Grado Fan Club!
Apr 6, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #436 of 65,587

Quote:
Yes I still have them and as for now they are just chillin' there. I can't stop listening to my 225i. They just sound SO GOOD!! 
biggrin.gif

OK, here is what you need to do...get a hair dryer and warm up your SR80's. It softens up the glue that holds the driver housing and the plastic outer cup together. Take a ball point pen and poke out 4 of the holes. No need to do all 10 like in the picture, 4 is good enough.

Put your SR80's back together, plug them and give them a listen, then report back.

Apr 6, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #437 of 65,587

Quote:

OK, here is what you need to do...get a hair dryer and warm up your SR80's. It softens up the glue that holds the driver housing and the plastic outer cup together. Take a ball point pen and poke out 4 of the holes. No need to do all 10 like in the picture, 4 is good enough.

Put your SR80's back together, plug them and give them a listen, then report back.

I'll be willing to do that soonish, but not quite yet. When I do it though, what exactly am I poking the holes into?

Apr 6, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #438 of 65,587

Quote:
I'll be willing to do that soonish, but not quite yet. When I do it though, what exactly am I poking the holes into?

Relax - unlike the misinformation posted elsewhere on this forum, you arent poking holes into the driver ! Only an epileptic could seriously damage their phones with this part of the mod.

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #439 of 65,587

Quote:

I'm not sure what the technical term for what your poking the holes into is, but as estreeter says it's not the driver itself. That's why it's suggested to use a ball point pen. The tip of the pen is large enough to perform the task, but not so large that it could inadvertantly damage the driver. I can understand your reluctance to tear apart a perfectly good set of Grados and start poking holes in stuff. Makes sense to me.

Even if you dont poke the holes, adding wood to your SR80's is more or less a similar process. Assuming you aquire a pair of wood cups, all you would need to do is get out the hair dryer; warm up your phones so the glue gets gooey; separate the driver housing from the plastic cup and insert it into the wooden one. You may have to shim it up a little with some electrical tape but it's super easy stuff.

The point here is this though, your 80's with wooden shells will sound better than your 225's.

Apr 7, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #440 of 65,587

Quote:
Sure can my man.

How much are you selling those shells for matey? What would you say is the best sounding? I already own a pair of Bill's cocobolo's so if it's just going to be a repeat in sound I may just save up my money for other endeavors. 

Apr 7, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #441 of 65,587
I sent you a PM Melvins. 

Apr 7, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #442 of 65,587

Quote:

I'm not sure what the technical term for what your poking the holes into is, but as estreeter says it's not the driver itself. That's why it's suggested to use a ball point pen. The tip of the pen is large enough to perform the task, but not so large that it could inadvertantly damage the driver. I can understand your reluctance to tear apart a perfectly good set of Grados and start poking holes in stuff. Makes sense to me.

Even if you dont poke the holes, adding wood to your SR80's is more or less a similar process. Assuming you aquire a pair of wood cups, all you would need to do is get out the hair dryer; warm up your phones so the glue gets gooey; separate the driver housing from the plastic cup and insert it into the wooden one. You may have to shim it up a little with some electrical tape but it's super easy stuff.

The point here is this though, your 80's with wooden shells will sound better than your 225's.

I wonder what my 225i would sound like if I woodied them...
rolleyes.gif

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #443 of 65,587

Quote:
I wonder what my 225i would sound like if I woodied them...
rolleyes.gif

That's what I was thinking when I ordered a B stock 225 from Headroom. The first 225 I had was better than my SR60. My impression though when I had both, was the 225 although better, in that it seemed airier and more detailed was it's pretty much the same. Sacrieige I know but it's how I felt. I ended up getting an MS2 after a brief respite with a Denon d2000 then sold the MS2 to finance a pair of HF2's.

When I woodied my 60's and recabled them, my impression was they were airier and more detailed bringing them up to the SQ of a 225 and perhaps and probably surpassing them. Going back to what wje said, you wont regret an investment in wood cups.

Apr 7, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #445 of 65,587
^ That sounds like a good idea! A new headband and some wood cups are on my list of things to get this summer! As well as some A2s, a Schiit Asgard, a new DAC and some HD600s! Looks like I got some saving to do 
biggrin.gif

Apr 7, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #446 of 65,587

Quote:
^ That sounds like a good idea! A new headband and some wood cups are on my list of things to get this summer! As well as some A2s, a Schiit Asgard, a new DAC and some HD600s! Looks like I got some saving to do 
biggrin.gif

May I suggest you considering an Audio gd FUN? A lot of headfiers can vouche for the great sinergy with SR225i and HD650. It should do a great couple with the HD600 too.

Apr 7, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #447 of 65,587

Quote:
May I suggest you considering an Audio gd FUN? A lot of headfiers can vouche for the great sinergy with SR225i and HD650. It should do a great couple with the HD600 too.

You may! Thats one of the options I am considering, and I am considering it even more after you say that.

Apr 7, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #448 of 65,587
My pleasure, cheers 
beerchug.gif

I think grados and senns complement each other like yin and yang 
biggrin.gif

Apr 7, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #450 of 65,587

Quote:
I'd have said more like Yin and Smith myself.

BTW, compliments for spelling "complement" correctly. There are prizes for that now.
wink.gif

yin and smith?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back