point here, and have decided to stop reading reviews for other cans because I continuously change my mind. I want to stick with Grados, so I am going to decide between the RS2i and RS1i. What I am hoping for, is someone to tell me the strengths and weaknesses of both. Know that I listen to Metal and Rock 90% of the time. Also, I would like to know of an amp and dac (doesn't need to be a amp/dac combo) that pair nicely with these cans. This will be my future rig. Thanks ahead of time
biggrin.gif

Aug 4, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #694 of 65,602

Quote:
Ok, so I loves me some SR225i! They are fantastic and think that they, as well as the 80is, pair beautifully with my TBH (although I haven't tried other amps, I don't feel the need too with these cans.) I know that I am going to want to upgrade at some point here, and have decided to stop reading reviews for other cans because I continuously change my mind. I want to stick with Grados, so I am going to decide between the RS2i and RS1i. What I am hoping for, is someone to tell me the strengths and weaknesses of both. Know that I listen to Metal and Rock 90% of the time. Also, I would like to know of an amp and dac (doesn't need to be a amp/dac combo) that pair nicely with these cans. This will be my future rig. Thanks ahead of time
biggrin.gif

I cant help you with your RS2i...RS1i quandry really but most people would direct you to the RS1 I'm guessing. Although a couple of head fiers that have posted in this thread, Kevin Brown and CEE TEE are very fond of their RS2i's. They both have HF2's as well, a couple of real Grado heads those two
biggrin.gif

Anyway I think from the perceptions I've heard from those two they really like their are RS2's. Maybe not more than their HF2's but I'm not sure. I know Kevin likes the RS2 more than the MS Pro. If I were you I'd just woody your 225

All three of us have Audio Gd Sparrow's. Although CEE TEE I think gave his to a friend. I know at one time Kevin had loaned his Sparrow to CEE TEE who was also borrowing a Bench Mark Dac at the time and he thought the B version Sparrow compared very favorably to the Bench Mark, so fvaorably that he ended up buying one. Somewhere in the last 3 or 4 of pages of the Sparrow thread there are thoughts from both CEE TEE and myself, but really I think any of the Audio GD products would be a great choice.

Aug 4, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #695 of 65,602
Hi Guys!

I have not directly compared the RS1i with RS2i but I have compared RS2i with MS-Pros and preferred the RS2i outright.  Less peaky at one particular frequency area that affects violin.

I dig the RS2i enough not to hunt down the RS1i.  purrin has me wanting to try the RS2i out of an Eddie Current design though...he likes the ECBA with them.

On the MUCH less expensive front, I think the Sparrow "B" with USB, 96K, DIR9001 module, & AD1852 chip is just great for $160 and Grados!

I found this one unlistenable though:  Sparrow A + USB +DIR8416 module for 192khz.  It uses the Wolfson chip and I found it "smeared".

Yep, I did want to get another "B" so I could lend out my Benchmark- but my iBasso D12 is working again so I haven't had a good enough reason...

Enjoy and I would look at the FR graphs of the RS1i and RS2i...might at least show you some relative differences.  Inner Fidelity even has HF-2 graphs!

beerchug.gif
  By my avatar...I'm still a Grado head.

Aug 4, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #696 of 65,602
I started out with the igrados 'bout a year ago as an alternative to in ears. Two months after that i got the SR80i's. Last week my wife bought me RS2i's as a gift !!!

I love my grados... er umm... i love my wife !!! :D

Aug 4, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #697 of 65,602

Quote:
biggrin.gif

Little Dot Mk1/2/3/
Headamp Gilmore Lite
iBasso D3/D4
Firestone Audio ANYTHING, I love their products!

I've used SR225's with all of them. I've heard everything from a PA2v2, to a Woo Audio WA22... after a certain point you're just being silly with what you run with Grados. You want to spend money on really warm sounding tube amps with easily rollable tubes. Mapletree EAR+ HD is pretty much the holy grail amp to me!

Honestly that total bithead is great though. The burr brown opamp they picked is like perfect for Grados I feel.

The next step is probably the two DAC/amps I picked.

Aug 4, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #698 of 65,602
I got bit by the Grado bug earlier this year when I picked up the Alessandro MS1i. At first listen, I didn’t like them very much but I got used to the sound quickly and never looked back. I then woodied the MS1is and found some better bass. 

Craving more refinement I got a pair of used RS2s (with the button) and, just recently, went a bit nuts and picked up the flagship PS1000  and HF2. they are so amazing. great grado midrange and urgency but with incredible bass (and wonder soundstage, tonality and detail in the ps1000)

I have since sold the RS2 and the MS1i but all other headphones I’ve tried (Denon D5000, LCD2, ESW9) have lost to the incredibly engaging sound of the Grados. they are all I have left in my house now.

At this point, I might pick up some SR60s or SR80s that I can toss around but I don’t see myself getting any other high end cans anytime in the foreseeable future.

Aug 4, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #699 of 65,602
Wow!  She's a Sweetie...the equivalent gift in return might be an Hermes scarf?

Love 'em both!!  (Wife more, of course...)

Quote:
I started out with the igrados 'bout a year ago as an alternative to in ears. Two months after that i got the SR80i's. Last week my wife bought me RS2i's as a gift !!!

I love my grados... er umm... i love my wife !!!
biggrin.gif

Aug 4, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #700 of 65,602
Wow!  She's a Sweetie...the equivalent gift in return might be an Hermes scarf?

Love 'em both!!  (Wife more, of course...)

Hey CEE TEE,

I wasn't sure what a hermes scarf was so i had to google it. I'm thinking i should have asked for the RS1's !!! Those scarves aren't cheap!!! :wink:

Aug 4, 2011 at 4:48 AM Post #702 of 65,602
We're very lucky...and should be happy to give back!

(She sounds great...no pun intended. 
tongue.gif

Quote:
Hey CEE TEE,

I wasn't sure what a hermes scarf was so i had to google it. I'm thinking i should have asked for the RS1's !!! Those scarves aren't cheap!!!
wink.gif

Aug 4, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #703 of 65,602
Thanks for all the responses everyone! All this new info should definitely help me make my decision a bit easier.

Aug 7, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #705 of 65,602
My first Grado was the 80i...but my sister took it the day I got it
triportsad.gif
 (she needed a pair and liked the Grado which were not big and heavy like my Audio Technicas). I had to wait till she goes to sleep every night to take them and listen for myself....
After one week of sneaking around, I had enough and had to have one for myself....so I bought the MS Pro
But the bowl pads were so uncomfortable for me I couldn't wear them for more than half an hour so I got upset and sold the MS pro and got a MS1....I don't think anyone here has gone that route lol...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back