Grado Fan Club!
Feb 22, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #331 of 65,611
Yeah, sign me up to. Last night I had a revelation listening to Deadwing by Porcupine Tree. Tonight I punched 8 holes in my SR80i..
Who knows what tomorrow may bring?
Grados are made with magic, IMO. There's no other explanation.

Feb 22, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #334 of 65,611
May I ask why you're making such a claim?

Many people here at Head-Fi and several other forums praise the RA-1 with Grado headphones. It's not quoted as the best amp, it's just quoted as a pretty good option with the Grados.

Have you tried the CMoy with Grados VS. RA-1 with Grados? If you did, please elaborate so we can all learn from your past experiences instead of just calling it "garbage".

Quote:
This is a public service announcement. The RA-1 is garbage. A CMOY would serve you better.

Feb 22, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #335 of 65,611

Quote:
May I ask why you're making such a claim?

Many people here at Head-Fi and several other forums praise the RA-1 with Grado headphones. It's not quoted as the best amp, it's just quoted as a pretty good option with the Grados.

Have you tried the CMoy with Grados VS. RA-1 with Grados? If you did, please elaborate so we can all learn from your past experiences instead of just calling it "garbage".

Why certainly, I'd love to. The RA-1 is more or less a CMOY clone (with a couple special parts for grados) in an expensive box. An A47 (http://benfeist.com/a47/) would be a better amp to choose than an RA-1, and it can be built for portable use. I'd elaborate further, and I might later, so stick around, but I have homework to do.

Feb 22, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #337 of 65,611

Quote:
I'm also officially in the Grado fanclub. I only have a pair of SR60i's, but I absolutely love the sound. So much I'm looking into getting some Gradio IEM's in a little while. But I rarely see Grado's IEM's being talked about(or maybe I'm just not looking hard enough), just their cans.

So does anyone have any experience with their IEM's? I'm looking to getting something a little more portable, so I'm thinking those or the iGrado's.

Check out this thread, Jokers review of 146 IEMs. I just got the Sunrise SW Xcape.

Feb 23, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #338 of 65,611

Quote:
Thinking of selling my newly mod'd 225's to fund (yet) another purchase! What kind of price should I be asking ?

I see you are using the Grados with a Little Dot amp. From my experience they are not the best amp for the SR-225. With my Alessandro the sound was, well, rubbish actually... ;p Perhaps you like the Grados more with a solid state or hybrid?

Feb 23, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #339 of 65,611
Ahhh, when did the SR80 release the first time?

I can't find that by Google :frowning2:

Feb 23, 2011 at 5:26 AM Post #340 of 65,611

Quote:
I see you are using the Grados with a Little Dot amp. From my experience they are not the best amp for the SR-225. With my Alessandro the sound was, well, rubbish actually... ;p Perhaps you like the Grados more with a solid state or hybrid?

I thought Little DOt 1+ was the best? er..one of the best

Feb 23, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #342 of 65,611

Quote:

The Alessandro sound was rubbish likely because Alessandro is rubbish. The LD 1+ is regarded as having fantastic synergy with Grados. I know my LD 1+ and my 325's make the most beautiful music together. I cannot imagine a better pairing and I would love to hear it if there is one because I would be shelling out the cash to get whatever amp that was.

Feb 23, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #343 of 65,611

Quote:

Well I'm still getting used to it. I do like it but am not sure if I will keep it? I have an Audisnt mx-1 which has a little ss amp in it (I use it mainly for it's lovely little DAC) and that also makes my cans sing (for such a small, cheap, little known unit from Korea). I really like the clean crisp uncoloured sound from it and for that reason I want to try a matrix M-stage against the LD but don't really want to spend the spondoolies just purely for trying it. I have a few sets tubes for the LD and once I'm used to hearing these Mulls(M8161) I will give the others a go. I don't really use the 225's anymore that's why I mod'd them (coz I could without worrying about becoming headphoneless) and also why I am considering letting them go to another home. I use the LD with my RS-1's. I love a nice warm airy thud in the ear and upto now I'm gettin it (+ a bit more of course). That said I must admit that I REALLY want to try a WOO (as well as....well everything that makes my noise sweeter). LD1+ is also tempting after hearing so many good words said about it's synergy with the big G's. I assume you changed all the settings on your LD to try match it as best as pos to your MS's, I am surprised you were unimpressed. I've never listened to the MS's but I do understand they carry a somewhat different sound sig to grado's?

Feb 23, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #344 of 65,611
SWEET. Think I'm just going to save up money for the LD1+ instead of getting the AD700's.

Feb 23, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #345 of 65,611

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmAndHammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Alessandro sound was rubbish likely because Alessandro is rubbish. The LD 1+ is regarded as having fantastic synergy with Grados. I know my LD 1+ and my 325's make the most beautiful music together. I cannot imagine a better pairing and I would love to hear it if there is one because I would be shelling out the cash to get whatever amp that was.

You sir, are wrong. :wink: Anyway, I was not referring to the LD1+ which should be a very good choice for Grados as it is a hybrid. The amp yomamma has is not a LD1+, but a LD MKIV (SE).

Quote:
 I've never listened to the MS's but I do understand they carry a somewhat different sound sig to grado's?

Grados are more energetic and aggressive. Alessandro is the neutral cousin of Grado.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back